** Official Ubuntu Thread **

Associate
I might give Ubuntu Studio a try again. I've been hankering for a Linux day to day setup for a while. It all rests on if I can get my Neural DSP stuff working on wine.

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Can someone breakdown snaps vs flatpak vs just using apt?

In general software installed via snaps and flatpak can be more up-to-date.

Snaps are native to Ubuntu. Flatpak you have to install.

Due to security concerns some developers have shunned snaps and only release as flatpak like Keepassxc for example.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Having updated to the latest release Mantic Minotaur the new Firmware Updater utility keeps popping up letting me know there is a "UEFI Dbx - UEFI revocation database" update.

No other information is really available for it so I don't quite know what it is offering me.

I have applied the latest bios update for my mobo so I am a bit perplexed what it could be offering me and I am wary to run the upgrade in case it breaks something.

Do we really need Ubuntu (or any os for that matter) to manage our firmware?

If I apply some open source firmware, how does that work when it comes to updating it again from official sources...???

Last edited:
Soldato
Having updated to the latest release Mantic Minotaur the new Firmware Updater utility keeps popping up letting me know there is a "UEFI Dbx - UEFI revocation database" update.

No other information is really available for it so I don't quite know what it is offering me.

I have applied the latest bios update for my mobo so I am a bit perplexed what it could be offering me and I am wary to run the upgrade in case it breaks something.

Do we really need Ubuntu (or any os for that matter) to manage our firmware?

If I apply some open source firmware, how does that work when it comes to updating it again from official sources...???

Ubuntu isn't trying to manage your firmware, it's telling you the revocation database is out of date, it's trying to help you not brick anything around secure boot / boot loader stuff.

Take a look at:

Soldato
i dont see the point in using that, everyones gone in on k8 now

Competition is good, LXC/LXD still has some good advantages, but I widely agree that Docker/K8s has won the overall battle, but Kubernetes is much more complicated overall I would say. This almost looks more like a smaller less functional version of Openstack if anything, LXD, Ceph and OVN. I'd be interested in how Ceph performs within Snaps, as I know one of the perceived issues is performance. I haven't really used Snaps as of yet, so can't say if it's a legitimate concern.

Associate
Has anyone had any success with installing Ubuntu on an external drive? I managed to install mint on an external ssd and it installed fine. I have decided to try out kUbuntu instead but every time I install it no bootloader is put on the external drive. I have tried a full install to the ssd and manually setting the partitions but all have failed. I can’t/don’t want to remove all drives from my pc as my windows drive is under the gfx card. Ubuntu also does not install this is driving me mad.

Back
Top Bottom