Oh dear, I knew this would happen!

Associate
OP
Right, so I’ve been on to OCUK tech support and explained what I have done and the fact I am getting the same result as before. Tech support and I came to the conclusion that as unlikely as it may seem, I have got another DOA motherboard. It would seem that Gigabyte MoBo’s and I are NOT friends. Now the suggestion is to RMA this board and purchase a different brand.

Man of Honour
Random but if you take out the ssd does it boot? Vaguely recall there being an issue with some m.2 drives on certain intel chipsets

Associate
OP
Guys, I tried the no SSD on the first board but it made no difference. When this board did the same thing OCUK Tech support just said RMA and try a different brand, so I immediately stripped it down, parcelled it up and sent it back. I will be receiving an ASUS Maximus XI tomorrow so we’ll see how that goes but when I build it, I WILL first do so out of the case (as I did today) and without the SSD fitted. In fact, I will do just CPU, Cooler and one stick of RAM with Keyboard Mouse and Monitor plugged in.

And Thank you ALL for your input, I really do appreciate it.

Soldato
With the luck you are having I wouldn't bother buying a lottery ticket:)
Good call to do it outside the case though
Fingers crossed for you Asus board does the trick very unlikely to get 2 doa boards
But have learned never to say impossible when it comes to pcs:rolleyes:
We have all been there so although it's very frustrating and stressful
You are gaining experience and will get there in the end
And will have a really nice pc
As always we will be here if you need help :)

Associate
OP
We cancelled our lottery ticket purchases ages ago :)
Hopefully I will have better luck but things do usually come in 3’s.
One thing that puzzles me is that the crystal sockets on the power supply do not light up at all, does anyone know when/under what conditions they should light?

As always, thanks for your help, it is very much appreciated.
Bob

Permabanned
What stepping is the processor?

According to the manual there are two i9-9900K chips with two different steppings R0 and P0;

Intel Core i9-9900K 3.60GHz 16MB 350 MHz / 1200 MHz Coffee Lake 14nm R0 95W 100 F9
Intel Core i9-9900K 3.60GHz 16MB 350 MHz / 1200 MHz Coffee Lake 14nm P0 95W 100 F5

P0 requires Bios F5, where as;
R0 requires Bios F9

Can you confirm the stepping on the processor?

Information taken from the CPU Support List
https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-PRO-rev-10/support#support-cpu

Permabanned
Can you also take some photographs of your setup (Outside the case) Show us your connections from power supply to board e.t.c.

This is your manual read through it.
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_z390-aorus-pro_wifi_1001_190708_e.pdf

You are connecting the ATX_12V_2X4 from power supply on the motherboard header ain't you? You might need both the 4 pin header and the 8 pin header connected due to that CPU.

It might require both to start spinning up due to power requirements possible.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Permabanned
Last edited:
Soldato
We cancelled our lottery ticket purchases ages ago :)
Hopefully I will have better luck but things do usually come in 3’s.
One thing that puzzles me is that the crystal sockets on the power supply do not light up at all, does anyone know when/under what conditions they should light?

As always, thanks for your help, it is very much appreciated.
Bob
Never had a psu with the light up sockets so unsure about that
You could test with the paperclip test to see if they light up
Ie something like paperclip from the green wire to a black wire in the 24 pin motherboard psu connector cable

Soldato
Can you also take some photographs of your setup (Outside the case) Show us your connections from power supply to board e.t.c.

This is your manual read through it.
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_z390-aorus-pro_wifi_1001_190708_e.pdf

You are connecting the ATX_12V_2X4 from power supply on the motherboard header ain't you? You might need both the 4 pin header and the 8 pin header connected due to that CPU.

It might require both to start spinning up due to power requirements possible.
Pretty sure he's connecting both was one of his first queries if I remember the beginning of this post lol

Soldato
It's recommended to connect both when overclocking or have higher capacity hardware in the system.
Reread the whole thread
Though I likely missed stuff as was a lot for me to read and I don't do well with reading a load at once
As you probably know
Did advise connecting both even if not strictly required
Though you could be right I didn't see
Where they actually confirmed doing it
So probably first thing to get
The op to confirm

Permabanned
Reread the whole thread
Though I likely missed stuff as was a lot for me to read and I don't do well with reading a load at once
As you probably know
Did advise connecting both even if not strictly required
Though you could be right I didn't see
Where they actually confirmed doing it
So probably first thing to get
The op to confirm

I saw people advising to connect both but this wasn’t confirmed. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong. :)

Back
Top Bottom