Old MSN 'winks'

V F

V F

Soldato
You've just made me feel very old :( Oh and I like the dialup sound too....

When are the men in white coats coming for me? :o

Scary hearing that sound. It was a flashback to 1999 for me. Heh, DND set during Quake 3 sessions and you'd be flooded with uh-ohs.

Associate
Those were the days; IQC and a blazing fast 56k modem connection (that cut off at midnight) - these kids today don't know how good they have it.
/pipe&slippers

Soldato
Scary hearing that sound. It was a flashback to 1999 for me. Heh, DND set during Quake 3 sessions and you'd be flooded with uh-ohs.

Those were the days; IQC and a blazing fast 56k modem connection (that cut off at midnight) - these kids today don't know how good they have it.
/pipe&slippers

There was some related video I watched after giving my ears some 56k dialup pleasure ( ;) ) which had teens reactions to the internet.... their faces when the dialup modem sound was played to them was amusing......

Don't know how good they have it indeed! I'm pleased I was around to see the beginnings of the net really taking off.

V F

V F

Soldato
Irritating during a Quake 3 game and you'd hear the dreaded click. By the time you rejoined the server was full.

Don't know how good they have it indeed! I'm pleased I was around to see the beginnings of the net really taking off.

Were you one back then when you spoke of the Internet and the majority called you a nerd? The girls/women weren't any different. Look at them all on their phones browsing today…

Last edited:
Soldato
Irritating during a Quake 3 game and you'd hear the dreaded click. By the time you rejoined the server was full.

Were you one back then when you spoke of the Internet and the majority called you a nerd? The girls/women weren't any different. Look at them all on their phones browsing today…

I most definitely was! Tended to finish school, go out on my mountain bike for a couple of hours in the summer evenings with friends then on the computer. I found it absolutely amazing back then, remember asking my IT teacher if he had a problem with me using Hotmail and him not knowing what it was :D

Associate
/pipe&slippers

Yeah. Its crazy when you think back to how it was back then. I remember trying to sneak onto the internet before 6pm and my mum shouting at me because it would cost a fortune...ah good times.

Soldato
Yeah. I find it quite sad to be honest. I was trying to describe the MSN Gaming Zone to some teenage guy on Steam the other week and after a while I realised that I sound like my dad explaining some boring thing from his era.

I always thought it was a bit random that Rogue Spear was on there. I remember it being a pain to get a game going sometimes, but was brilliant when it worked.

V F

V F

Soldato
There was some related video I watched after giving my ears some 56k dialup pleasure ( ;) ) which had teens reactions to the internet.... their faces when the dialup modem sound was played to them was amusing......

How many ICQ sounds were there? I found some through Adium.

http://sendvid.com/amx7h01r

Soldato
ASL?
tongue_smile.gif

Associate
Mike, the sound you quoted is the one I've always known it to be. 1998, it give it context.

Also from the original Worms game I believe (or possibly just very similar) which was the first game I played online! Still remember asking some guy what 'm8' meant, and then feeling stupid.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom