*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Caporegime
Interesting to the above. I've got a 1930s semi detached, solid as a...well house.

I get brilliant signal everywhere from a single Pro, even out in the garden.

Associate
There is a setting in the controller software which makes the AP's push devices onto 5Ghz if they support it, because of that you can use the same SSID for both unless you want to segregate your network. Generally you need 5Ghz at a higher power then 2.4Ghz because 5Ghz has a lot less range.

I think this is very device dependant on if they will switch over. And as 2.4 goes further when you get home from where you will probably connect to the 2.4 network before getting in the range of 5ghz.
Personally I have a 2.4ghz and a 5ghz setup, but then also a 5ghz on its own which I use as the range is fine for my needs.

I think it will be a game of trial and error and newer devices will no doubt move over a lot nicer than older devices.

Soldato
I think this is very device dependant on if they will switch over. And as 2.4 goes further when you get home from where you will probably connect to the 2.4 network before getting in the range of 5ghz.
Personally I have a 2.4ghz and a 5ghz setup, but then also a 5ghz on its own which I use as the range is fine for my needs.

I think it will be a game of trial and error and newer devices will no doubt move over a lot nicer than older devices.

No doubt true, my devices are newish so play nice with being pushed to 5Ghz from 2.4Ghz, it is no doubt why you need to tick a box to get the setting to show up because it can cause compatibility issues.

Soldato
after 2 days of playing with wifi settings on the LRs ive now decided to leave it be as its working well and seamless roaming seems to be working fine

for me, the below works fine:

2.4ghz on Low power on both LRs
5ghz on medium on both LRs

Really impressed with these APS, defo recommend them!

Soldato
I am wondering which gateway to get, would be nice to see the analytics having all ubiquiti kit.

It's a decent enough Router essentially the same internals as a Lite if you want to only do basic things and as you said all the pretty dials light up (best marketing ploy ever).

Associate
It's a decent enough Router essentially the same internals as a Lite if you want to only do basic things and as you said all the pretty dials light up (best marketing ploy ever).

We all like shiny :)

I guess the lite makes all the pretty dials light up though?

Looks like there is and £20 between them.

Caporegime
Bought a HTPC to also run PF Sense in a VM.

What is the best NIC to use? Cheap ones apparently overload the CPU. My system is a budget build. £50 CPU, £40 RAM, £75 MOBO, etc.

So what would be the best in terms of efficiency and performance to use? I'm thinking I only need the one NIC so I can then have 1 in and 1 out going to a POE router which I can then use a Ubiquiti AP from as well as connect some devices by LAN.

Soldato
.... I'm thinking I only need the one NIC so I can then have 1 in and 1 out going to a POE router which I can then use a Ubiquiti AP from.....

Can't help with the NIC recommendation but why would you want both a pfSense appliance and a separate router? The pfSense VM will do everything you need from a router. Just a bog standard switch will do to hang the rest of your network off incud No the APs.

Soldato
Bought a HTPC to also run PF Sense in a VM.

What is the best NIC to use? Cheap ones apparently overload the CPU. My system is a budget build. £50 CPU, £40 RAM, £75 MOBO, etc.

So what would be the best in terms of efficiency and performance to use? I'm thinking I only need the one NIC so I can then have 1 in and 1 out going to a POE router which I can then use a Ubiquiti AP from as well as connect some devices by LAN.

Don't know a specific one but people generally use Intel based ones i believe.

Caporegime
Can't help with the NIC recommendation but why would you want both a pfSense appliance and a separate router? The pfSense VM will do everything you need from a router. Just a bog standard switch will do to hang the rest of your network off incud No the APs.

Yeah I meant a POE switch not a router as obviously the PF sense would be the router

Back
Top Bottom