Once was blind but now i see

Man of Honour
How much did it cost you (if you don't mind me asking)?

I really, really want this doing. I'm not sure exactly what my prescription is but I'm long sighted.

I can go all day without wearing glasses and not feel uncomfrotable, which is fine for e.g. the weekend. However at work I need them as I have to focus on computer screens etc all day.

Of course not - set me back just under £3000.

My eyes were stable for 5-6 years and all the tests were 100% ok. :)

Over the last 15 years I have spent considerably more than £3000 on my vision - so it felt like a sensible trade off cost wise.

Just that freedom I now have, although I wasn't hugely short sighted, but enough to need glasses to make life liveable. Just walking around the house and getting up in the morning and just doing sport, going for a swim or just going out and about without needing to worry which glasses to put on or what contact lenses etc...

For me it's been an investment, and over the last 2 years has been wonderful - I've almost forgotten what it was like to wear glasses!

Associate
Had mine done 3 weeks ago - also by optical express but at milton keynes. The op's description of the procedure is accurate but it really isnt that daunting or nasty - mine was over in less than 10 mins! Its not really painful at the time although it is a tad uncomfortable. I'd definitely recommend trying to get it done on a friday if poss so you get a full weeekend to recvoer before going back to work.

Well pleased with it so far, from -6 in both eyes to 20-20 in my left and a notch or 2 better than 20-20 in the right. Back at the gym now and swimming etc and its great. Not really had to do any night driving yet but in bright sunlight my eyes are still a little more sensitve than they were before. They did say this could take as long as 6 weeks to get back though.

Soldato
Thanks for the insight (lolol), I have perfect vision at the moment, Optician says my eyesight hasn't changed at all since I was 11 (I'm 22 now). But if my eyesight ever deteriorated I wouldn't hesitate to splash out on getting them lasered, in my opinion your sight is priceless!

Soldato
At present, unless my eyes fall out i would definitely recommend it.

LOL! :D

Glad it went ok, but whenever I see a thread like this about laser eye treatment I think of when Homer Simpson had it and his eyes kept scabbing over as he was driving home, so so funny.

Associate
Awesome, although the way you've described it seems a bit scary!

I went to Optical Express & Accuvision this week for consultations. I'm -7.00 in my left eye and -6.50 in my right so quite bad. Been wearing glasses since I was 13 (I'm 22).

Optical Express quoted me £3800 and Accuvision quoted me £3500. I decided to go with Accuvision as it seemed a lot more professional and they use newer & better technology than all the other laser eye companies (except for the London Eye Surgery place).

Procedure is due to take place next Tuesday at 2.20PM. I'm quite nervous now after reading your description!.

I have a few questions though if you don't mind answering them:

1. So it only took you about a day for your eyes to stop watering so much and for that "grit" feeling to stop?

2. You said you're not allowed to wet your eyes, what happens if you accidentially get some in your eyes and how long do you have to do this for?

3. When can you start watching TV/using a computer ect?

Thanks!

Soldato
I keep reading these threads and it keeps tempting me to get it done! I've been meaning to look into it properly for a while though. I'm about -6.5 in both eyes and I'd really like to not have to wear glasses, just to be able to get up in the mornings and see things first thing would be nice!

I need to get an eye check up soon anyway as I haven't had one for two years and new lenses will probably set me back a few hundred anyway!

Caporegime
Once I was blind then I could see.

Then I was blind again. :(

I got it done too young at 21.

Wow, I can't believe they'd let you have it done so young. That's bordering on negligence!

All the professionals I have spoken to said you should wait until much later in your life when your eyes are fairly stable.

I guess in your case they were just seeing $$$ signs.

Associate
I had my eyes done at Opitcal Express 18 months ago. My sight has been fine ever since! :)

The worst thing is the pressure the intralase laser puts on your eye when cutting the flap and the metal eye clamps ;)

I think I was -2.50. Used to have to wear glasses for driving and cinema :p

Caporegime
Of course not - set me back just under £3000.

My eyes were stable for 5-6 years and all the tests were 100% ok. :)

Over the last 15 years I have spent considerably more than £3000 on my vision - so it felt like a sensible trade off cost wise.

Just that freedom I now have, although I wasn't hugely short sighted, but enough to need glasses to make life liveable. Just walking around the house and getting up in the morning and just doing sport, going for a swim or just going out and about without needing to worry which glasses to put on or what contact lenses etc...

For me it's been an investment, and over the last 2 years has been wonderful - I've almost forgotten what it was like to wear glasses!
But you'll have to wear them again.

Soldato
Ive always wondered what happens if you move your eye whilst its cutting? Is this even possible.. Probably just one of my irrational fears putting me off doing it!

Caporegime
Ive always wondered what happens if you move your eye whilst its cutting? Is this even possible.. Probably just one of my irrational fears putting me off doing it!

The computer adjusts for it. Another thing to be worried about I guess, the fact that the person pressing a button to burn through part of your eye is nothing more than someone trained how to set up a rather simple computer program. Would you want that if something does go wrong?

Nowadays, there is very little to be worried about with the surgical procedure of laser eye surgery (in the developed world anyway). Common problems afterwards are dry eyes, and what is not known is the long term effects, nor does laser eye surgery stop you needing glasses later on in life.

Back
Top Bottom