OLED users - do you have a second, non-OLED monitor?

Caporegime
I've got the Alienware QD-OLED with a secondary monitor in portrait that's ancient (Dell U2515H) but still sharp and does the job.

I use both for non gaming use and game on the Alienware.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can't use anything other than OLED now. Anything else just looks utter pants.

For gaming maybe but I still think OLED is flawed for desktop use and I think that's what the OP is driving at.

For those who may game but also use their screens heavily for desktop/productivity applications, the issues of text clarity/fringing and burn-in are genuine ones and, for many, will outweigh OLEDs advantages.
Personally I wouldn't consider an OLED as a desktop monitor as, whilst it would obviously be far superior for gaming, I'm also using it at the desktop for over eight hours every day and don't want to put up with inferior text clarity and burn-in issues.

The way manufacturers are all jumping on the OLED bandwagon these days is borderline annoying for those of us who choose to stick with LCD.
Take Alienware for example who, unless I'm mistaken, appear to have discontinued their LCD ultrawide monitors and now only sell the 34" OLED. What happened to the AW3821DW?

Caporegime
For gaming maybe but I still think OLED is flawed for desktop use and I think that's what the OP is driving at.

For those who may game but also use their screens heavily for desktop/productivity applications, the issues of text clarity/fringing and burn-in are genuine ones and, for many, will outweigh OLEDs advantages.
Personally I wouldn't consider an OLED as a desktop monitor as, whilst it would obviously be far superior for gaming, I'm also using it at the desktop for over eight hours every day and don't want to put up with inferior text clarity and burn-in issues.

The way manufacturers are all jumping on the OLED bandwagon these days is borderline annoying for those of us who choose to stick with LCD.
Take Alienware for example who, unless I'm mistaken, appear to have discontinued their LCD ultrawide monitors and now only sell the 34" OLED. What happened to the AW3821DW?
Can't see the issue personally. Using them side by side I will still choose do my work on the OLED rather than the IPS panel. The IPS is there just for extra real estate. The colour accuracy, contrast and smoothness of the OLED make or a pleasure to use, I've never even noticed text issues after using the Cleartype tuning app and before tuning didn't feel its a bad as the text VA panels used to produce.

Not a jot of burn in on my release day DW panel.

Last edited:
Associate
i used my lg cx for a few weeks as my monitor but i was worried about image retention so i picked up a samsung neo g7 i was not too impressed had a few dead pixels and the curve was not suitable so i sent that back and settled on my aoc flat panel ultrawide.
i can leave anything on the desktop and not worry about burn in and i actually prefer some games on my monitor than my tv returnal and cyberpunk are the ones that i have played recently and switched between them.
obviously the lg is better for films being a higher res and support for the imax full screen format and dolby vision.

Associate
i used my lg cx for a few weeks as my monitor but i was worried about image retention so i picked up a samsung neo g7 i was not too impressed had a few dead pixels and the curve was not suitable so i sent that back and settled on my aoc flat panel ultrawide.
i can leave anything on the desktop and not worry about burn in and i actually prefer some games on my monitor than my tv returnal and cyberpunk are the ones that i have played recently and switched between them.
obviously the lg is better for films being a higher res and support for the imax full screen format and dolby vision.
The miniled one? Isn't the minimum brightness quite high?

Associate
Been using my oled for everything, I have no issues with any kind of content on it... the 2nd monitor is used for junk real estate or tabs I need to keep an eye on. My 2nd monitor is a VA panel though, got it for £100 so it's an unfair comparison from the get go.

The 2nd monitor is also great to have for when I need to record obs content, I can have it all running on the 2nd monitor without interfering with the rest of my work flow.

Associate
Can't use anything other than OLED now. Anything else just looks utter pants.
I’m the same, and have been for some time.

I even actively avoided iPhones when they had lcd and stuck with Samsung phones.

I’m that bad that I even avoid any pc hardware with lcd displays, like some graphics cards, coolers etc lol.

While oled isn’t perfect, I can tolerate its flaws more than those you might find on an lcd display, backlight bleed, blooming, clouding, (more prominent on ips panels) and purple smear etc on va panels.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Not OLED as I don't like them for desktop use, but I have a QD-LED VA (one of the few which doesn't suffer from annoying smearing) as a secondary display which is where an OLED would otherwise be and non-OLED for my main desktop.

I've not found an OLED monitor yet which doesn't have at least one annoying downside. I've various devices with OLED screens but I just really like the light/colours of the QD-LED VA and it doesn't have any major downsides.

Last edited:
Associate
55 inch lg oled for media.

27 inch asus oled as main monitor, gaming etc.

27 inch 1440p dell IPS for 2nd monitor, discord random crap on second screen while playing, working etc.

The dell looks shockingly poor next to the asus and the text quality on my oleds is fine. Not amazing but the issue seems blown out of proportion.

Last edited:
Associate
when i got mine i measured the nit count was around 158 on desktop in sdr i suppose that is higher than most but its not like it burnt my retinas out after having that neo g7 with the curve that got sent back :D
Tempted to try the monitor myself. Was looking at the neo g7 but the curve seems silly, plus I don't like Samsung's support.

How's the contrast on the Aoc in HDR?

Back
Top Bottom