** Official Ubuntu Thread **

Built a new box with Ubuntu, 24.04, on a 13500 IntelCPU using the integrated gfx.

Its connected to a Samsung 49" ultra wide, that allows PBP, so I can run two different inputs side by side.

Whenever I turn on PBP, the HDMI input from the ubuntu box goes blank. I've never had this happen before with other screen sharing (EG My MacBook and my windows desktop)

It doesn't seem to matter which resolution I set the Ubuntu box to, it isn't willing to play ball.

Any ideas?

About time.

Last edited:
I guess that also means the new LTS will be available for upgrade. I’ll try that out soon. I’m using Ubuntu Server.

Looks like it’s on the official site.

Upgrade to latest LTS for server went pretty well, nothing broken for me that I can notice yet. Carried over smb config just fine as well. I did check what it was changing first.

I use virtual box and Ubuntu on my windows work laptop.

Annoyingly 24.04 doesn't run properly on the latest version of VB. You get graphical corruption when you enable the 3d graphics settings.

There is an open bug for it, they said they made improvements with VB 7.1.4 but I tried Ubuntu 24.04 again yesterday and it still exhibited the same problems.

Garbled graphics.

There is a workaround to enable using the older graphics backend but I like things to just work out of the box as intended.

Last edited:
I've got an old Alienware 17 with a GTX970 in it, running Mint right now.
I didn't do anything aside from install the Nvidia driver through driver manager. I did install TLP to sort power usage out, but pretty sure that just does CPU stuff.
Nvidia still seems to have a bad reputation on Linux, but I think it's just years old info being regurgitated.

I'm on Ubuntu 24.04.1 LTS on an old PC, since my windows PC died and is awaiting a new motherboard. Don't really know what I'm doing with Ubuntu, it's been so far so good, but I've noticed especially after a system software update, Vivaldi shows a dialog on startup when it fails to decrypt an encrypted user profile, so I need to re-enter all my website logins. How can I stop this from happening?
From their website "When the dialog appears, it means that the decryption secret key has gone missing or that it has been changed. Your decryption secret key is stored safely in a subsystem managed by your operating system (the key store)"
Before Vivaldi opens, I do get a prompt to enter the key store password, which I do. How can I get this secret key to stop going AWOL?

Back
Top Bottom