*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
So purchased the above, happy with it so far but was wondering if there are any settings I should be aware of to improve WiFi performance and range etc.

E.g. the bandwidth of the 2.4G and 5G networks, transmit power etc etc.

Any advice appreciated!

Associate
I changed the transmit power on mine and it made no real difference, the device connecting at the other end can only transmit at a certain power anyway and its a two way communication, one unit would not cover my property so I had to buy 3 for the house and one for an out building.

Although I will say since installing it has been faultless.

Soldato
Thanks for coming back Voicon and bledd.

Voicon - may I ask how big is your property (approximately?)
I would say my property is approximately 10m x 10m on each floor. I currently have the UAP on the floor, located in the middle of one of the edges of the house.
I'm getting strong signals throughout the house just with one AP... but it sounds like your property is bigger with larger area to cover.

bledd - I tried the RF scan function in the UAP control settings but didn't quite understand what I was looking at, how do I ascertain which is the optimal "free channel"?
(Apologies for the basic questions).

E: Didn't realise there was a separate threat about Ubiquiti devices!

Associate
It's a 4 bedroom extended property probably 20m x 10m, the main problem is the solid brick construction of all walls in the house, none are partition. The outbuilding is a converted 7m x 7m garage turned in to a man cave which is 15m from the main house, the closest AP was 20m away and barely got to the outer wall, this was double skin breeze block so inside the building had no coverage.

Soldato
It's a 4 bedroom extended property probably 20m x 10m, the main problem is the solid brick construction of all walls in the house, none are partition. The outbuilding is a converted 7m x 7m garage turned in to a man cave which is 15m from the main house, the closest AP was 20m away and barely got to the outer wall, this was double skin breeze block so inside the building had no coverage.

Say no more, all makes sense. Thanks for clarifying!

Just one further question, did you hook your APs to the ceiling or elsewhere?

One problem I have is deciding if I want to centralise the AP, where and how I will go about doing this...

Associate
Say no more, all makes sense. Thanks for clarifying!

Just one further question, did you hook your APs to the ceiling or elsewhere?

One problem I have is deciding if I want to centralise the AP, where and how I will go about doing this...

I bought one unit and did a site survey in various locations, I use a wifi analzer on my tablet and phone to check signal levels, just download from the relevant app store. The site below shows signal levels for your requirement, web browsing, email, video streaming etc.

https://support.metageek.com/hc/en-us/articles/201955754-Understanding-WiFi-Signal-Strength

I get better than -60 in all areas of the house now.

Soldato
You won't find anything for iOS. There used to be but Apple blocked the low level access a scanner app would need. Happy to be wrong if the situation has changed again.

Plenty of options available for Android and Windows.

Associate
You won't find anything for iOS. There used to be but Apple blocked the low level access a scanner app would need. Happy to be wrong if the situation has changed again.

Plenty of options available for Android and Windows.

Thanks will do Voicon, any reasonable WiFi analyser on the Apple Appstore?

I use Android, I know wifi analzer was available on ios then banned by Apple but I thought it was allowed again, just checked and maybe not, I love the way Apple dictate to their users! There are still analzer for the Mac just not ios.

As Bremen said there are options on windows as well, what mobile devices you have you can carry Around?

Soldato
Cheers Bremen and Voicon.

Unfortunately... 1 iPad, 3 iPhones in this house :\

However the wife does use a Surface RT. Would that have something on the Microsoft store I wonder?

Associate
Just had to return a faulty cloud key and I'm wondering whether to replace it with another cloud key or grab a Pi 3 instead?
Does running the controller on a Pi do all the same stuff including remote access etc?

Never thought of doing this, I looked at the cloud key and was going to buy it but never haven't got round to it. I have a few Pi's sat around here doing nothing after projects I did and thought would be useful but got bored of quickly, might give it a go.

Anyone who has done this what's the best Pi, I have a zero, 2 and 3 I can use, would the 3 be better with performance?

Back
Top Bottom