Oil's all gone!

Soldato
really? then you best explain this to yamaha then as every Yam I've had drank oil like I drink beer, 1litre per 1000miles and the light always came on and it never done any harm to my engines :D
I agree with you on that one..

As i Had an 1998 R1 for 4 1/2 years
2002 fazer 1000 gen1 for 4years
and now owned a 2008 fazer 1000 gen2 for over 2 years (This one has never burned or lost any oil of what i noticed so far )

And notice that the oil light can come on randomly when the oil level is still half way up the oil level site glass..

Last edited:
Soldato
I check oil every week have done on all bike's I have had for over 26 years It takes about 2 seconds to glance at a spy glass 10 seconds for a dip stick, never waited for a oil pressure light to come on really is not a good idea,as for your r1 then perhaps the indicator is more of a level indicator not sure but i for one would **** my pants if my oil light came on.

To the op bad luck buddy very heart braking news for any one to face your pride and joy.

Edit: Have seen some oil lights flicker on older bikes I have owned done a check and re started my heart :D

Last edited:
Soldato
really? then you best explain this to yamaha then as every Yam I've had drank oil like I drink beer, 1litre per 1000miles and the light always came on and it never done any harm to my engines :D

Either your are simply lucky or your Yamaha had a genuine oil level light. The oil pressure light coming on is pretty serious.

Soldato
the problem with option 1 being, if you had an uninsured accident, would you cough up £3k to repair a bike worth £4.5k?, just doesn't seem sensible to me.

It's a very different thing though, the bike isn't a cat C or D getting repaired and having that black mark against it. It's basically an 08 bike with a brand new manufacturer fitted and fully warrantied engine. That makes it worth more than the '57 bike with 11k on the clock for £5k ;)

Associate
You can always try and find out how much you could get for '08 F800 with a new engine fitted, and if it pays off then borrow £3k, have it done and sell it. Then pay the loan back and see where you go from there. Just an idea...

Soldato
Just had both the dealer and BMW Cust services on the phone. They're offering to pay for half the parts cost. Leaving me with a bill of £3,070.

I don't have £3,070. I've literally no idea what to do next.

I assume that half the parts cost is way less than half the bill? Your next step is to push for half the bill (incl. labour.) I would have thought that the labour element on this is high, they will be getting away virtually scot free as the parts to them at cost price is negligeable and they will be supplying them at list price.

Soldato
OP
Labour's surprisingly cheap - once the top's off you just pull the whole thing and drop a new one in. Brand new engine is around £5,000 - I'd only be paying a couple hundred for the labour.

I also got the dealer to give me an estimate of the bike value once all work done. They said £4k private, £3.5k trade-in.

What a joke.

VoG

VoG

Soldato
I also got the dealer to give me an estimate of the bike value once all work done. They said £4k private, £3.5k trade-in.

Thats grim :(

I think ide try & pick up a sh motor & stuff that in, then get rid, or just break it as is on ebay, put the whole bloody mess behind me & move on.

Associate
Just had both the dealer and BMW Cust services on the phone. They're offering to pay for half the parts cost. Leaving me with a bill of £3,070.

I don't have £3,070. I've literally no idea what to do next.

I think youd be mad to pay it.

If it was me id start breaking it for parts and get a new (jap) bike tbh

Very sad to hear this :(

Associate
Labour's surprisingly cheap - once the top's off you just pull the whole thing and drop a new one in. Brand new engine is around £5,000 - I'd only be paying a couple hundred for the labour.

What a joke.
What the F?! Brand new engine costs £5k, but once it's on the bike it's worth half that?! No no no, to hell with them. They are trying to shake you down mate, otherwise they'd be out of business if they played fair.
Ok, this is what you need to do: go to your local bike market connoisseur and ask them for a real value estimate, not the bunch of baloney from the dealership. Seeing how they handled your problem in the first place, I'd say they don't know their as* from their elbow.
You should also visit bike markets yourself, online and offline, to feel the pulse for F800s, if you will.
Next, you should try to obtain some legal advice (of course, off the record, as it won't cost you nothing) about what your options are. You have given them a broken bike, and despite being an authorized service shop, they haven't fixed it. It was their duty to strip the engine, localize the problem and fix it, or let you decide if you want it fixed. Simply putting the bike back on the road and saying "let us know if it rattles some more" is plain wrong and irresponsible. I agree with some of the guys here you should be pushing for the whole price write off, but you should do it legally. Until you hit 'em where it hurts, they won't give a damn. They wouldn't be offering to pay half the cost if they didn't have something to hide, it has nothing to do with "good will". Trust me.
The only thing bothers me though: when you dropped it off in the service shop for the first time, did you let them know you did the oil change beforehand? If you did, then there's no excuse for what they did. Even if it took a month to diagnose the problem, they were not supposed to put it back on the road.
Stay adamant here. If you budge for a second, you'll lose.
And don't worry about involving the law. You're the victim here.

P.S. This will take some time and effort on your part, but no pain-no gain.

Last edited:
Soldato
idiot lights are called idiot lights for a reason. ;)

check before you start it up on every ride out - 2 second job!

live and learn.

regarding the new parts - is it £3k just for the parts? - if not how much is labur and do it yourself.
Well not you per se but someone whose good with engines.

Ask them if the botom end can be rebored (should be a yes unless new bottom end required...) and new parts fitted? You'd be amazaed hat somone with a little bit of know-how can do. :)

Associate
idiot lights are called idiot lights for a reason. ;)

check before you start it up on every ride out - 2 second job!

live and learn.

Yep, he failed there, no doubt.
That doesn't excuse the service shop failure the least bit though.
He had put his trust in them and ended up with a scrap engine.
What would you do if you, for example, heard your PC's hard drive clanging and gave it in for repair, only to find out the guys didn't actually do any diagnostics but instead asked you to use it and keep an eye on it? But you're not an expert when it comes to PC so asking you to do their job is ridiculous, because you don't know what to look for. And lo and behold, few days later your hard drive blows up.
Now imagine the same scenario with him instead of you, and his F800 instead of your PC.
Not the best comparison, but should give you a rough idea what I mean.
Had they told him not to ride it before asking a second opinion, I could understand that. But doing what they did is inexcusable. And they should pay for their mistake. I've seen things like this happen, they only want to wash their hands because they'd have to pay for it. It's always easier to blame the customer and they can say anything they want because they're the "experts".
Well, experts wouldn't advise their customer to ride its bike, basically to death, without resolving the problem. Bikes' engines shouldn't rattle, not even a little bit. Period.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I did tell them that I'd done the oil change myself and that I wouldn't be requiring to spend money on new oil + filter at the service. They're using the whole "ah, but if we'd changed the oil, we'd have spotted the problem" excuse.

I actually took a sample of the old oil to them, and they agreed that there wasn't any metal in it. In other words, them doing the oil change wouldn't have told them anything new.

I'm torn. A part of me loves the bike, so wants to just spend the money (I'll pull it out of the mortgage) and write it off as experience. The other half of me thinks that a dealer that doesn't recognise imminent engine failure needs to have the **** slapped out of them. But that said, I don't know what my first step would be, legally.

Any advice?

Back
Top Bottom