*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
In that case it really does sound like it was running at 100. Odd that it's doing that if the cable has tested OK. I guess it could be a port problem, have you tried a different switch port?

Caporegime
In that case it really does sound like it was running at 100. Odd that it's doing that if the cable has tested OK. I guess it could be a port problem, have you tried a different switch port?
Aye I tried switching ports without luck sadly. I don't get a chance to specify the port number with the command you gave me above, as soon as I've typed status I get "An invalid interface has been used for this command.", I'm probably making a basic mistake there.

Platypus, photos of the terminations.. what brand are the modules / patch panel / cable.

Tried new patch leads?
Terminated by yours truly! I've wired up the rest of the house (16 cables so far) and the rest are running at gigabit just fine - and as before the testers both show ok. Terminated plenty of cables "in my time" so to speak. It's all connectix cabling stuff. Will get photos later.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just installed my AP-AC-LR (the upgraded PoE version).

Seems to be working fine, but it is not any faster (and from my testing slower) than my RT-N66U.

Edit: Maybe I should have gone with the pro... oh well, next time!

Signal strength seems to be solid, but top end performance seems to be lacking... (40Mhz channels as the performance with 80mhz channels tanks like no tomorrow...)

Im not overly impressed with mine either, I had a TP Link access point before I got the Unifi. Set it up in the same place as my TP Link, higher up though and Im getting roughly the same signal strength as before.

I refuse to spend another £100 on a 2nd one to finish getting signal to the area its missing. Ive bought tp link extender to do that, and it seems to be working ok so far

Soldato
Ordered a cloud key, should arrive soon.

Quick question, if my current controller is on an older software release than the cloud key, can I still backup and restore my configuration to the cloud key?

Im currently using a docker for the controller but it’s stuck on the lts 5.6.37

Don
I would only backup and restore to the same version.

Update your docker or..

On another pc, install the Windows version 5.6.37, restore your config to it. Then upgrade that to whatever version the cloudkey is on and take a new backup of that Windows version to restore to the cloudkey

Soldato
Hi guys, How meny clients can use 1 unif at once? I have about a max of 11-12 devices connected to mine at once, but I have noticed if there's 3 devices at once downloading or streaming media the "Utilized bar" shoots up quite a fair bit? Also 99% of the time theres always interference, I have tried 1,6 and 11channels on the 2ghz but the interference is roughly the same on all? I am using 40mhz on the 2.4ghz as that seems to produce a stronger signal but I have turned down the signal power to 18dbm.

314qc1y.jpg

Soldato
Hi guys, How meny clients can use 1 unif at once? I have about a max of 11-12 devices connected to mine at once, but I have noticed if there's 3 devices at once downloading or streaming media the "Utilized bar" shoots up quite a fair bit? Also 99% of the time theres always interference, I have tried 1,6 and 11channels on the 2ghz but the interference is roughly the same on all? I am using 40mhz on the 2.4ghz as that seems to produce a stronger signal but I have turned down the signal power to 18dbm.

314qc1y.jpg

Depends what AP you have. They support up to 127 clients per radio, but in reality the amount actually physically using them properly at once would be less, probably 50-150 depending on the model from Lite to Pro and the specific usage.

The "utilized bar" graph is not showing the AP's utilisation, like it's internal bandwidth or CPU usage etc. It's showing the radio channel utilisation. It's normal for it to shoot up, even to 100%, with even just 1 client downloading at full speed, even if that client is not on your network but is on your neighbors WiFi on the same channel... There's only so much bandwidth available per channel, you're not going to get max speed for every device at once.

Interferance is normal and it would be strange for there to be none. It can come from cordless phones, other APs, microwaves, etc etc, even itself... If it's excessive then you can investigate more, but I wouldn't worry if it's less than 5-10%.

Soldato
I would only backup and restore to the same version.

Update your docker or..

On another pc, install the Windows version 5.6.37, restore your config to it. Then upgrade that to whatever version the cloudkey is on and take a new backup of that Windows version to restore to the cloudkey
Sounds like a plan going with the windows route. Thanks :)

Soldato
Thank you for explaining that to me, much appreciated. I have the LR version, I have it placed ubove the front door in the middle of our house, so its firing through the house to the back, thats if they do fire more forwards then sideways?

Soldato
Thank you for explaining that to me, much appreciated. I have the LR version, I have it placed ubove the front door in the middle of our house, so its firing through the house to the back, thats if they do fire more forwards then sideways?

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005212927-UniFi-UAP-Antenna-Radiation-Patterns

See that link for their radiation patterns. Having had a play with mine it didn't make any difference which way it was facing, other than hardly getting a signal at all out the very bottom, but your mileage may vary!

Soldato
Just in anticipation of moving house, i'll be moving away from Vodafone to BT.

What do i need to do to connect my USG to BT? For Vodafone i was given a username and password which i entered into the controller software. Do BT just issue the same?

I think you can use any email as long as it ends with btbroadband.com, e.g. [email protected]. Password isn't needed but I think the USG asks for one anyway so just stick BT or something in.

Soldato
Im not overly impressed with mine either, I had a TP Link access point before I got the Unifi. Set it up in the same place as my TP Link, higher up though and Im getting roughly the same signal strength as before.

I refuse to spend another £100 on a 2nd one to finish getting signal to the area its missing. Ive bought tp link extender to do that, and it seems to be working ok so far

Unfortunately this is a downside of the default response to any Wi-fi problem being ‘Unifi’. It’s not.

From your response you haven’t mounted it on the ceiling? It never fails to amaze me that people buy a ceiling mounted access point and are surprised when it doesn’t work as well as their 360-degree tabletop unit when they don’t ceiling mount it.

And I think people don’t really see the benefits when they use 1 - what makes these ‘enterprise’ is that you can install 2 or 200 and you only update the controller once and it provisions all of them the same.

They can’t transmit any more power because that’s legally fixed and the antennae work only work properly when fixed to a flat horizontal surface so if you don’t ceiling mount them they’re often worse than a domestic router/access point.

Soldato

If you wanted to wall mount it, why not buy the wall-mounted one? The ceiling mounted units transmit in a squashed half-globe away from the access point with the widest range being at the edges so if you wall mount it you can probably pick up your Wi-fi in low-flying aircraft and anyone mining under your house is also in luck. Ironically, the direct line out the centre of the access point is quite weak. Seriously, send it back and get an AP-AC-IW-Pro.

Soldato
Picked up a UAP-AC-Pro for my garden. Very impressed, should have done this year's ago.

I'm now getting a consistent 10mpbs more at the far end of my garden through the AC Pro than I get from my DD WRT Netgear 7800 when I'm sat in the living room right next to it. So I think I'll pick up another for inside and knock off the built in wifi.

Got some hikvision cameras to set up too so ubiquiti might be the obvious choice for a Poe switch now.

Soldato
If you wanted to wall mount it, why not buy the wall-mounted one? The ceiling mounted units transmit in a squashed half-globe away from the access point with the widest range being at the edges so if you wall mount it you can probably pick up your Wi-fi in low-flying aircraft and anyone mining under your house is also in luck. Ironically, the direct line out the centre of the access point is quite weak. Seriously, send it back and get an AP-AC-IW-Pro.

I have it all setup now above our front door... I would send it back if I were abled bodied, but I have to get others to do these sort of jobs for me. So I will have to make do, Hopefully it will be more reliable then my old AP as I had to reboot it about once a week because it would stop working, for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom