*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Just installed my AP-AC-LR (the upgraded PoE version).

Seems to be working fine, but it is not any faster (and from my testing slower) than my RT-N66U.

Edit: Maybe I should have gone with the pro... oh well, next time!

Signal strength seems to be solid, but top end performance seems to be lacking... (40Mhz channels as the performance with 80mhz channels tanks like no tomorrow...)

Depending on what Switch you have, can you try running the LR at 24V? There are a couple of threads on the UBNT forums where they report a drop in performance when the new model LRs are run in 48V mode. There is absolutely zero reason why this should be the case, but the threads are there so it might be worth testing.

Soldato
A few new updates released today:

UniFi Cloud Key firmware 0.7.3 has been released - https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi...firmware-0-7-3-has-been-released/ba-p/2011908

UniFi 5.5.20 Stable has been released - https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Updates-Blog/UniFi-5-5-20-Stable-has-been-released/ba-p/2011817

I was already running 5.5.20 without any problems, so I am just updating my cloud key now.

Edit: Cloudkey updated fine

Yes, I'm running the 5.5.20 controller now as well. It seems very similar :)

Soldato
Depending on what Switch you have, can you try running the LR at 24V? There are a couple of threads on the UBNT forums where they report a drop in performance when the new model LRs are run in 48V mode. There is absolutely zero reason why this should be the case, but the threads are there so it might be worth testing.

Using the supplied PoE adapter, which is 24V?

Caporegime
All the UniFi Mesh products are rated for outdoor use, or have I missed something?

Mesh Wi-Fi is not very good though.

Soldato
All the UniFi Mesh products are rated for outdoor use, or have I missed something?

Mesh Wi-Fi is not very good though.

They are rated for outdoor however do not work with wireless uplink on DFS channels. To legally use 5ghz outdoor in Europe you MUST use DFS.

Until UBNT drop this non DFS malarkey they are nothing more than an outdoor AP which granted is quite nice but a shame as I have had a couple of instances where the mesh would have helped in certain corners of a network.

Caporegime
If something doesn't support DFS then surely it just doesn't use those channels, rather than using them but with no radar sensing on them? At least that was the impression I had when people complained about Ubiquiti stuff not supporting DFS.

Edit: Oh right I get you, you want the DFS channels for the uplink so you aren't filling the spectrum with crud.

Soldato
Not so much not filling spectrum with crud, I have a certain application or 2 where the mesh aspect would work well but you simply can't use it legally because of them not being able to wirelessly uplink from a DFS channel. Boils down to not being able to scan as they are both receiving and transmitting on the available hardwares so nothing can check.

***Note I do keep plugging the legally term as I'm fairly sure someone will come along and comment how well theirs works.....

Associate
Hey Guys,
My wifi network at home is a nightmare at the minute, I used to use all Apple Airports but got rid of all of these when I got Sky Q installed. I currently have the sky broadband router, sky q box and 2 sky q mini boxes but at times there is little to no connection on the wifi.

So what I would like to do is purchase the Unifi AP AC PRO and mount it on the ceiling above the stairs which is pretty central in the house, I can add another later but I want to see how one performs.

My main question is, do these access points need a dedicated machine running the software or the unified cloud key?

Soldato
you need to plug the AP into a router or a switch then plug a computer/laptop to that same switch.

the AP is managed by lcoalhost webUI so it needs to be wired in the same loop. and do not forget the user account and password you set when you set up otherwise it is a very long phone call to the tech support to get it reset. No there is no reset button for the password.

i left mine on the shelf at the front room and I can get decent reception everywhere in the house - 3 storey loft converted 1930s house. and I can get reception at the back of the garden too which is about 25m away from the AP. so it is pretty decent

Soldato
I've found that the easiest option is to buy them pre-provisioned with a hosted cloud controller. It adds to the cost, but does make them plug-n-play and no need to install any software.

Associate
I got my first one earlier this year as my Sky Router was doing my head in, it was simply pathetic. So now I have an old system dusted off with pfSense installed and a Draytek Vigor 130... much better with my Ubiquity AP.

Good reception everywhere in the house, currently use homeplugs for my network :)

Soldato
I made my dashboard light up!!! In seriousness I'm testing a USG to see if/what it can benefit over my MikroTik RB3011. Funky graphs is about all I've found so far but it's handling throughput well enough with the DPI on at the moment.

Soldato
I made my dashboard light up!!! In seriousness I'm testing a USG to see if/what it can benefit over my MikroTik RB3011. Funky graphs is about all I've found so far but it's handling throughput well enough with the DPI on at the moment.

I think that's about the only benefit most people see when they trade sideways from Mikrotik or PFSense. Like everything else in the Unifi range, there is nothing special about the actual hardware and nor is the functionality of the units particularly exceptional. USG and USG Pro are perfectly good router/firewall units but the real benefit comes from the "single pane of glass" management that Unifi gives you. If, like me, you have 5 switches and 12 access points then the "one click and you're done" aspect of management make life so easy.

But if you already have something else, there is precious little reason to sidegrade unless you want all the bubbles lit up. If I'm totally honest, that's why I have a USG Pro. I wanted all the bubbles lit up and I wanted it to match everything else in the rack. When the lights on the first batch didn't line up, I waited until the revision came out and put one of those in instead, because I wanted all the lights lined up.

I will say the resale on UBNT is excellent, mainly helped by the strong dollar. Anything bought before the Brexit vote can be sold for effectively no loss in value. So there is an upside to everything.

Back
Top Bottom