*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Well Ubiquiti are having a bad day. First they introduce ads in their GUI if you don't have certain products, then they have a catastrophic breach that they hid (apparently) and now they might be in some legal trouble.

Ads: https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubiquiti/comments/mg2aj7/ubiquiti_starts_serving_ads_in_their_management/
Breach: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2021/03/whistleblower-ubiquiti-breach-catastrophic/
Legal: https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...Inquire-About-Class-Action-Investigation-–-UI

Soldato
How accurate is the wifi throughput test on the iPhone when using the controller app?

It can be very accurate but it depends on where your controller is. If your controller is at same location as you're performing the test then it should be fairly accurate as the traffic goes directly between the controller and phone.

If your controller is located externally (like mine is) then it's possible that it's accurate. The highest figure it'll report is the lowest bandwidth if the devices in question. So if my controller were hosted externally on a 100Mbps internet connection but I had 1Gbps FTTP at home then the most the speedtest would report would be 100Mbps.

For my setup it's pretty accurate. My controller is on a VPS that has a 1Gbps internet connection and I have 900Mbps FTTP at home.

Man of Honour
It's connected over 1 Gbps network but I never seem to be able to get any higher than 130 Mbps or so. But then I notice the phone is only connecting at 173 Mbps up/down on the 5G band and around 15 foot from the AP with direct line of sight.

Associate

Just seen this on reddit.

Remote access has always been disabled for me. Then again, I only have a AC-LITE, no need for all the 'cloud' stuff.

Soldato
So between the add pushing, the move to cloud accounts, the data breach and the EoL of first gen AP’s, is anyone else eyeing a move to 3rd party firmware eg OpenWRT or DDWRT which are both supported?

Soldato
What are the alternatives? Looks like DD-WRT/OpenWRT only support the APs. I have 4 x APs, 2 x switches and a USG-3P. If I was to replace this, who offers like for like replacements. I've looked at the likes of TP-Link Omada but didn't see a gateway product in their catalogue.

Soldato
Security breaches happen are you really going to drop 4 APs/2 switches and FW for it? What, TP-Link or any other company in the world won't have a breach??? :D

If the product is working then meh, *** happens move on. Yeah if its not working bin it!

Soldato
Security breaches happen are you really going to drop 4 APs/2 switches and FW for it? What, TP-Link or any other company in the world won't have a breach??? :D

If the product is working then meh, *** happens move on. Yeah if its not working bin it!
Not at this point in time but it’s always good to know what alternatives are in the marketplace.

Back
Top Bottom