*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
@Av8
Don't know if it is any use to you mate, 350 virgin here also. Edge router to Unifi 8 port switch, onto 2 AC Lite. The twice I have set it up from factory I was getting woeful speeds! Even if you look back a page or two here I had major issues the other day, all times the speed has gradually came up over wifi! Have no idea why, usually woud satrt off with 30-40 meg download on the 5Ghz, but upload would be showing full spped on speedtest @36meg. Throughput test from the IOS app would give me the same download but anything between 150-200meg upload.
The next day, download over the 5ghz would be 200meg and upload would be the same, with the 2.4 sitting at around 50-55 download on the 20Mhz band. Give it a day and see what happens is what I am suggesting. I aint no expert by any means, so go with anyoen elses advice before mine :)

Av8

Av8

Associate
@Av8
Don't know if it is any use to you mate, 350 virgin here also. Edge router to Unifi 8 port switch, onto 2 AC Lite. The twice I have set it up from factory I was getting woeful speeds! Even if you look back a page or two here I had major issues the other day, all times the speed has gradually came up over wifi! Have no idea why, usually woud satrt off with 30-40 meg download on the 5Ghz, but upload would be showing full spped on speedtest @36meg. Throughput test from the IOS app would give me the same download but anything between 150-200meg upload.
The next day, download over the 5ghz would be 200meg and upload would be the same, with the 2.4 sitting at around 50-55 download on the 20Mhz band. Give it a day and see what happens is what I am suggesting. I aint no expert by any means, so go with anyoen elses advice before mine :)

Thanks mate, I'll wait for a few days like you say. And I'll still take others advice for sure if they also have VM and have other ideas, but appreciate your input. ;)

Soldato
I’ve not enabled anything unless when accessing this via the web it’s any different.

What about the VHT options. Anyone changed them as I found that does change the speeds

On the 2G side unless you live out in the sticks you needs to leave it at default HT20, on the 5G side i run at VHT80 with no adverse effects but if you live in a flat or something you probably wouldn't be able to run that.

If you want to know what it does it basically makes the Radios use more channels which increases the link speed but opens you up to a lot more interference from other devices.

On the 2G side unless you live out in the sticks you needs to leave it at default HT20, on the 5G side i run at VHT80 with no adverse effects but if you live in a flat or something you probably wouldn't be able to run that.

If you want to know what it does it basically makes the Radios use more channels which increases the link speed but opens you up to a lot more interference from other devices.

I found the WiFi speed wasn’t 300 mbps on HT20 it’s 150

Soldato
I’ve not enabled anything unless when accessing this via the web it’s any different.

What about the VHT options. Anyone changed them as I found that does change the speeds

Mesh is enabled by default in all controllers since 5.9.x

VHT (as was pointed out above) combines channels so you can use VHT40 on 2.4GHz and it will give you full speed on 802.11N systems. As long as you use channels 1,6 or 11-13 you’ll not have any issues. On 5GHz you can go all the way to VHT160 on the Wave2 access points. Just keep the channels well separated if you’re doing that and be aware of the DFS channels which can accidentally pick up radar signals from Speed cameras, airports, military aircraft etc. and if they do detect radar, it shuts the access point off for a period until it thinks the radar interference will have gone away. There are also range and client compatibility issues with VHT80 and VHT160.

Mesh is enabled by default in all controllers since 5.9.x

VHT (as was pointed out above) combines channels so you can use VHT40 on 2.4GHz and it will give you full speed on 802.11N systems. As long as you use channels 1,6 or 11-13 you’ll not have any issues. On 5GHz you can go all the way to VHT160 on the Wave2 access points. Just keep the channels well separated if you’re doing that and be aware of the DFS channels which can accidentally pick up radar signals from Speed cameras, airports, military aircraft etc. and if they do detect radar, it shuts the access point off for a period until it thinks the radar interference will have gone away. There are also range and client compatibility issues with VHT80 and VHT160.

So go over each via the web portal and disable them meshing?

What shout I do about VHT then. Set it to what for both 2.4 and 5??

