*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
I’m afraid once again I disagree with most folks who have posted so far. The ability to say to someone on the other end of the phone “unplug the one that’s lit up” is genuinely useful. The ability to click on the controller and have just the port your old and to be replaced access point is plugged into is genuinely useful. Being able to look at the switch and know what is a 10GbE port is genuinely useful.

Yes, all the sockets should be 2.5GbE but actually most people still have the vast majority of their devices 1GbE. And they had to hit a price point.

Soldato
Ok... as someone looking at getting into ubiquiti gear these new 24 port 'max' PoE switches make absolutely zero sense to me over an enterprise one... for the same price I lose the rgb (I can only see a use if it changes based on port issues so no issues) but gain more 2.5GBe ports... I know what I'd pick lol

I take it all back! According to the EU Store theses are now fully L3 and I agree, you get very little extra with the Enterprise switches, especially given that some of the PoE ports on the Max are 60W PoE++.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a question :)

I'm currently running a U6-LR AP in standalone mode, ceiling mounted centrally upstairs, signal I would say is 'good' but downstairs could be a lot better, so i'm looking at adding another. Likely a U6 Lite for the cost / size of the actual AP. Realistically I will probably have to wall mount or or put it on a stand, it's only for the living room mainly so should be fine for that use regardless.

Now as stated I run my U6-LR in standalone mode, if I add another I could do the same, but i've got a Firewalla purple on the way so plan to do some vlan work with my iot etc. If I installed the unifi controller on my main pc, does it need to be up and running all the time?

I'm not bothered about network statistics as what I care about will get covered via my Firewalla, but I want to be able to configure the device WVLANs etc, so I was planning on just installing it to my PC, but that's not on all the time.

Other option is to just sack of the U6-LR and get two different APs, if there is any better options out there?

Last edited:
Soldato
How many have migrated to a PPSK setup? I think I've seen a drop in performance and coverage, can't put my finger on it, but my next troubleshooting / test is revert back to previous split SSID setup. Unfortunately it's not 100% like for like as there have been firmware updates too, RC on the U6-Pro to fix a kernel crash issue.

Soldato
I’m afraid once again I disagree with most folks who have posted so far. The ability to say to someone on the other end of the phone “unplug the one that’s lit up” is genuinely useful. The ability to click on the controller and have just the port your old and to be replaced access point is plugged into is genuinely useful. Being able to look at the switch and know what is a 10GbE port is genuinely useful.

Yes, all the sockets should be 2.5GbE but actually most people still have the vast majority of their devices 1GbE. And they had to hit a price point.

Agreed, the LED lighting could be extremely useful. Just last week I had to ask a colleague in Milan to move a patch cable from one TOR switch to another. That part of the room is not well illuminated so if I could have lit up the ports it would have been easier for him.

That said, I really hope they're using better quality LEDs than they (used to?) use in their access points.

Reactions: RSR
Soldato
I have a question :)

I'm currently running a U6-LR AP in standalone mode, ceiling mounted centrally upstairs, signal I would say is 'good' but downstairs could be a lot better, so i'm looking at adding another. Likely a U6 Lite for the cost / size of the actual AP. Realistically I will probably have to wall mount or or put it on a stand, it's only for the living room mainly so should be fine for that use regardless.

Now as stated I run my U6-LR in standalone mode, if I add another I could do the same, but i've got a Firewalla purple on the way so plan to do some vlan work with my iot etc. If I installed the unifi controller on my main pc, does it need to be up and running all the time?

I'm not bothered about network statistics as what I care about will get covered via my Firewalla, but I want to be able to configure the device WVLANs etc, so I was planning on just installing it to my PC, but that's not on all the time.

Other option is to just sack of the U6-LR and get two different APs, if there is any better options out there?

U6-Mesh is designed to be an omnidirectional table top unit so if I was looking for a non-ceiling mounted option that’s where I’d be looking, or even a U6-IW is a superb access point. And if you don’t need it straight away, you could buy a Unifi Express (UX). I believe the first “free for sale” shipment of UXs will be in Rotterdam the last week of January so it should be on the EU Store in early February. And that has a controller built-in.

