*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Not at this point in time but it’s always good to know what alternatives are in the marketplace.

Sadly there isn't that much and that's why UniFi have this market. The TP-Link is there but its a new ish line so its something to watch but can't see it taking off.

Above UniFi is the Meraki stuff but licences so that's why people go to Ubiquiti for these basic management features without licences.

Soldato
That's if its actually true? Oh someone on the internet said it :p So clearly is fact!

Watch Tom's video, is this going to kill the company... no

Fair enough, I'm working on the assumption that the latest reports are accurate but the lack of a statement from Ubiquiti denying it is itself interesting.

I didn't say it was going to kill the company. But it certainly won't help it's reputation.

Soldato
Yeah people will drop the product but until there is something else then there we are sort of stuck for options. Maybe this is where TP-Link will gain ground...

No doubt something has happened and yeah changed passwords and enabled 2FA but at the end of the day the APs and switches are decent, I do like the cameras so will purchase some soon. The routing they do is poo (own UDMP) it's fine for very very basic stuff.

There would have been some marketing/big wig person who has tried to hide whatever has happened. We might see they turn on them to try and improve the image/brand. Probably just pay someone off to save face.

Soldato
Security breaches happen are you really going to drop 4 APs/2 switches and FW for it? What, TP-Link or any other company in the world won't have a breach??? :D

If the product is working then meh, *** happens move on. Yeah if its not working bin it!

Exactly this.

Companies are constantly under attack in various forms. I'm sure if you looked at various statistics that have been compiled the results will be truly shocking.

Yes Ubiquiti could have been more open and honest about it, and maybe that'll be a lesson learned for them. But to jump ship and hope that another manufacturer will never suffer some sort of breach is rather naive.

Soldato
Flashing EoL AP’s and loosing controller support is one thing, ripping out a whole ecosystem at this stage feels like a stretch, that said I wouldn’t be putting more money Unifi’s way anytime soon.

On the subject of killing the brand, rarely (if ever?) has this level of stupidity killed a brand. I’ve said it before in the Netgate thread after the crap with Wireguard, I just want my firewall provider (and network kit in general) to be quiet and boring, not create pointless drama. Holding your hands up to your user base and working to improve is the only acceptable route forward, not being honest, moving to cloud and serving me add content in a manner specifically designed not to be blocked is not OK.

Soldato
Flashing EoL AP’s and loosing controller support is one thing, ripping out a whole ecosystem at this stage feels like a stretch, that said I wouldn’t be putting more money Unifi’s way anytime soon.

On the subject of killing the brand, rarely (if ever?) has this level of stupidity killed a brand. I’ve said it before in the Netgate thread after the crap with Wireguard, I just want my firewall provider (and network kit in general) to be quiet and boring, not create pointless drama. Holding your hands up to your user base and working to improve is the only acceptable route forward, not being honest, moving to cloud and serving me add content in a manner specifically designed not to be blocked is not OK.

Sadly these companies are too big and will hide everything when/where possible.

Its happened since time and will continue

Great channel but Microsoft have done it MANY times

Associate
Just purchased one of the WiFi6 LR APs direct from Ubiquiti, then realised I've probably made a mistake. Bit of a n00b, didn't realise there was such a thing as PoE+(at) which it looks like this AP uses? My Switch does standard Poe (af). Am I right in thinking it won't work and I'd need an injector? Will be one on the MM soon if that's the case :)

Soldato
Just purchased one of the WiFi6 LR APs direct from Ubiquiti, then realised I've probably made a mistake. Bit of a n00b, didn't realise there was such a thing as PoE+(at) which it looks like this AP uses? My Switch does standard Poe (af). Am I right in thinking it won't work and I'd need an injector? Will be one on the MM soon if that's the case :)

Have Ubiquity stopped bundling injectors now? They used to be included in the retail box.

Associate
I like to keep cabling clean so was looking forward to losing the current 24V Passive PoE injector I have for my old AP. Looks like the Lite6 uses PoE Af, so will just sell and buy one of those I think. Anyone wanting one (Unifi 6 Long Range), I'll stick it on the MM as soon as I get it :)

Soldato
Ok so can someone explain the 'ubnt' super admin account to me?

I have a cloud key which I access via SSO with my ui.com account, which I understand is mandatory with the CK now and not a problem.

But I can't find a clear explanation of the 'ubnt' account. Is this purely for local access and thus not a security issue? Should I change the password? Disable it?

I've tried Googling but 'ubnt' is too generic a search term.

Soldato
The default account when you setup a Cloud Key is called ubnt. There's nothing overly special about it, it's the same as any other super admin account. I usually create a new super admin account then delete the ubnt account.

Soldato
Finally VM are coming tomorrow to connect the internal cable for their M350 package, do I just set the VM as modem only and leave DHCP on the VM hub also the restart all my 3 LR-APs and CK, switch etc?

Thanks

Soldato
Finally VM are coming tomorrow to connect the internal cable for their M350 package, do I just set the VM as modem only and leave DHCP on the VM hub also the restart all my 3 LR-APs and CK, switch etc?

Thanks

In modem mode you'll need a router like the USG/UDMP if you dont have one then you need to keep it in router mode and turn off their wireless...if possible. Always had mine in modem mode with my own router/UDMP etc

Back
Top Bottom