Oil's all gone!

Associate
Good stuff! I have just worked up to the stage of ordering my rear discs and pads, changing those will be my first venture into unscrewing anything on my F800!

Regarding point 3, is it obvious visually which iteration of the pinion the bike has?

Tell me, what is the name of these Guildford people you mention? I F3'd a bit but failed to find in the thread.

Soldato
OP
Brakes are still voodoo to me. I don't like going near them.

The older, rigid pinion is 'hollow', whereas the newer one is 'solid':

Also, guildford = Vines Of Guildford.

Associate
There is a puller to get the front sprocket off,they are ***ken tight.Then you just knock it back on with a plastic mallet.
Maybe put the old engine in the boot and ask if a dealer can wip it off for you,then ride in and get it swapped.

Associate
New engine works perfectly!

There's a few bits and pieces that I need to sort out:

1) Need to figure out where the three bolts I had left over actually go, and if anything fall off.
2) Headstock bearings still need replacing.
3) The belt pinion on the working engine is an older design to the one that broke. Originanlly BMW shipped the F800s with a rigid belt pinion, but that gives a fairly lumpy ride at slow speeds. They changed it later to a damped version which improves things. Somehow need to get the pinion off the old engine and refit it to the new one.

Other than that, it's great! You can tell it's a lower mileage engine, things feel a touch less rattly and a touch tighter, the gearbox especially. The idle clutch chatter is a fair bit louder though, but that's part of the older engines "character".

I must say that after embarking on this, no job looks too big now. I knew I needed the headstock bearings doing before, and was dreading it slightly. Now I know it's a fairly simple thing :)

Post a picture of the 3 bolts

Back
Top Bottom