*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Permabanned
I've seen pictures on a couple of sites of the Lite box and it had a sticker on the front on the corner that said something like "Now compatible with 24v poe and 48v at" Can't find them now though as i didn't think to save them. And it seems logical that they would do the same to the LR.

That's the passive poe distribution they use (I think). If LR had 802.3af PoE/802.3at PoE+that is the one I would have ordered as it would do away with the use of injectors.

Caporegime
Passive PoE makes sense for the outdoor point-to-point stuff they do, but access points should be 802.3af/at. Glad to see they are making the change (if they are).

Caporegime
Hi Guys,

Those of you who are running a local controller, what was required to set it up?

My AC Pro came with 3 years free cloud access, but i would like to setup and manager it locally.

Have you just gone out and bought a Cloud Key Controller or just downloaded to controller software and installed it locally?

I tried that but my account fails to login during the setup. I have 2 servers running 24/7 so would install the software on one of them once up and running.

Cheers
I started out by running it on a VM, now I have a cloud key, because gadgets.

Soldato
anyone used an AP on a desk or shelf?

i know they are meant to be ceiling mounted for optimum coverage.

finding it a challenge to run a cable to our downstairs lounge ceiling where the AP would be ideally mounted.

anyone tried wall mounting one with good results?

Associate

finding it a challenge to run a cable to our downstairs lounge ceiling where the AP would be ideally mounted.

I have just had 3 delivered this morning, 2 of them will be wall mounted downstairs due to limited ceiling access, when I tested with one unit wall mounting worked well. Both wall mount units will be mounted to exterior walls as very little wifi is transmitted through the back of the unit.

Soldato
There's a perfectly good signal transmitted through the back the unit.

My AP is mounted to the downstairs ceiling and the signal upstairs is almost as good as it is downstairs.

Soldato

I have mine mounted under my desk upstairs with self-adhesive velcro. Might not be offering the best signal upwards but i don't care as the attic is empty.

Soldato
Passive PoE makes sense for the outdoor point-to-point stuff they do, but access points should be 802.3af/at. Glad to see they are making the change (if they are).

They are 100% moving away from passive POE on their product line it was stated by Ubiquiti themselves in the forums.

Soldato
I have just had 3 delivered this morning, 2 of them will be wall mounted downstairs due to limited ceiling access, when I tested with one unit wall mounting worked well. Both wall mount units will be mounted to exterior walls as very little wifi is transmitted through the back of the unit.

Even wall mounting, im going to have some kind of trunking to hide the cable going up the wall. Very annoying!

im thinking about the Ikea Light mod:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi...oor-uplighter-becomes-UAP-mount/cns-p/1399412

using flat ethernet cable under the carpet i can probably get away with doing this.

Last edited:
Associate
Even wall mounting, im going to have some kind of trunking to hide the cable going up the wall. Very annoying!

im thinking about the Ikea Light mod:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi...oor-uplighter-becomes-UAP-mount/cns-p/1399412

using flat ethernet cable under the carpet i can probably get away with doing this.

That's a nice idea, mine are mounted to exterior walls so I can run the cables outside and straight in to the AP, although saying that that looks nicer than having the AP stuck to the wall even though these are the best I have seen.

I wish you hadn't posted that, now I'm starting to think about it only £5.25 and they are in my local store for collection now.... :)

Last edited:
Soldato

Mine sits on my desk and I am very happy with the coverage.

Soldato
That's a nice idea, mine are mounted to exterior walls so I can run the cables outside and straight in to the AP, although saying that that looks nicer than having the AP stuck to the wall even though these are the best I have seen.

I wish you hadn't posted that, now I'm starting to think about it only £5.25 and they are in my local store for collection now.... :)

hehe, im gona go get one soon!

lmk how it turns out if you do it

Mine sits on my desk and I am very happy with the coverage.

Thanks mate, will give it a try aswell

Last edited:
Associate
Which Ubiquiti UAP

Need better wifi coverage and speed

I stream movies (1080P) from my WDMYCLOUS NAS in the office, which is upstairs, to TVs in the bedroom, lounge and kitchen.

My house is a 3 bed 1930s semi. I am going to mount this on the ceiling next to the stairs and hope to be able to get away with one unit?

Someone suggested the Ubiquiti range of access points however they do 3. A lite, a LR and a Pro.

Any advice?

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you have any 3x3 capable devices such as laptops? If yes maybe consider the Pro for ultimate performance, if not get the Lite. You will struggle to get full house coverage with one if your house has brick internal walls.

I live in a similar age house with brick internals wall downstairs and partition walls upstairs i went for a staggered approach of one in the front room at the front of the house and one upstairs at the back of the house.

Last edited:
Associate
I should have posted this question in the main thread (https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18726947&highlight=Ubiquiti&page=21), sorry

However it seems the lite is the most popular and better to get two lites than one pro.

I have an extended 3 bed 1930s property, most walls are still brick built. I tried a pro in various locations and it couldn't cover the whole house. I found I need 3 AP's to cover my house.

One thing to mention is I require a "good" signal for 5G in various locations, it really depends on whether you will need high bandwidth for streaming video, large file transfer, etc or a weaker signal will allow for Web browsing.

https://support.metageek.com/hc/en-us/articles/201955754-Understanding-WiFi-Signal-Strength

I bought one AP to do a site survey and work out what I required.

Soldato
managed to install my 2nd LR downstairs yesterday evening,

ceiling mounted, involved ripping up some floor boards upstairs to gain access and turned out very well

i assume with 2 APs in one house, i use separate wifi channels and both 2.4ghz and 5ghz set to medium power.

do i need to set them to low power ? or 2.4ghz to low and 5ghz to medium so devices prefer the 5ghz?

or is it all trail and error?

Last edited:
Soldato
There is a setting in the controller software which makes the AP's push devices onto 5Ghz if they support it, because of that you can use the same SSID for both unless you want to segregate your network. Generally you need 5Ghz at a higher power then 2.4Ghz because 5Ghz has a lot less range.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom