*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
I got my order in before it went OOS, I guess it will ship Monday for Tuesday delivery. The Express I have will then go into AP mode as I find the Express just a bit slow and I like the dual WAN on the Ultra.

As expected my Ultra has now shipped, think it is UPS out of Manchester so I should have it tomorrow.

Last edited:
Associate
Perhaps a little random, but has anyone found / is anyone using a reliable method for fan speed control on Dream Machine SE?

It likes to stick fan1 on 4K+ rpm which is a little whiny to say the least (I didn't really notice it before so I am not sure if it changed with later firmware versions) Trying to configure it via SSH works but seems to get wiped out every 30mins or so.

Interestingly, I have found a fun workaround for now by scheduling a computer to SSH in and change the fan speed every 15mins and temps seem to stay the same but it's hardly ideal.

Soldato
Perhaps a little random, but has anyone found / is anyone using a reliable method for fan speed control on Dream Machine SE?

It likes to stick fan1 on 4K+ rpm which is a little whiny to say the least (I didn't really notice it before so I am not sure if it changed with later firmware versions) Trying to configure it via SSH works but seems to get wiped out every 30mins or so.

Interestingly, I have found a fun workaround for now by scheduling a computer to SSH in and change the fan speed every 15mins and temps seem to stay the same but it's hardly ideal.
Where do you see fan speed?
Mines hidden away so can't hear it anyway.

Soldato

Noctua fan speed reduction cable is the easiest way. The 4000rpm becomes 2000rpm. I used to do that mod a lot on USG Pro’s.

Soldato
Was debating whether to stick with ubiquiti for security, in the end, didn't make sense buying a cloud key or NVR when I have a perfectly good Synology NAS already, so got my certs sorted out (thanks aquiss static IP) and surveillance station setup, and ordered a Reolink cam. Would have liked to stay in the ecosystem but it was gonna cost 6x the price!

Man of Honour
Well I wasn't so much thinking about what's broken, at least from my own usage, just a general wondering really. Though i can't imagine the firmware is so perfect that there's no flaws right? Especially security ones.
Unless any highly rated CVEs come out for the management aspect (ciphers for ssh/https etc), they're relatively simple switches and unlikely to receive any updates.

Associate
Managed to bag one of the new cloud gateway ultras as a first dive into Unifi. Looking at a pair of U6 Mesh for APs (house is across three floors, so I assume 2 would be needed to guaranee good coverage,) but what switch would anyone recommend to go with these?

Needs to be 8 port, every room has ethernet so one port on the switch would be from the CGU and the rest going to rooms around the house, coincedentally 7 rooms.
I know the CGU doesn't have POE out, but ideally I'd like a POE-powered switch that can also power the APs - the switch will be in an under-stairs cupboard where there are no power socket currently (the CGU is in another room). Would the USW-Ultra (42W) work if I bought an injector to put on the gateway to switch ethernet?

Soldato
Managed to bag one of the new cloud gateway ultras as a first dive into Unifi. Looking at a pair of U6 Mesh for APs (house is across three floors, so I assume 2 would be needed to guaranee good coverage,) but what switch would anyone recommend to go with these?

Needs to be 8 port, every room has ethernet so one port on the switch would be from the CGU and the rest going to rooms around the house, coincedentally 7 rooms.
I know the CGU doesn't have POE out, but ideally I'd like a POE-powered switch that can also power the APs - the switch will be in an under-stairs cupboard where there are no power socket currently (the CGU is in another room). Would the USW-Ultra (42W) work if I bought an injector to put on the gateway to switch ethernet?
I've ended up with 2 APs for a normal sized 3 bed semi.
I think it's the solid brick/concrete walls, just kills the signal.
I'll probably get another for the garage and back garden.
One U6 Pro covers upstairs, a U6 Mesh for downstairs but still weak signal at the far end of the kitchen extension and in the garage.
I'm not after just acceptable signal either I want decent speeds.
But definitely try one first it'll give you an idea of how far the signal goes in your house.

Last edited:
Associate
Try one AP upstairs first, you'll likely find it would be more than decent enough unless you have a very large home.

I've ended up with 2 APs for a normal sized 3 bed semi.
I think it's the solid brick/concrete walls, just kills the signal.
I'll probably get another for the garage and back garden.
One U6 Pro covers upstairs, a U6 Mesh for downstairs but still weak signal at the far end of the kitchen extension and in the garage.
I'm not after just acceptable signal either I want decent speeds.
But definitely try one first it'll give you an idea of how far the signal goes in your house.

