*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Why does that matter, sure pppoe is what I'd be needing.

There is a bug currently when you use IPS/IDS on a PPPoE connection, the connection tops out in some cases around 600Mb~. It's due to the single threaded nature of the PPPoE driver which is being used at the moment. If you have a connection that doesn't use PPPoE like a Leased Line for example its fine.

They have finailly listed it as a issue on the latest beta:

Known issues
  • High memory usage in some setups.
  • PPPoE throughput could be affected when IPS/IDS is enabled.
  • Honeypot is not working.
https://community.ui.com/releases/U...1-10-0-8/75753067-cbc6-4cff-838d-47638cb71970

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Also a quick heads up to any wanting to try UniFi Network Controller 6.2.19, when you upgrade to it you may fine your device go into a adoping state after the upgrade.

You'll need to change the Override Inform Host setting to off, as I had some fun with that one yesterday.

System Settings > Controller Configuration > Override Inform Host - Set to Off

Soldato
Do I need to be running a USG to have an additional Network, beyond my main one, and give it internet access? At the moment I am just using the BT hub to do routing. I can create Networks, assign them to SSIDs and connect, but they don't get an internet connection . The original Network works as expected, but I think I'm missing piece of the puzzle to do anything else.

Soldato
Do I need to be running a USG to have an additional Network, beyond my main one, and give it internet access? At the moment I am just using the BT hub to do routing. I can create Networks, assign them to SSIDs and connect, but they don't get an internet connection . The original Network works as expected, but I think I'm missing piece of the puzzle to do anything else.

You don’t need a USG necessarily, you do need a router with at least two routable ports if you want them completely separate. USG makes it very easy to add a second network. Or, if you just want them software segregated you need a router that will do multiple DHCP ranges. USG is probably your best bet if you’re wanting something REALLY easy. You can pick up a Mikrotik router for about £40 that will do what you want, but it won’t be as ‘click and go’ as the USG.

Soldato
You don’t need a USG necessarily, you do need a router with at least two routable ports if you want them completely separate. USG makes it very easy to add a second network. Or, if you just want them software segregated you need a router that will do multiple DHCP ranges. USG is probably your best bet if you’re wanting something REALLY easy. You can pick up a Mikrotik router for about £40 that will do what you want, but it won’t be as ‘click and go’ as the USG.

By 'completely separate', is it possible to achieve this at a software level? I'd like clients on the new network to not have any access to the main network.

That said, I'll probably go down the BT modem & USG route, and keep it all Unifi.

Soldato
By 'completely separate', is it possible to achieve this at a software level? I'd like clients on the new network to not have any access to the main network.

That said, I'll probably go down the BT modem & USG route, and keep it all Unifi.

If you have a physical connection to the same network then however you try and segregate them in software you’ll always have the same packets going through the same port. The USG has two LAN ports so you can have network 1 physically separate from network 2.

Soldato
So, whilst I generally love the Ubiquiti stuff, I've found one thing which is seriously annoying me. It appears the Protect app won't work unless remote access is enabled.

I do NOT want remote access enabled. I actually find it surprising, given that Ubiquiti like to tout the security benefits of having recordings stored locally rather than in a cloud service, they also promote remote access which is an inherent vulnerability. If someone were to compromise my account, they could access my recordings despite them being local.

As a result I have disabled remote access. In the event I need to access from a remote location, I can VPN into my home network and then access as if I was local anyway.
This works fine with the Network app as it lets me add the cloud key manually but it appears the Protect app has no such feature and, without remote access enabled, can't find the cloud key even on my local network.
This is beyond annoying!

Caporegime
Probably being very stupid but just had openreach out for 900/100 installation (previously virgin)

I’ve wrongly assumed I could just plug from openreach termination on wall I could plug into USG3 and would be good to go but it’s not working, what exactly would I need to do?

EDIT: Okay turns out needed to swap from DHCP to PPPoE (Not sure if static IP would be applicable here also?)

Last edited:
Soldato
Probably being very stupid but just had openreach out for 900/100 installation (previously virgin)

I’ve wrongly assumed I could just plug from openreach termination on wall I could plug into USG3 and would be good to go but it’s not working, what exactly would I need to do?

EDIT: Okay turns out needed to swap from DHCP to PPPoE (Not sure if static IP would be applicable here also?)

I made this exact change just the day before yesterday. Plug the WAN to the ONT.

Switch to PPPOE on the WAN of the USG. Fill in the username [email protected] / any password you like (it is a required field). The USG will do the rest. The guides talk about power cycling the ONT but mine didn’t need it, all connected first time to the Unifi network.

Soldato
No. Just connect the ONT to the WAN port on the UDM-P, setup a PPPoE session in the controller and away you go.
I thought I read something about needing to log in to Unifi cloud before it will let you do anything first.
Anyway really getting put off a bit by reading the community forums.
It's ideal if it works but I can't be bothered if it's not 100% reliable.

Soldato
I thought I read something about needing to log in to Unifi cloud before it will let you do anything first.
Anyway really getting put off a bit by reading the community forums.
It's ideal if it works but I can't be bothered if it's not 100% reliable.

I haven't got a UDM/UDM-P but I do seem to remember that as part of the setup process you need to log into the UniFi cloud stuff but that should only apply if the UDM is fresh out of the box.

If it is brand new then maybe you will need to connect the WAN port of the UDM to a LAN port of the BT router to get the initial setup done, after which you can remove the BT router.

Soldato
Just a heads-up to anyone using SFP+ modules on Unifi switches I've had massive packet loss on the 10GbE SFP+ links after upgrading two new switches to firmware 5.43.35.

I downgraded to 5.43.23 and all back to normal. They don't make it easy to love them, do they?

Soldato
Just a heads-up to anyone using SFP+ modules on Unifi switches I've had massive packet loss on the 10GbE SFP+ links after upgrading two new switches to firmware 5.43.35.

I downgraded to 5.43.23 and all back to normal. They don't make it easy to love them, do they?

Thanks for posting that, I'll hold off the firmware upgrades I had planned for Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom