*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Caporegime
If your NAS is on all the time and can run the UniFi controller then I can’t think of a good reason to buy the Cloud Key.

Soldato
Impressed with the kit to say the least,

Just finished our first install using Ubiquiti and will now start pushing their kit to other customers as and when required.

Installed the following to get coverage across their site:

Cloudkey
Gateway 4P (we started with the USG but customer wanted rackmount version)
8 & 24 Port switch for each building,
5 AP Pros and 1 inwall AP

When we we're originally quoted by an installer after a site survey they came back with wanting to install 25 AP across the site and we've managed the same if not better coverage with 6 devices. Customer is happy as the bill is considerably cheaper than originally quoted.

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anyone experienced a Nanostation resetting to defaults?

I have a Nanostation at a remote building connected to an outdoor Ubiquiti AP. For some reason every few months, this Nanostation resets to factory settings.

Pain in the backside. Have to see if there is a firmware update.

Soldato
Had a CloudKey issue, seen a couple times now, it complains that the SD card has been removed when it hasnt.

Tried a reboot via SSH which resulted with it being unreachable, using the EdgeSwitch command guide I was able to SSH to the switch and reset the PoE on the CloudKey port to recover access, once rebooted no more complaints about the SD card, only started doing this a couple of FW updates ago.

Here is the guide for those interested https://dl.ubnt.com/guides/edgemax/EdgeSwitch_CLI_Command_Reference_UG.pdf

Associate
Need some help please folks, looking to replace my r7000 with some ubiquiti gear, the r7000 just about manages the whole house but its at on end of the house, so im thinking one ap ac lite will cope fine in the middle of the house?

Secondly im on virgin already in modem mode, so do i just need the edgerouter x and the access point?

Soldato
There's no way of knowing for definite if a single AC-Lite will be enough to cover your whole house without you getting one and trying it. I haven't used an R7000 so can't compare.

If the SuperHub is in modem mode then you would need something to do the routing. You could use an Edgerouter X, Unifi USG or keep using the R7000. Personally I'd stick with the R7000, just disable the wireless on it and it'll keep acting as a router but the AC-Lite will do the wireless role.

Associate
I got round to having some cables run into the loft and have an LR on the way, will it be ok mounted in the loft or would it be better off on the landing ceiling?
I know the PRO is Weather resistant (ish) but the LR isnt, will it be able to cope with the Temperature and maybe condensation off the mounting frame?

Soldato
I got round to having some cables run into the loft and have an LR on the way, will it be ok mounted in the loft or would it be better off on the landing ceiling?
I know the PRO is Weather resistant (ish) but the LR isnt, will it be able to cope with the Temperature and maybe condensation off the mounting frame?

I had an LR in my loft for ages. I'd say you'd be better in the loft higher up, covered my 1930's 4 bed semi no problem with great coverage throughout. Only swapped to a pro as a family member wanted one so I bought myself a new Pro and gave them the LR.

Soldato
I’ve had my LRs in my loft for 18months or so with no problem. Signal can be received maybe 50m beyond the boundary of my property down the road. My devices can’t transmit back at that distance mind!

Soldato
So whats so special about these. I just have a standard router that comes from the ISP and wifi is poor upstairs. Was initally thinking of the Netgear Orbi one downstairs and one up centrally.
But would something else be better?

Soldato
The Ubiquiti Access Points get a lot of love for different reasons but they aren't magic.
  • For the price point they are feature rich. But you have to decide if you want these features. From VLAN tagging through to multiple SSIDs and guest portals, they can do a lot.
  • They're highly performant and stable with good support, constant firmware updates etc.
  • They're good at seamlessly handing off between access points, so installing more than one leads to nice stable broad wifi coverage and a seamless experience for the end device.
  • They use PoE and work best when wired back to a router. This allows placement in optimal locations for wifi access. They're the right shape to mount in a loft or on a ceiling where they will provide great coverage.
  • The can't work miracles though. Place one on the desk where you have your wifi router and it won't necessarily give you better wifi. It can't break the laws of physics.
In short if you can run ethernet cables to good optimal locations they are a very cost effective way to get great wifi. If you can't, or won't, run cables then a mesh system like the Orbi might be more convenient and preferable for you.

Soldato
good support

I have to disagree there, I think the support is quite poor. Maybe it's because I'm using the beta versions of firmware but the Ubnt people very, very rarely seem interested in issues that people pick up.

The seamless hand off between access points is superb though, I can even start a SIP call on my phone and pull the power to the AP that the phone is connected to and the call will carry on just fine.

Back
Top Bottom