Older generation - racist?

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
You didn't strike me as someone who's led a sheltered life but this post makes it sound like you have.

:p
Not so much sheltered more I chose the Company I kept & I Never choose Racists as company.
Now I am going to work like the rest of you though I have to put up with who I am lumped with.
Just shows me how Lucky I have been over the years not to have to deal with such retarded ignorance.

Soldato
she said she feared what she didn't know, most people do. Fear, and hate are completely and utterly different things. The fact she could understand why she felt that, and could talk about it pretty much says she isn't racist.

But she would definitely rather sit next to a white person on a bus than a black person, and would probably avoid black men unless she absolutely had to have contact with one. Because of this, she can be said to be acting upon her racial prejudices, and is thus racist.

Racial hate is something different. You can be racist, without feeling racial hatred.

Permabanned
:p
Not so much sheltered more I chose the Company I kept & I Never choose Racists as company.
Now I am going to work like the rest of you though I have to put up with who I am lumped with.
Just shows me how Lucky I have been over the years not to have to deal with such retarded ignorance.

Why do you capitalise random words?

Soldato
To be honest that is completely normal amongst pretty much everyone (including myself, and everyone in my age group) in my area. Its mainly just banter, which black people simply have to accept if they want to live here.

Lol, what?

They're born here for christ's sakes.

'They' are as British as anyone else. Black British people are more British than me. What the **** do you mean, "simply have to accept (it) if they want to live here"?

I can get through most days without racist remarks. I perfectly understand the concept of a joke though, and I'm not confusing racism and racist jokes as the same thing, but I'm smart enough to not dicuss them around black people, etc.

Plus, I rarely make racist jokes anyway (practically never, I hear them more than say them); I'm part foreigner to this country so anyone could probably insult me just the same.

My issue is that you're implying that black people have to simply accept ridicule in some form.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm old as well, and I do admit to using these terms on an almost daily basis. Years ago, this was the done thing. There was no multi-cultralism, no diversity, nothing. I grew up with this kind of thing as my parents, workmates, friends and neighbours all used to speak like this. If you've seen the film East is East, that illustrates just quite how it was believe it or not.

Permabanned
My girlfriend's family is from Pakistan. She was born in England.

She does not consider herself English.

However, she does consider herself British.

What do you think of that?

I agree with her that she is not English :)

She is British in a legal sense, she has citizenship by dint of being born here. She is correct about that.

Back
Top Bottom