You don’t need to have the controller running 24/7 unless you want it to gather data and statistics about your network.

If you’re interested in something different then I can highly recommend Alta Labs U6-Pro. It’s currently available as a twin-pack with a bundled 8-port PoE switch for £302. That’s a very good price for 2 4x4 WiFi6 APs and a quality 8-port managed PoE switch.

Soldato
U6-Mesh is designed to be an omnidirectional table top unit so if I was looking for a non-ceiling mounted option that’s where I’d be looking, or even a U6-IW is a superb access point. And if you don’t need it straight away, you could buy a Unifi Express (UX). I believe the first “free for sale” shipment of UXs will be in Rotterdam the last week of January so it should be on the EU Store in early February. And that has a controller built-in.

You don’t need to have the controller running 24/7 unless you want it to gather data and statistics about your network.

If you’re interested in something different then I can highly recommend Alta Labs U6-Pro. It’s currently available as a twin-pack with a bundled 8-port PoE switch for £302. That’s a very good price for 2 4x4 WiFi6 APs and a quality 8-port managed PoE switch.
Will take a look at the Alta labs u6-pro, thats a great deal with the POE managed switch included, as I was going to be buying a switch anyway.

The u6-IW does look good but they're just so damn expensive, it seems a no brainer to get that alta labs bundle right now

Last edited:
Caporegime
I swear every time I touch my network, something random happens. First it was the seemingly a loose connection issue as some ports on my UDM SE would flick between FE and GBe. And now I started tinkering with separate VLANs and one of my G5 Bullets decided to pack it in, followed by the screw cap housing getting stuck. I tried plugging the camera back in and the two IR sensors would come on and then turn off but it wouldn't appear to adopt in Unifi. It eventually saw it but gave me the 'you need to reset before it can be adopted', tried that - still no luck. So I removed anything I'd done in the console (make a CCTV VLAN) and reset - hey presto, it was back again.

Going forward, I would like a separate VLAN for the 2 wired G5 Bullets and the G4 Doorbell. Seeing differing views on how locked down you should make the VLAN with some saying shutting it off completely from the internet. Worth it? Still need me, my wife and mother-in-law to be able to access Unifi Protect and get notifications when the doorbell is rung.

The only other device, other than computers and phones/tablets, is the TV. Not sure it's worth doing it's own VLAN? Going to have a look at PPSK, looks like a nifty feature especially as I will have a guest network.

I think I also need to tweak the power/channel settings for the AP as the doorbell has once again decided it doesn't have a great connection.

Soldato

I wondered how the Alta Labs stuff is coming along. Will have another look over the weekend, need to visit my parents anyway to finish the IPSEC VPN on pfsense.

Soldato
I wondered how the Alta Labs stuff is coming along. Will have another look over the weekend, need to visit my parents anyway to finish the IPSEC VPN on pfsense.
Their WiFi is every bit as good as UniFi, if not better but the Cloud based controller software is still immature but it’s getting better by the week. The switches are just PoE switches. Nicely made but just PoE switches. They desperately need a NGFW device, or to integrate with someone else’s (Arista, Cough, Cough) and then they’ll be a force to be reckoned with. Until then I’m still riding the UniFi gravy train.

Soldato
Looks like they had a blip and let people view other peoples consoles/cameras for a short period of time.

Rather than just the NSA etc. I love the concept of storing everything on the Cloud, and then I think to myself - how can it ever actually be secure?

Soldato
That's pretty grim reading that they could access others cameras with notifications. Does anyone know off hand before i go looking into it if you can have protect locked down to not use the cloud service but still have access to using the app with notifications locally on the network. Ideally you would lock down all cameras to not use the cloud service with the exception of say a front door camera for notifications and 2way when talk when out but the internal cameras stayed local access only.

Soldato
Hi looking for some advice on what network gear to get.

