"Official" threads

Soldato
It seems to be a tradition that whenever anything big/interesting is coming up someone will create an 'official' thread, put some stars on it and a bit of info. As of that point, anyone talking about the subject matter in a different thread or asking any questions will be immediately shot down/ignored unless they go to a 2k post thread and find out there.

Now I understand some people don't want page 1 of the forum view to be 13 different BF3 threads or 11 different threads asking which augs to buy in DX3 but is it too much to ask that whoever creates the 'official' thread at least takes the time to update it with information?

Take the BF3 thread, for instance. It was created almost two years ago and still has OcUK preorder information (with a price you can no longer order the game for), has no beta information, etc. It was updated at some point in the past month at least so I guess this is better than nothing.

My point basically is: if we're going to go for this 'one thread' route then can we please make sure the OP in the thread is up to date? Is there a way to make wiki-style pages on these forums where we could all update the OP with relevant information?

Soldato
Take the BF3 thread, for instance. It was created almost two years ago and still has OcUK preorder information (with a price you can no longer order the game for), has no beta information, etc. It was updated at some point in the past month at least so I guess this is better than nothing.

My point basically is: if we're going to go for this 'one thread' route then can we please make sure the OP in the thread is up to date? Is there a way to make wiki-style pages on these forums where we could all update the OP with relevant information?

Good point!

Some do update their OP but as you say, many don't. Perhaps this should be made a rule around here regarding "Offical" threads.

Soldato
One thread with all the information updated = good. The RAGE thread and it's OP is a great example of this.

It annoys me slightly when we get one big release and end up with a dozen idiotic questions all in their own thread clogging up the first page. Especially if it's a game I font care much for. :p

Suggestion: If there's an "official" thread that doesn't get it's OP updated, make a new "All XYZ game information" thread if you want. All the one off questions should always go in the existing threads IMO though.

If an OP can't be bothered updating a thread, he should be making an "official" thread.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Very rarely do i make official threads, mostly it's just GAME - Thread or Game - Type ( INDIE )

Tend not to update the main op but the thread is updated with the latest info as much as I can. I very rarely visit the original op in any thread BF3 for example. What does mildly annoy me though is when there is a major thread, someone posts a seperate one like DEMO or asking questions when it could've easily have been posted in the main one.

Soldato
***OFFICIAL POST*** - Very rarely do i make official threads, mostly it's just GAME - Thread or Game - Type ( INDIE )

Tend not to update the main op but the thread is updated with the latest info as much as I can. I very rarely visit the original op in any thread BF3 for example. What does mildly annoy me though is when there is a major thread, someone posts a seperate one like DEMO or asking questions when it could've easily have been posted in the main one.

Oh really? :rolleyes:, nice edit btw.

Man of Honour
One thread with all the information updated = good. The RAGE thread and it's OP is a great example of this.

It annoys me slightly when we get one big release and end up with a dozen idiotic questions all in their own thread clogging up the first page. Especially if it's a game I font care much for. :p

Suggestion: If there's an "official" thread that doesn't get it's OP updated, make a new "All XYZ game information" thread if you want. All the one off questions should always go in the existing threads IMO though.

If an OP can't be bothered updating a thread, he should be making an "official" thread.

Indeed. A lot of people like to post official threads as they seem to think that it somehow makes them look 'cool' on the forums. Always brings a little rolleyes smiley to my mind when I see this.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Came in expecting info on a new game where by I held an Official role in some sort of Public office somewhere.

Now leaving disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom