Older generation - racist?

Man of Honour
I agree with her that she is not English :)

She is British in a legal sense, she has citizenship by dint of being born here. She is correct about that.

I see. You wouldn't accept that she is British in any other sense other than purely legal one, despite not meeting her?

Caporegime
a lot of the old people I deal with on a daily basis are blatently racist.

Even against me, and I'm Northern Irish. Not exactly a big jump across the world.

Permabanned
I see. You wouldn't accept that she is British in any other sense other than purely legal one, despite not meeting her?

I consider her an immigrant and not one of my people. Just like if I had been born in Pakistan, other Pakistanis would rightly not consider me a true Pakistani or one of their people. Nothing racist about it and I have nothing against her personally but she isn't one of us.

Man of Honour
I consider her an immigrant and not one of my people. Just like if I had been born in Pakistan, other Pakistanis would rightly not consider me a true Pakistani or one of their people. Nothing racist about it and I have nothing against her personally but she isn't one of us.

To me I think it is slightly different from your own example in that she admits she is not English, but that doesn't mean she can not be British.

I consider Britain as having a large mix of heritages. Our opinions will simply have to differ :)

Permabanned

So nationalistic xenophobia rather than simple racism?

Soldato
My girlfriend's family is from Pakistan. She was born in England.

She does not consider herself English.

However, she does consider herself British.

What do you think of that?

why is she british and not english why is she ashamed to be english?

Not english in my book either but why does she feel british?

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm sure she isn't ashamed of anything - she just recognises the fact that she isn't English.

But in your opinion, what is English?

'English', historically, is just a mixture of Anglo-Saxon, Norman, Roman & Viking (plus some other ancient nationalities/races).

Adding some African or Asian to the mix makes no difference to me.

I'm not accusing you of anything, just interested.

Back
Top Bottom