*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Got an Edgerouter X, it's been a while since I first set it up so I've been having a nose around at the settings. I've set up the DNS using the online guide so is this right:

Everything works so I'm assuming I've configured it correctly :)

Associate
Hi there, got a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR Cloud Managed sub for 3 years. Sub is coming to an end and was wondering if I can access my ap locally from my pc or my phone. I don't need 24hrs live access - Only when need it.
I tried to connect from pc but it wouldn't find the ap.. is this maybe because it's already running with the cloud controller. How do I disconnect from cloud and start fresh locally?

Caporegime
Upgrade the firmware to the latest version while it's still connected to the cloud controller, then delete it from the controller and reset the AP using the button. Then use the phone app to manage it.

Soldato
Is that an actual question?

Sorry, yes I didn't mean to post it as is. Essentially has anyone gone from a USG Pro 4 to a UDM-Pro, I get the impression that the USG is a better boundary device (IDS/IPS throughput aside).

UDM products I don't particularly rate atm (customers seem to be the alpha/beta testers

Man of Honour
I've got the USG Pro, switches and an Access Point so there's no need for me to try the UDM. I think it's more for people who don't want loads of different boxes and extra features you can get from separate items.

Soldato
I've got the USG Pro, switches and an Access Point so there's no need for me to try the UDM. I think it's more for people who don't want loads of different boxes and extra features you can get from separate items.

Agreed, I'm wondering if there is a USG update coming etc. I have switch, APs and previously controller running in a VM. So I'm considering selling the UDM-PRO, getting a USG Pro 4 another switch. Prob Gen 2 16 port.

Or just revert to pfsense for now.

Looking at getting a cabinet in my loft, but might be a bit warm. Essentially get cat 5 run to a number of rooms, patch panel and rack of kit. Install the Pro AP in the loft pointing downwards and loose AP-Lite / Flex HD etc

Soldato
Both the Vyatta powered USG line and the UBiOS powered UDM line use the same UniFi controller so the exposed features are identical. How they execute those features is different at a hardware and software level, but the user experience is the same.

USG hardware is ancient and you’ll run out of processing power for QoS features at about 30Mbps on the USG and about 130Mbps on the USG Pro. For IPS/IDS those limits are about 150Mbps on the USG and 400Mbps on the USG Pro. The hardware on the UDM and UDM pro will run QoS and IPS/IDS at well over 1Gbps. Which device you buy should be dictated solely by your broadband speed and need for QoS and/or IPS/IDS.

Unifi UTM/Routing is in a proper mess at the moment. Chris Buechler persuaded Ubiquiti management that the Vyatta branched software was such a mess that they had to stop developing it and start again from scratch. Hence UBiOS. But it seems that Buechler isn’t quite the programming genius his ‘the man behind pfSense’ CV would suggest and UBiOS is a steaming pile of poo. Add in the VERY peculiar hardware specs coming out of UBNT recently (why does everything have to support everything? In one box?) and you have a recipe for disgruntled customers.

Like pretty much everyone else, I’m sure you had sky high expectations as you unboxed your UDM Pro and then you had subterranean feelings when you realised that your £350 shiny new silver box didn’t actually do very much. I’m genuinely sorry. After a REALLY thorough review of all the routing and UTM kit on the market I tend to recommend Mikrotik for anything up to £150 and over that a QNAP or SuperMicro hardware platform running Untangle.

Soldato
Agreed, I'm wondering if there is a USG update coming etc. I have switch, APs and previously controller running in a VM. So I'm considering selling the UDM-PRO, getting a USG Pro 4 another switch. Prob Gen 2 16 port.

Or just revert to pfsense for now.

Looking at getting a cabinet in my loft, but might be a bit warm. Essentially get cat 5 run to a number of rooms, patch panel and rack of kit. Install the Pro AP in the loft pointing downwards and loose AP-Lite / Flex HD etc

There are no USG updates planned. You’ll see feature parity in the controller, because it’s the same controller, but the USG firmware updates are very tiny bug-fixes these days. All the developers are working on UBiOS. It’s generally accepted that the UDM Pro was set to GA several months too early because Ubiquiti were releasing their quarterly results and they wanted to give the share price a boost.

Ubiquiti Access Points are superb. The switches are fine. But the routing is dire.

Soldato
Both the Vyatta powered USG line and the UBiOS powered UDM line use the same UniFi controller so the exposed features are identical. How they execute those features is different at a hardware and software level, but the user experience is the same.

USG hardware is ancient and you’ll run out of processing power for QoS features at about 30Mbps on the USG and about 130Mbps on the USG Pro. For IPS/IDS those limits are about 150Mbps on the USG and 400Mbps on the USG Pro. The hardware on the UDM and UDM pro will run QoS and IPS/IDS at well over 1Gbps. Which device you buy should be dictated solely by your broadband speed and need for QoS and/or IPS/IDS.

Unifi UTM/Routing is in a proper mess at the moment. Chris Buechler persuaded Ubiquiti management that the Vyatta branched software was such a mess that they had to stop developing it and start again from scratch. Hence UBiOS. But it seems that Buechler isn’t quite the programming genius his ‘the man behind pfSense’ CV would suggest and UBiOS is a steaming pile of poo. Add in the VERY peculiar hardware specs coming out of UBNT recently (why does everything have to support everything? In one box?) and you have a recipe for disgruntled customers.

Like pretty much everyone else, I’m sure you had sky high expectations as you unboxed your UDM Pro and then you had subterranean feelings when you realised that your £350 shiny new silver box didn’t actually do very much. I’m genuinely sorry. After a REALLY thorough review of all the routing and UTM kit on the market I tend to recommend Mikrotik for anything up to £150 and over that a QNAP or SuperMicro hardware platform running Untangle.

There are no USG updates planned. You’ll see feature parity in the controller, because it’s the same controller, but the USG firmware updates are very tiny bug-fixes these days. All the developers are working on UBiOS. It’s generally accepted that the UDM Pro was set to GA several months too early because Ubiquiti were releasing their quarterly results and they wanted to give the share price a boost.

Ubiquiti Access Points are superb. The switches are fine. But the routing is dire.

Totally agree with both the above statements.

Caporegime
The EdgeRouter line is a pretty capable platform, but it's a routing platform and very much not a UTM one - though I'd struggle to say that the USG/UDM are those things either.

I'm very happy with Netgate boxes for the occasions where I have a requirement for a physical box.

Soldato
The EdgeRouter line is a pretty capable platform, but it's a routing platform and very much not a UTM one - though I'd struggle to say that the USG/UDM are those things either.

I'm very happy with Netgate boxes for the occasions where I have a requirement for a physical box.

Been looking at Netgate's offerings and Untangle's too re physical devices. I've run both in a VM and pfsense on a itx PC build. No probs at all and I've got a quad port Intel NIC

Man of Honour
I've finally moved my AP AC Pro from on the wall downstairs at the edge of the house to upstairs centrally in the landing. Coverage has obviously improved a fair amount.

One thing I've never done is change any of the settings, is there a quick win set, eg 2G on low power and 5G on medium power etc?

Back
Top Bottom