*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Associate
What you said would work fine as I use a USG as a Router connected to a ER-X setup as a hardware switch which in turn is providing POE and connectivity to my AP AC Lite. (The POE adaptor that came with the AP provides power for the ER-X and AP)

Thanks Buddy!

I've been looking at the 8port Gigabyte Ethernet by TP-Link to use a long side USP AC LR and EdgeRouter X.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/tp-link-8-port-10-100-1000mbps-desktop-switch-tl-sg108-nw-155-tp.html

Cheers

Soldato
Soldato
Soldato
Woke up this morning to a ton of emails saying my controller(cloud) has disconnected. Not sure what was going on but must have had over 30 emails.

Rebooted and all ok...Strange..At least you can reboot via the web.

Associate
I've got one of these in the loft, it's connected to the 24-port managed version on the ground floor. No complaints at all with TP-Link switches. Keep in mind that if you want to use VLANs and such you will need the managed version.

What i use the ER-X for is a bit of a waste of the hardware, but i wanted to get one to fool around with and also liked the idea of having one less plug/wire.

That switch should work perfectly.

Thanks guys I'll let you know how I get on.

:)

Caporegime
Hey platypus,

What cameras have you got?

Do you also have the NVR or do you plan to run that on something else? (I'm looking to run it in Docker on my XPenology NAS)

On reflection I think the NVR too expensive. I'm going to spin up another VM and trial Unifi Video on that for a while. It's not officially supported but plenty of people have it running on Windows 10/2012 R2 so I'll probably just try the same, recording to an external usb3 drive for initial testing.

Soldato
just to confirm what ive read earlier in the thread

bridging eth1 and eth2 is a no go?

i only need one network, so just leave eth2 as is?

The Edge Router X has a hardware switch so you can do with it no problem. The Lite does not so everything has to be done in software by the CPU so as said it kills throughput.

Last edited:
Soldato
thanks for the info guys

been watching some youtube videos on setting it up

for Port Forwarding, there are 2 ways, the auto way and the manual. the auto adds the firewall policy for you and the manual you need to add them manually

are there absolutely no difference in performance between the 2?

Don
just to confirm what ive read earlier in the thread

bridging eth1 and eth2 is a no go?

i only need one network, so just leave eth2 as is?

That's right, you can set up eth2 as a second network. I do this for when I'm fixing other people's laptops, I patch in the eth2 network so I 100% know that their infected laptop can't touch my network.

Bridging them hurts performance.

Soldato
thanks for the info guys

been watching some youtube videos on setting it up

for Port Forwarding, there are 2 ways, the auto way and the manual. the auto adds the firewall policy for you and the manual you need to add them manually

are there absolutely no difference in performance between the 2?

Wouldn't have thought so, they both end up with identical end results.

Back
Top Bottom