*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Associate
<snip>

Previously the Unifi Express would sometimes sit at 100% CPU and drop the connection, this is with 20 devices on average rising to 25-30 when family and friends visit, but lots of streaming, XBox, Nintendo switch, Virign TV box, YouTube.
Didn't think the Express would be that underpowered! I was considering getting one for family too but may steer clear

Soldato
Ws
Didn't think the Express would be that underpowered! I was considering getting one for family too but may steer clear

I would, but equally depends what connection speed they have, number of devices and use case. Express and Lite I think are pointless offerings overall, but Unifi like to clutter their product space.

Soldato
Just what everyone wanted, a non PoE UDM Pro with two drive bays and an extra PSU! Next year they might let us have a UDM Pro SE with PoE and two PSU's/drive bays! The year after that can release versions without castrated onboard switch bandwidth.

Do better Ubiquiti. Please.

Man of Honour
Just what everyone wanted, a non PoE UDM Pro with two drive bays and an extra PSU! Next year they might let us have a UDM Pro SE with PoE and two PSU's/drive bays! The year after that can release versions without castrated onboard switch bandwidth.

Do better Ubiquiti. Please.
It's quite bizarre.

If only they did a 1U gateway without the apps (Network Application, Protect etc), HDD bays, no PoE switch, you might call it the UXG-Pro and charge £480 for it.

Soldato
Previously the Unifi Express would sometimes sit at 100% CPU and drop the connection, this is with 20 devices on average rising to 25-30 when family and friends visit, but lots of streaming, XBox, Nintendo switch, Virign TV box, YouTube.

Did you have IPS or IDS enabled? That’s generally what screws up the CPU utilisation.

Soldato
Then something doesn’t add up. That’s actually quite a decent router. Did you have any non-standard functionality enabled? Firewall rules?

Nope, all standard re firewall rules.

Maybe I should have logged a call with UI, but it's in AP mode now. Still showing odd things anyway, it shows zero clients connected, but there are and such.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nope, all standard re firewall rules.

Maybe I should have logged a call with UI, but it's in AP mode now. Still showing odd things anyway, it shows zero clients connected, but there are and such.

Hmmm. I have to say we looked at it and we thought it was OK but I’ve never actually sold any. The new Max Ultra though, that’s a very good device.

Soldato
Max-Ultra does look good, but no controller there and wanted to keep it simpler etc. My network, if I was to move off a 3rd party gateway, Max-Ultra would be where I'd start. Since the UCG-Ultra went in, it's been spot on, just wish I hadn't wasted ££ on the Express and gone for a U6-Mesh/FlexHD AP etc. It's a 350/50 connection, so no point in screaming for the U7-Pro APs and such atm.

ATM I'm perfectly happy with my Sophos XG hardware running other firewalls. Got a XG125 Rev3, XG135 Rev3 and XG230 Rev2. Should probably sell one off tbh. The XG230 Rev2 has 10Gb SFP+ module avaliable, but I've not fitted it and used it as it takes power usaged from 30w to 50w. The other two units are around 20w. Running XG125 Rev3 atm, but migrating to the XG135Rev 3 tomorrow. I'll then have a look at opnsense on the 125.

S2S IPSEC VPN to my parents
OpenVPN for my Laptop
Wireguard for my iPhone/iPad.

Split tunnel and full tunnel configurations based on where I'm connecting from, all works nicely.

Last edited:
Soldato
On my training they told us to run the camera termination to a surface mounted box near the camera and run the last bit between our termination and the camera with a patch cable, not because it’s better, but because if you ever need to move the camera in future you just change out the patch cable for a longer/shorter one. If you terminate directly into an RJ45 plug at the camera, you’re basically stuffed.

I assume that’s what the OP has done, they just don’t want to be bothered making short patch cables. If they made their own, I don’t suppose they’d have an issue with anti-snag hoods etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom