Once was blind but now i see

Soldato
Getting Wavefront done tomorrow & getting a little nervous now.

For the people who are querying price my eyes are 1.75 Right & 2.00 left with slight astigmatism in the left. £2150 for the Wavefront or £1450 or normal laser.

I'm saving £750 off what they qted as I'm opting for the mechanical flap rather than the laser (£600 cheaper) & a friend's daughter who had it done is saving me £150 under the referral scheme.

Haven't signed the finance agreement yet, they should have got back to me by now, but they've had my £400 deposit for weeks & I'm going to try some last minute haggling later today when I go down there to sort the finance.

Soldato
The computer adjusts for it. Another thing to be worried about I guess, the fact that the person pressing a button to burn through part of your eye is nothing more than someone trained how to set up a rather simple computer program. Would you want that if something does go wrong?

Thanks, thats another reason to add to my list of things putting me off! :p

Caporegime
Thanks, thats another reason to add to my list of things putting me off! :p
I'm not really trying to put you off, I'm just trying to make people aware of the implications :). If something goes wrong, would you be comfortable knowing that the person in the room has no knowledge of what to do, other than ring around opticians nearby to see who's able to take an emergency, or failing that send you to hospital?

My other half is an optometrist, and obviously she only sees the cases where laser eye surgery goes wrong, and it's not pleasant. At the end of the day its a surgical procedure, and like any other it carries inherent risks. On a daily basis the procedure is getting better, as is the technology, but for me it's a cosmetic one and as such I'd never risk being in that very low percentage of people who have something go wrong. You cannot (yet!) replace your eyes.

Soldato
I keep reading these threads and it keeps tempting me to get it done! I've been meaning to look into it properly for a while though. I'm about -6.5 in both eyes and I'd really like to not have to wear glasses, just to be able to get up in the mornings and see things first thing would be nice!

I need to get an eye check up soon anyway as I haven't had one for two years and new lenses will probably set me back a few hundred anyway!
have you considered extended wear lenses?

Man of Honour
see 3k is a respectable figure but

"From £350 per eye! and 0% interest free credit" sounds like a market stall back ally style affair :o

Well it just depends on what you go for - the way I see it (no pun intended), these are your eyes, you want to do the best for them!

But you'll have to wear them again.

I might have to in my 50s yes - but most people may have to wear reading glasses when they get old. If it buys me another 15years of glasses free vision, then I'd say it's an investment worth spending personally as I'd be spending more or at least the same on vision anyway.

Soldato
OP
Awesome, although the way you've described it seems a bit scary!

I went to Optical Express & Accuvision this week for consultations. I'm -7.00 in my left eye and -6.50 in my right so quite bad. Been wearing glasses since I was 13 (I'm 22).

Optical Express quoted me £3800 and Accuvision quoted me £3500. I decided to go with Accuvision as it seemed a lot more professional and they use newer & better technology than all the other laser eye companies (except for the London Eye Surgery place).

Procedure is due to take place next Tuesday at 2.20PM. I'm quite nervous now after reading your description!.

I have a few questions though if you don't mind answering them:

1. So it only took you about a day for your eyes to stop watering so much and for that "grit" feeling to stop?

2. You said you're not allowed to wet your eyes, what happens if you accidentially get some in your eyes and how long do you have to do this for?

3. When can you start watching TV/using a computer ect?

Thanks!

I was told Optical Express use the newest technology. Version 5 of the kit and apparently no one else does.

1. Eyes stopped watering fully after about a day, the worst of it was over after 6 hours. Grittiness is still with me now although very much reduced from how it was originally.

2. It's just to stop the possibility of infection. A week.

3. I went to work the next day and work in IT.

Soldato
Cliffy, did they mention anything about your job involving long periods of time staring at a screen post-op? I'm sure I've read somewhere that the effects of the surgery will lessen if you spend long periods of time infront of a monitor.

Soldato
Very interesting. I have always been interested since a friend of mine had it done, I don't need it done. I probably wouldn't as I have a slight fear of things with my eyes which would put me off. Good news ;) enjoy seeing your new life clearer

Soldato
Thanks for sharing the experience, it's something I've considered a few times, but to be honest the pressure / cutting / burning aspects really freak me out!

I've been wearing glasses all my life and contact lenses since I was 15 so I'm so used to them that they really don't bother me. Maybe if the technology gets to a point where it's a 5 second blimp and done I will do it :p

Soldato
Congrats to OP. Had my eyes lasered over 10 years ago, and seriously, not a day goes by without me marvelling at not having to wear contact lenses and being able to see clearly long distance (was short sighted).

Soldato
Nah they priced matched optimax as I wasnt going to go with them if they were dearer. So priced matched optimax at £1480 :D

Insignificant price to pay for the gift of clear sight if you ask me.

I have been trying to get my mum to do this for ages, she has bad eye sight but refuses to wear glasses, only wears them when driving.

It's not nice as when things like showing her a clip on youtube, or a extract from a book, she often struggles and just laughs along.

ags

Back
Top Bottom