I have FTTP 600Mbps Up/Down. Currently using Linksys velop mesh, it's ok but my house is 1950s built and all the internal walls are solid. Wifi is mostly ok but there are some places where I'd like ethernet.

The fibre comes in to my lounge on a wall mounted modem, it then connects via ethernet to the linksys velop (and meshes via wifi). My plan is to instead run ethernet from the wall mounted modem, outside, up behind the drain spout and into the loft. I'll then run a router and a PoE switch. From the switch I plan to put 2 (maybe 3) wifi APs. And I'll also run ethernet runs to where I want them. My upstairs was 3 bedrooms... it's now 1 bedroom and very open plan (doing renovations). I'm lifting boards anyway so should be easy to run cables where I need them.

Question I have are:
  1. Can anyone recommend what router to get (it doesn't need any wifi capability, as that is what the APs are for)
  2. Can anyone recommend the best wifi APs
  3. Does it make sense to run the router in the lounge rather than loft. i.e. instead of: modem -> loft -> router -> switch. I run: modem -> router -> loft -> switch. I'm not worried about running a switch in the loft, but wondering if running a router in a loft is a bad idea.
I'm asking here because the Ubiquiti stuff has caught my eye, but open to other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi looking for some advice on what network gear to get.

I have FTTP 600Mbps Up/Down. Currently using Linksys velop mesh, it's ok but my house is 1950s built and all the internal walls are solid. Wifi is mostly ok but there are some places where I'd like ethernet.

The fibre comes in to my lounge on a wall mounted modem, it then connects via ethernet to the linksys velop (and meshes via wifi). My plan is to instead run ethernet from the wall mounted modem, outside, up behind the drain spout and into the loft. I'll then run a router and a PoE switch. From the switch I plan to put 2 (maybe 3) wifi APs. And I'll also run ethernet runs to where I want them. My upstairs was 3 bedrooms... it's now 1 bedroom and very open plan (doing renovations). I'm lifting boards anyway so should be easy to run cables where I need them.

Question I have are:
  1. Can anyone recommend what router to get (it doesn't need any wifi capability, as that is what the APs are for)
  2. Can anyone recommend the best wifi APs
  3. Does it make sense to run the router in the lounge rather than loft. i.e. instead of: modem -> loft -> router -> switch. I run: modem -> router -> loft -> switch. I'm not worried about running a switch in the loft, but wondering if running a router in a loft is a bad idea.
I'm asking here because the Ubiquiti stuff has caught my eye, but open to other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Alternative option seeing as you already have the Velop, depending on the model they also support ethernet backhaul. Could stick with that after installing the cables and see how that performs first before committing to a new router and APs.

I'm currently using an ISP variant of the Velop MX4200 as the router with its WiFi off, with a Unifi 6 Pro and AC Pro both powered by a PoE TP-Link switch.

Last edited:
Soldato
Alternative option seeing as you already have the Velop, depending on the model they also support ethernet backhaul. Could stick with that after installing the cables and see how that performs first before committing to a new router and APs.

I'm currently using an ISP variant of the Velop MX4200 as the router with its WiFi off, with a Unifi 6 Pro and AC Pro both powered by a PoE TP-Link switch.
Thanks and to you too @Dave85.

It is an option although where they’re located I didn’t really want to run chases. The nice thing about the unifi (and other) brand aps is they’re ceiling mounted, so no chasing. There are places where I do want Ethernet ports and I will chase to those but they’re not really places where I would put an AP.

I’ll think about it.

Soldato
Also, any thoughts on router in loft vs in the lounge.

I see:

- Lounge

- Can use a WiFi router and have another access point
- ports on router wasted really, the location of the router means using any of its Ethernet ports is not practical

- Loft

- more ports easily available for cable runs from the loft from the router (and switch)
- WiFi on router in loft pointless

I think I’m leaning towards getting a no WiFi router and switch for the loft, then APs and runs from the loft for Ethernet ports.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom