*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
You'd better off just getting the Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD router. It looks good sitting on a table too.

I'm going to disagree on that one. If the AP-AC-xx is mounted on a ceiling, high up in the building with a good ground plane then it will do a significantly better job than the Amplifi product. And an AP-AC-LR is £100 compared to the Amplifi products at several times that.

I think the original suggested solution is excellent. There is a thread on the Unifi forums where an experienced installer suggests never having more than 1 Wall or Floor between a user and an AP. I used that rule and I have 4 APs in use in my own home/office and the coverage is excellent, as you would expect. The best bit is when I change something it is instantly rolled out to all the APs simultaneously. No messing about.

Soldato
I'll echo the above. I have an AC-LR mounted at the top of my rafters in the attic and have brilliant coverage throughout the house (4 bed semi 1930's build). Just about to place another in the same location in my mums house as they're that good.

Associate
I'm going to disagree on that one. If the AP-AC-xx is mounted on a ceiling, high up in the building with a good ground plane then it will do a significantly better job than the Amplifi product. And an AP-AC-LR is £100 compared to the Amplifi products at several times that.

The AmpliFi HD router is £140. It has similar performance to a single AC-LR as it has the same fractal antenna. You also have the built in router and the new beta cloud controller functionality (https://controller.amplifi.com/login).

Admittedly it doesn't have the full feature set of the USG + cloudkey + AC-LR but it's a lot cheaper...

Caporegime

I think the original suggested solution is excellent. There is a thread on the Unifi forums where an experienced installer suggests never having more than 1 Wall or Floor between a user and an AP. I used that rule and I have 4 APs in use in my own home/office and the coverage is excellent, as you would expect. The best bit is when I change something it is instantly rolled out to all the APs simultaneously. No messing about.

It's a rental, i really can't be drilling holes into things and the roof is at least 5-6 meters in the vertical, so fat chance i'm wobbling myself on a ladder for that anyway.

Soldato
3 of my 5 Echo Dots are connected to the 5Ghz network from my AC-LR's and I've not had any problems with them. I did read something on the Ubnt forums about someone having troubles with 5Ghz connectivity but I don't remember the solution. Disable band steering maybe? I'll see if I can find the forum thread.

Soldato
The UniFi controller software 5.5.19 is still downloadable, I think you are referring to the firmware update (4.3.48) which has caused the problems on the WAN2 port. If you have having the problems you can downgrade it back to 4.3.41.

I'm running 5.5.19 on the UniFi Cloud Key without any problems at the moment and my USG is on 4.3.48.

5.4.19 has just officially been bundled with the new UCK 0.6.10 firmware. 5.5.19 is back in Beta. 5.4.19 will be in the Repo from 24/7/17.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
5.4.19 has just officially been bundled with the new UCK 0.6.10 firmware. 5.5.19 is back in Beta. 5.4.19 will be in the Repo from 24/7/17.

Yup, I upgraded my cloud key to 0.6.10 which comes bundled with with 5.4.19. However, you can't then upgrade to 5.5.19 from 5.4.19 as its currently not supported. So you have to downgrade to 5.4.18 and then upgrade to 5.5.19.

I thought 5.5.19 is now classed as stable release: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Updates-Blog/UniFi-5-5-19-Stable-has-been-released/ba-p/1980967

I've just upgrade to a 5.5.20 and other than a problem with the logs which was causing error 400 in places which is a simple fix, its been very stable and the extra features are getting there.

Soldato
Yup, I upgraded my cloud key to 0.6.10 which comes bundled with with 5.4.19. However, you can't then upgrade to 5.5.19 from 5.4.19 as its currently not supported. So you have to downgrade to 5.4.18 and then upgrade to 5.5.19.

I thought 5.5.19 is now classed as stable release: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Updates-Blog/UniFi-5-5-19-Stable-has-been-released/ba-p/1980967

I've just upgrade to a 5.5.20 and other than a problem with the logs which was causing error 400 in places which is a simple fix, its been very stable and the extra features are getting there.

5.5.19 has been pulled from stable. Because it's not acceptably free from defects. You're obviously happy running Beta and even Alpha software, which is fine. Until it bites you. Because I've actually got business critical systems hanging off my switches I'm sticking with the official releases.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
5.5.19 has been pulled from stable. Because it's not acceptably free from defects. You're obviously happy running Beta and even Alpha software, which is fine. Until it bites you. Because I've actually got business critical systems hanging off my switches I'm sticking with the official releases.

Do you have the link to where its been pulled please? I'm probably being blind on the UniFi forums.

I was under the impression, 5.5.X stable releases are all officially supported should you need support and 5.6.X is/are the beta current software. The Cloudkey will always be the last device to get the updates as it runs the LTS releases. I use the UniFi stuff for my home network and not work production environments as that's all Cisco/Fortinet/Juniper based.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
What kit would you all suggest I buy to replace the standard BT modem and Sky Q hardware i currently have?

It would depends on what you are trying to achieve really and what features are key, as you can't go wrong with ether Edge Router or USG. The UniFi range of products will need software to act as controller, Ubiquiti do sell a nice little device called a Cloudkey for this very function. However, it can also be run on a Windows / Linux Server or even a Raspberry Pi

I assume its one of the HG612 or ECI modems you have with Sky? As depening on if you are getting slower sync speeds I have found the TP Link TF-W9970 to get better sync speed and generally a more reliable connection, which will be due to a newer Broadcom chipset.

Permabanned
I have a three storey house.

Downstairs is the BT white modem with a Sky Router next to it.

From there runs a Cat 5e cable to a switch.

On the first floor there is the Sky Q Box

Second floor is the Sky Q mini box.

So if possible replace the modem and router with one Ubiquity box, including firewall if possible.

Then one each floor a Wireless AP.

Make sense?

Last edited:

RSR

RSR

Soldato
So if possible replace the modem and router with one Ubiquity box, including firewall if possible.

No, you'll still require a Modem as nether the Edge Router or USG have one built in.

If you looking to down the UniFi route, you'll require the following:

• Ubiquiti UniFi Security Gateway
  • Ubiquiti Unifi Cloud Key or Pi or Windows / Linux Server running the UniFi software.
  • Ubiquiti UniFi 8 Port 150W PoE Switch or Ubiquiti UniFi 8 Port 60W PoE Switch - or you have the option to use PoE injectors.
  • Ubiquiti Unifi UAP AC Pro 1300 Mbps AP/Hotspot X3

The Edge Router setup would be more or less the same but changing out the USG for the Edge Router X or EoL / PoE

Back
Top Bottom