OLED users - do you have a second, non-OLED monitor?

Soldato
I look forward to a day when all screens are OLED (not gonna happen), then OLED owners wouldn't feel the need to mention it all the time. Like vegans, they just have to let you know.

BRB, just playing PC on the OLED, and then watching films on the other OLED, and then playing a few games in bed on the Steam Deck OLED and the Switch OLED. etc

Associate
After buying a 42" C2 I don't have any room left for a secondary display unless I mount it on an arm to the side.

I've been very happy with it coming from a 34" flat ultrawide IPS panel which is now on my girlfriend's desk. The ultrawide is nice but I can absolutely tell the difference in picture quality, black levels, etc. I don't use my OLED for work but I have done some office tasks such as writing job applications, web browsing, etc. and have never noticed the text issues people talk about.

Associate
Tempted to try the monitor myself. Was looking at the neo g7 but the curve seems silly, plus I don't like Samsung's support.

How's the contrast on the Aoc in HDR?
the contrast is not as good as my wrgb oled but then they have near on unlimited contrast but then it blows my old ips panel out the water.
i prefer the hdr in cyberpunk with all the bells and whistles on my monitor to be honest with the ultrawide format.

Soldato
27" VA curved
24" VA curved in portrait
and my 34" QD OLED when that arrives...

I'm pretty sure the VA's are gonna look like crap when the QD OLED is on.

Associate
I have an LG 48GQ900-B OLED Gaming monitor as my main display and a 27" 4K IPS Acer Predator as my second display.
I'm an IT consultant working remotely and play a range of games in the evenings so the LG is on 12+ Hours a day usually, 8-9 of those for productivity.
Had the LG since Feb this year and got 2395 hours on it, no burn in or dead pixels or any issues.

It has some protections such as dimming if you dont move windows for a while and will do a pixel refresh when you turn it off if its been on for 4 hours or more.
It has a matt screen which helps, i dont get any glare from it in my bright room like i do my LG C8 in the living room.

I know its not the perfect monitor, but for large format 120hz and a mix of productivity and casual gaming it hits the sweet spot for me.

Associate
I have an LG 48GQ900-B OLED Gaming monitor as my main display and a 27" 4K IPS Acer Predator as my second display.
I'm an IT consultant working remotely and play a range of games in the evenings so the LG is on 12+ Hours a day usually, 8-9 of those for productivity.
Had the LG since Feb this year and got 2395 hours on it, no burn in or dead pixels or any issues.

It has some protections such as dimming if you dont move windows for a while and will do a pixel refresh when you turn it off if its been on for 4 hours or more.
It has a matt screen which helps, i dont get any glare from it in my bright room like i do my LG C8 in the living room.

I know its not the perfect monitor, but for large format 120hz and a mix of productivity and casual gaming it hits the sweet spot for me.
LG seem to have good refresh management, although it doesn't appear consistent across the range - heard on the 27-32" monitors some of the tech isn't on by default.

I've been tempted to get an OLED for gaming but similar situation to you, my primary is also used for work, which makes me hesitant.

Associate
I have the 42C2, and am using the LG Dual UP in the below configuration:-

iWTIjko.jpg

Seems to work well, I do intend on getting a monitor arm for the c2 one day.. when the price is right

Associate
It's perfect for my job, I mainly do infrastructure diagrams, and read a bunch of legal papers so for that it's epic. Its only 60hz so keep that in mind but the colour accuracy is great and the PPI count is bigger than the c2, so it complements it really well.

Associate
Nah i use the alienware DWF exclusively- i don’t like the extra desk clutter so got rid of my previous LCD screens.

I use it for work and gaming but i use dark mode for a lot of stuff, keep the oled refresh gizmos on and take comfort in the three year dell burn in warranty.

Reactions: VTR
Associate
For gaming maybe but I still think OLED is flawed for desktop use and I think that's what the OP is driving at.

For those who may game but also use their screens heavily for desktop/productivity applications, the issues of text clarity/fringing and burn-in are genuine ones and, for many, will outweigh OLEDs advantages.
Personally I wouldn't consider an OLED as a desktop monitor as, whilst it would obviously be far superior for gaming, I'm also using it at the desktop for over eight hours every day and don't want to put up with inferior text clarity and burn-in issues.

The way manufacturers are all jumping on the OLED bandwagon these days is borderline annoying for those of us who choose to stick with LCD.
Take Alienware for example who, unless I'm mistaken, appear to have discontinued their LCD ultrawide monitors and now only sell the 34" OLED. What happened to the AW3821DW?
Yes, I was referring to Gaming only. I don't really use my screen for anything else other than gaming. Sorry, should have mentioned that earlier.

However, I have not noticed any issues with text that clear type would not solve. No burn in or any other issues present at this time. Had the screen for 14 months now.

Associate
Those of you who have OLED monitors, do you have a second non-OLED monitor for desktop and other non-gaming use?
No. I wouldn't give a non-OLED monitor houseroom.

I'd perhaps consider a non-OLED monitor if I did some kind of heavy productivity workflows with static UI elements; but my systems are strictly for entertainment, so no.

Klo

Klo

Soldato
Nah i use the alienware DWF exclusively- i don’t like the extra desk clutter so got rid of my previous LCD screens.

I use it for work and gaming but i use dark mode for a lot of stuff, keep the oled refresh gizmos on and take comfort in the three year dell burn in warranty.
If it had a 5+ year burn in warranty I'd be more comfortable, but I keep my screens much longer than 3 years.

Associate
If it had a 5+ year burn in warranty I'd be more comfortable, but I keep my screens much longer than 3 years.
Fair enough but with the amount of use the screen gets it’s likely any issue will present themselves within 3 years. Also im not aware of any manufacturer that gives 3 years let alone 5 or more for image retention.

Back
Top Bottom