Oh dear, I knew this would happen!

Associate
In recent threads I have been discussing my proposed new build. Well, today, everything arrived as expected. I have spent all day putting the parts together and then (no monitor connected) I turned the power switch on - Nothing! :( well, almost nothing, a little light on the mono flashed on and off, then nothing.

Is there anyone out there who wouldn’t mind spending some time helping me to figure this out please?

All the best
Bob

Associate
Check:
front panel connectors are in the right places
RAM is fully seated (you may think you have and it isn't)
you have connected up the CPU power (not just the main board power)

It is difficult to know what to say without knowing your level of experience/knowledge, and what your component list is.

Associate
OP
Hi guys, I used to build mu own computers from 1995 to around 2005 I think but I haven't done it for quite a long time.
McNumpty my component list:
My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £2,167.11 (includes shipping: £14.70)

The PSU manual is next to useless. There is of course the obvious power connector to the ATX socket with 24 pins. There is also the sockets for the 8 pin connector with the 4 pin socket next to it, however, I don't appear to have a corresponding lead for the 4 pin socket. So two of the leads that came with the PSU are marked CPU and have an 8 pin plug on them but no 4 pin. I have therefore only connected the 8 pin.
SSD Hard drive is fitted to M2M
RAM is fitted to B2 and A2 (checked for proper fit).
Front panel connections I will re check in the morning.

Thank you for your responses guys

Soldato
Thanks Mcmumpty, I’ll take a closer look at those connectors.
They were both required a few years ago Acme but not sure about now.
Most people just use the 8 pin EPS power connector, unless doing extreme overclocking (as in, sub-zero temperatures).

Have you tried the minimum setup to boot? Take the board out of the case and set it up on top of its box, just connect CPU, one stick of RAM and power. Use onboard graphics. Check fans spin, look for error lights on motherboard etc.

Soldato
as above, just trying to get into bios. even discount SSD.

Aorus board should have basic fault LED at the bottom right of the mobo . VGA/MOBO/CPU and Ram indication. it goes red on one or multiple then you've got an issue.

reseat the cpu and remount . times i've installed CPUs the wrong way around lol

Permabanned
as above, just trying to get into bios. even discount SSD.

Aorus board should have basic fault LED at the bottom right of the mobo . VGA/MOBO/CPU and Ram indication. it goes red on one or multiple then you've got an issue.

reseat the cpu and remount . times i've installed CPUs the wrong way around lol

Not sure how you have managed to install a cpu the wrong way around you can’t.

Associate
OP
Hi guys I really appreciate you all trying to help, it's great. Thank you.

So, not tried the basic setup with mobo out of case but today,

1 stripped everything out of case.
2 Cleaned yesterdays arctic silver 5 off both CPU and cooler.
3 Re-applied the arctic silver as per the instructions for the Intel cpu on the Arctic Silver web site.
4 Moved the RAM to the other two slots & ensured enough pressure applied to spring the end clips into locked position.
5 Re-seated the GFX card.
6 8 pin CPU power connected.
7 CPU fan connected.
8 Chassis fans x 3 connected.
9 24 pin MoBo ATX connector pushed in.
10 Front panel connections all made and as secure as they can be.

NO USB keyboard or mouse connected and NO monitor (it would be a TV via HDMI)

Power on

Red/orange leds by the Ram and Red LED on the chipset flashed on and off. No fans spun or even tried to, nothing other than the brief flashing of LED's and no error code lights displayed.

Soldato
Proceed to bread-boarding it outside of case. Lay mobo on its box (don't use the anti-static bag it came in). 24-pin ATX, 8-pin CPU (EPS), CPU, CPU cooler fan and RAM connected.

Don't connect: SSD, GPU (use onboard graphics), system fans or front panel connectors. Start it up touching flat-tip screwdriver on the two PWR pins (where front panel connector PWR leads usually go).

Check gold contacts on underside of CPU for any tiny specks of dust or paste. Don't tighten the CPU cooler screws too much. Test each stick of RAM in different slots.

Soldato
So two of the leads that came with the PSU are marked CPU and have an 8 pin plug on them but no 4 pin.

Those 8 pin plugs split into two. The 9900K is a power-hungry CPU so you may need both the 8 pin and a 4 pin plugged in.

Did you get any beep codes?

Your PSU is similar to mine. Yours has RGB. Are the cables pressed firmly home on the PSU? They should light up. Are they in the right sockets?

Associate
Those 8 pin plugs split into two. The 9900K is a power-hungry CPU so you may need both the 8 pin and a 4 pin plugged in.

I built a 9770KS system a few weeks ago on a different mobo the quick assembly instructions say to connect 8 and 4 pin connector so you should do that. Also I noticed that DDR4 ram takes a bit more pressure to seat than DDR3.

Soldato
As said
Usually only the 1 x 8 pin is needed
But explained they split in half
For ops future reference
And won't hurt connecting it anyway
Do Simplest thing first
As my auros ultra did exactly this
After 3 days of working perfectly
After countless hours of troubleshooting
Removing the bios battery
For at least 30 minutes/pc turned off