Soldato
So go over each via the web portal and disable them meshing?

What shout I do about VHT then. Set it to what for both 2.4 and 5??

Yes, disable meshing. If you’re fully cabled there is no benefit.

On VHT, if you have good clear channel separation ie. you’re on 1,6 or 11-13 and there isn’t a lot on the other channels in your location then VHT40 on 2.4GHz will give a speed boost.

What you do on 5GHz is more dependent on your clients. You may as well go VHT40 on that as all AC clients can run at that speed.

There are very few VHT80 compatible clients and if one is connected it will drop to VHT40 when a client that isn’t capable connects. I’m only aware of 5 or 6 client devices that can handle VHT160 so I’d probably go with VHT 40 or VHT80. You’ll also notice the number of available channels drops as you go from one level of bonding to the next. So at VHT20 you’ll have lots of channels but at VHT80 you lose lots because it’s combining them together. That massively increases the risk that you’ll be on the same channel as someone else, and that’s the worst thing you can have.

Yes, disable meshing. If you’re fully cabled there is no benefit.

On VHT, if you have good clear channel separation ie. you’re on 1,6 or 11-13 and there isn’t a lot on the other channels in your location then VHT40 on 2.4GHz will give a speed boost.

What you do on 5GHz is more dependent on your clients. You may as well go VHT40 on that as all AC clients can run at that speed.

There are very few VHT80 compatible clients and if one is connected it will drop to VHT40 when a client that isn’t capable connects. I’m only aware of 5 or 6 client devices that can handle VHT160 so I’d probably go with VHT 40 or VHT80. You’ll also notice the number of available channels drops as you go from one level of bonding to the next. So at VHT20 you’ll have lots of channels but at VHT80 you lose lots because it’s combining them together. That massively increases the risk that you’ll be on the same channel as someone else, and that’s the worst thing you can have.

Thank you. Okay wow this is more complex.

So channel is set I auto.
Transmitter power is auto
2.4 is now set to VHT20
5 is now set to VHT40

Soldato
It’s not complicated. If think this is complicated get a Mikrotik AP and cAPsMan!

But you do need to know what you’re doing to set these up.

Don’t leave the channels on Auto You need to see which of 1, 6 or 11-13 is least congested by each access point and set it to that on 2.4GHz.

If you have 3 access points set them on 1, 6 and 11 to begin with. That way they’re not interfering with each other.

Set the 5GHz to 36, 44, and 52 at the absolute least so they stop interfering with each other.

Turn off ‘b’. That slows everything down because it broadcasts a longer header packet.

What were your expectations? You only actually get 50% of the advertised speed because the transmission system runs at half-duplex. So it sends a signal then processes the incoming signal. You’ve got 165Mbps on a -60dBi signal which doesn’t seem unreasonable depending on the client you’re using. This is very much a 2-way street. A great access point won’t turn a bad client signal into a good client signal.

It’s not complicated. If think this is complicated get a Mikrotik AP and cAPsMan!

But you do need to know what you’re doing to set these up.

Don’t leave the channels on Auto You need to see which of 1, 6 or 11-13 is least congested by each access point and set it to that on 2.4GHz.

If you have 3 access points set them on 1, 6 and 11 to begin with. That way they’re not interfering with each other.

Set the 5GHz to 36, 44, and 52 at the absolute least so they stop interfering with each other.

Turn off ‘b’. That slows everything down because it broadcasts a longer header packet.

What were your expectations? You only actually get 50% of the advertised speed because the transmission system runs at half-duplex. So it sends a signal then processes the incoming signal. You’ve got 165Mbps on a -60dBi signal which doesn’t seem unreasonable depending on the client you’re using. This is very much a 2-way street. A great access point won’t turn a bad client signal into a good client signal.

I was under the impression the faster was better.

Okay so I’ve made the changes to channels.

2.4 - CH 1, CH 6, CH 12
5 - CH 36, CH 44, CH 52

I’m at working so having to use the app as they block it webwise.

This is all I can find about B

Back
Top Bottom