Yeh I am tempted to just try one to start especially given the price. Currently I have a Vodafone router for my cityfibre FTTP in the middle of the top floor and an ageing TP-Link router being used as a switch and AP in the middle of the ground floor. Neither has enough signal to cover the whole house top to bottom or front to back even when moved to the middle of the middle floor. I get practically no signal at the back of the house on the ground floor and no signal at all in my back garden because of the amount of brick and metal (appliances and pipes in walls) between the router and back of hte house. So I was thinking one AP on the middle floor at the back of the house and one on the ground floor at the front. But thanks for the suggestions, I will try one to start and move it around to see how it goes.
Any thoughts on a switch?

Soldato
Yeh I am tempted to just try one to start especially given the price. Currently I have a Vodafone router for my cityfibre FTTP in the middle of the top floor and an ageing TP-Link router being used as a switch and AP in the middle of the ground floor. Neither has enough signal to cover the whole house top to bottom or front to back even when moved to the middle of the middle floor. I get practically no signal at the back of the house on the ground floor and no signal at all in my back garden because of the amount of brick and metal (appliances and pipes in walls) between the router and back of hte house. So I was thinking one AP on the middle floor at the back of the house and one on the ground floor at the front. But thanks for the suggestions, I will try one to start and move it around to see how it goes.
Any thoughts on a switch?
Just go on the store and filter by features you want/need.

Soldato
I'm in a brick-walled 1900s terrace. I have a Unifi Express upstairs at the front of the house where the fibre comes into my study. I've run CAT6 down to the under stairs which is in the centre of the house. All the NAS, PoE switch, printer etc lives under there, with a U6+ run through the wall and mounted in the dining room facing out the back of the house.

This gives me solid coverage everywhere, including out to the garden.

The U6+ is miles better than UX, all my wireless devices tend to stick to it, even the downstairs front of the house which is 'behind' it.

Associate
I'm in a brick-walled 1900s terrace. I have a Unifi Express upstairs at the front of the house where the fibre comes into my study. I've run CAT6 down to the under stairs which is in the centre of the house. All the NAS, PoE switch, printer etc lives under there, with a U6+ run through the wall and mounted in the dining room facing out the back of the house.

This gives me solid coverage everywhere, including out to the garden.

The U6+ is miles better than UX, all my wireless devices tend to stick to it, even the downstairs front of the house which is 'behind' it.
Very similar to me though I'm semi detached and cable is a mix of cat5a installed about 15 years ago and Cat6a installed last year. Will stick to the one U6 AP to start. Just trying to decide between the USW-Ultra with a poe injector to power it and the Lite 8 poe switch....

Soldato
Well I installed the UCG-Ultra last night at a family member as a replacement to the Unifi Express, massive improvement. So currently setup is NanoHD, Unifi Express and a 3rd party switch with a Virgin connection.

Previously the Unifi Express would sometimes sit at 100% CPU and drop the connection, this is with 20 devices on average rising to 25-30 when family and friends visit, but lots of streaming, XBox, Nintendo switch, Virign TV box, YouTube.

Since swapping out the console is quick, changes are applied without dropping the connection and the speed is now at the 350/35 that they are paying for. Prior to that it was topping out at 250-70 ish if quiet. I get things like traffic and device identification need to be turned off in order to get the Express prob performing better.

So the plan is a Unifi switch, (looking for a U16-Lite.... ;) if anyone has one for sale) as she would like to spilt some devices onto a different network which is greater restrictions overnight, the logic is that with private wifi on iPhones etc. make it difficult at times to track and block, it would be done at a network level. They're not a tech savy family, so it needs to be simple. You connect to this WiFi SSID for kids and this for Adults for example.

U6-Lite arriving today that I landed for £43, that will potentially replace the Express, but problem is where to mount it. The lounge is an extension, which is a flat roof, not going to attempt to mount it on the ceiling, so I may look at wall mounting it. The NanoHD is due at some point to be mounted on the ceiling in the hallway once a cable is run back to the 12 port patch pannel.

It's a bungalow that they completely stripped and redoing up, sadly her husband was killed in a Police RTA in 2022 so things went sideways. Cabling was fixed over the Easter weekend, miss-punched Cat6 cables, so they're all now on B spec rather than A one end and B the other..

So would I purchase another Unifi Express, probably not, but maybe for a slower connection with circa 5 users. I wish I'd sent it back tbh, but it'll be up for sale later on I expect. However it does function absolutely fine in AP mode and speed wise works perfectly now it's only doing AP tasking.

For me it just highlights Unifi's flooding of options with a few meh, in reality it provides flexibity and also draws people into the eco system to then spend ££.

I believe from the recent conference there is a focus on the edge and switch line up this year, but the edge is still no pfsense/Sophos XG/Untangle (Home dead now).

To add, I was tempted to add this on the UniFi community site and see their response / lack of. If buying again I’d get the U6-Mesh for where the express is located.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom