*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Very quick one....what is the easiest and cheapest way of adding an outdoors AP to my current setup? At present have a single UAP-AC-PRO-E running a single network

Depends, does the AP really need to be mounted outside or can you mount something like an LR inside near to where you want coverage?

Caporegime
Depends, does the AP really need to be mounted outside or can you mount something like an LR inside near to where you want coverage?

I have a similar query. I have an access point mounted in the only location suitable. It covers internally the whole house brilliantly full 5 bar signal everywhere. However I have a device outside (Nest Doorbell) which only gets 2 bars and will drop now and again.

I ideally need a small booster located near my front door (so ideally in the living room). Is it best me just getting a cheap wifi booster which extends the access point. Or am i better getting homeplugs with wi-fi built in.

Running an additional ethernet cable to another access point isn't an option. i already have 2 holes in the room where my router is and can't go into the ceiling and I don't want to go externally.

Soldato
I have a similar query. I have an access point mounted in the only location suitable. It covers internally the whole house brilliantly full 5 bar signal everywhere. However I have a device outside (Nest Doorbell) which only gets 2 bars and will drop now and again.

I ideally need a small booster located near my front door (so ideally in the living room). Is it best me just getting a cheap wifi booster which extends the access point. Or am i better getting homeplugs with wi-fi built in.

Running an additional ethernet cable to another access point isn't an option. i already have 2 holes in the room where my router is and can't go into the ceiling and I don't want to go externally.

What’s the RSSI set to on the 2.4✅GHz? I think the default is about -70dBi but you can drop it further to prevent the doorbell from dropping off the network. You can set an over-ride on the default controller settings just for the doorbell. Unfortunately doorbells tend to be fixed to the door jambs and they’re often reinforced which doesn’t help wireless transmission. You could mesh another Unifi access point to your existing one (all Unifi APs will mesh, you don’t need the mesh specific ones to do it). Or you could change your existing AP for one with better ears. For balanced transmit/receive, the UAP-AC-HD and it’s SHD cousin are the current best of the UAPs and are better than even the UAP-AC-LR.

Soldato
I might swap out an existing AC LR for a HD or Nano HD and get rid of the mess of cables for the TV unit.

Has anyone here used these yet and can comment on: a) Range differences and b) MU-MIMO performance for multiple 5GHz connections.

Last edited:
Soldato
I might swap out an existing AC LR for a HD or Nano HD and get rid of the mess of cables for the TV unit.

Can't comment on the MIMO but I swapped an AC-LR for an AC-Pro and in my house there was no noticeable difference, I think it meant I could only stay connected 8 doors up rather than 10 but that was about the most of it.

Soldato
My setup right now includes
An edge router 3, 8 port unifi switch and an ac lite.
I a standard 4 port gig switch plugged into eht1 of the edge router and the ac lite plugged into that. Ip range for that port is 192.168.1.1 etc.
I plugged the unifi switch into eth2 of the edge router this morning, Ip range of 192.169.2.1.
Loaded up the controller software, could see my ac lite as normal. Couldn’t see the switch, although it’s linked up and I can see it within the edge router software.
Any idea how I get it to show up in my controller? Granted this was before I went to work and spent a total of 10 minutes setting it up this morning.

Cheers

Raz

Raz

Soldato
I'm using an AP Lite at the moment, and thinking of getting another one and switching off wifi on my SH3. However, I'd like to set up a guest wifi as we tend to have a lot of people over and I'm not keen on using the standard one - I assume the easiest way would be to get a Cloud Key?

Raz

Raz

Soldato
No, only need the controller running if you want the Guest Portal. For a normal network, just set up a second SSID and tick “guest network”.

Ah ok thanks. TBH, I've been trying to convince myself not to buy the key as it gives me something to play with and some of the functionality might come in useful.

Soldato
Can't comment on the MIMO but I swapped an AC-LR for an AC-Pro and in my house there was no noticeable difference, I think it meant I could only stay connected 8 doors up rather than 10 but that was about the most of it.

The reason I have the LR at the moment is that I have a few "smart" devices that are 2.4GHz only scattered around and need to ensure good coverage. I'd just need to ensure that the NanoHD has as-good coverage, but i'm thinking not as the LR has a specific antenna design.

Soldato
My issue is the reason I have the LR is that I have a few "smart" devices that are 2.4GHz only scattered around and need to ensure good coverage. I'd just need to ensure that the NanoHD has as-good coverage, but i'm thinking not as the LR has a specific antenna design.

Don't read too much into that. I would say with a 95% certainty a Nano will cover what your LR is doing as far as distance goes.

Soldato
The reason I have the LR at the moment is that I have a few "smart" devices that are 2.4GHz only scattered around and need to ensure good coverage. I'd just need to ensure that the NanoHD has as-good coverage, but i'm thinking not as the LR has a specific antenna design.

Yes, in the diagrams on UI.com it’s effectively the same coverage but the AP-AC-HD and AP-AC-SHD are better and both do everything the NanoHD does ie. they are Wave2 devices.

Soldato
My setup right now includes
An edge router 3, 8 port unifi switch and an ac lite.
I a standard 4 port gig switch plugged into eht1 of the edge router and the ac lite plugged into that. Ip range for that port is 192.168.1.1 etc.
I plugged the unifi switch into eth2 of the edge router this morning, Ip range of 192.169.2.1.
Loaded up the controller software, could see my ac lite as normal. Couldn’t see the switch, although it’s linked up and I can see it within the edge router software.
Any idea how I get it to show up in my controller? Granted this was before I went to work and spent a total of 10 minutes setting it up this morning.

Cheers

You’ll need to add another network with the IP range 182.168.2.x /24 or whatever you want the subnet to be. And if you want the EdgeRouter to route data between the networks you’ll need to set up a bridge.

Or if you want to see everything in one big network then you could do something like a /22 which would give you 192.168.0.x - 192.168.3.254 (I think). I don’t have access to a calculator at the moment so that might be wrong, but the concept would work.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers mate.
Think I can set up a software bridge between eth1 and eth2 wishing the edge router, I’m sure there is some form of speed penalty for that though.

Soldato
Cheers mate.
Think I can set up a software bridge between eth1 and eth2 wishing the edge router, I’m sure there is some form of speed penalty for that though.

Yes there is, you're not switching through the hardware. The bridge is effectively a L2 switch through the CPU so you use CPU when passing traffic between and in some cases it will limit transfer speed.
How often you plan on transferring large amounts of data between the two though is a question only you will answer and if it would be a problem.

Soldato
Yes there is, you're not switching through the hardware. The bridge is effectively a L2 switch through the CPU so you use CPU when passing traffic between and in some cases it will limit transfer speed.
How often you plan on transferring large amounts of data between the two though is a question only you will answer and if it would be a problem.

Probably about 5 times a week I’ll transfer a 40 to 80 gig file. I’ll give it a try and see what the transfer speed is like. As long as I can still pull full speed on downloads with virgin 350meg I’ll be happy.

Appreciate the advice.

Back
Top Bottom