OnePlus 5T or HTC U11+

Soldato
OP
I almost caved and went in to EE shop today just to buy anything. Fed up of this 6P now. 3 times i charged it today and 3 times its almost dead.

I'm halfway through a Sim Only deal though so can't walk away from EE and get a deal elsewhere. Certainly can't get close to 20gb for £20 currently on my EE deal.

I do love the look of this U11+ still tempted but really don't want to put £600+ on my credit card.

Soldato
Cheers Stoosh. Some little updates.

It's been a while since I had the U11 but if I recall my first impression was that the screen looked a bit washed, Well I feel the same way with the plus (traits of an SLCD maybe ) . Then there's the slight ghosting when scrolling, flicking through the app drawer, for instance, nothing severe but again it's noticeable when you've been using another device. There's also some backlight bleed in the bottom corner with the 'always on display'.

No issues so far using the device, like the U11 it's as smooth as butter. I was looking forward to using edge launcher, bit like a 'pie menu' but with a side wheel launched using the edge squeeze. I found it a little disappointing though, just seems like hTC's iteration of Samsung's launcher and it could have done with some navigational shortcuts or something not just app launchers.

100% charge this morning when I left for work at 7.30am, some browsing, texts, social media and occasional youtube vid and it's down to 76% with a reported 14hours left. Should do me fine.

Soldato
OP
Not a great positive for the screen but it still sounds promising.

I asked EE today what upgrade path i could take from my current Sim Only deal. Absolutely laughable. How do they get away with it?

Samsung S8 £52.99 8gb £0 upfront 24mths or S8 £47.99 8gb £249 upfront 24mths.

So on that 2nd option if i paid £249 and £47.99 a month I'd overpay £130 for absolutely nothing compared to if I did the £52.99 a month.

Not looking at an S8 but wanted to consider what i could upgrade from the Sim only £20 for 20gb.

I think i am just going to buy a phone oj credit card and no contract apart from existing.

Soldato
I almost caved and went in to EE shop today just to buy anything. Fed up of this 6P now. 3 times i charged it today and 3 times its almost dead.

I'm halfway through a Sim Only deal though so can't walk away from EE and get a deal elsewhere. Certainly can't get close to 20gb for £20 currently on my EE deal.

I do love the look of this U11+ still tempted but really don't want to put £600+ on my credit card.

I went from the 6P to the P9 and it's everything I liked about the 6P but with a proper battery.

Soldato
It's a tough one, I really like both devices and could quite happily use any as a daily driver . Some quick/rough comparisons.

At the time it was £170 more expensive for the 64GB Pixel 2 XL .

Visually I find the U11+ a better looking phone, not too keen on the rounded bezels of the Pixel 2 XL. It's dual sim with 128GB of storage with sdcard option where as the Pixel 2 XL is only 64GB , £899 for the 128GB. I prefer the feel of the hTC device, easier to use one handed too.

Both displays have their faults, but I find them both up to the task probably preferring the Pixel's just a little bit more. Pixel 2 has a better camera apparently ( well post processing is probably a better way of putting it ) In pro mode though I don't think there would be much between them. Finding the Pixel 2 XL has better speakers but the U11+ has better sound through the headphones. ( both missing the jack ).

No real complaints over the software on either, would be good to find a decent theme for the u11+ but they both fly through menus etc.

Price aside I would probably recommend the Pixel 2 XL for the masses, if you're an HTC fan then the U11+ would keep you happy. At the moment I went with the U11+ as think I'll get a better return on the device...then again maybe not :)

Soldato
The more I use the u11+ the more I like, but seeing as my Pixel 2 XL isn't shifting unless I sell it for a hefty loss I may end up selling this one.

Also using the edge squeeze and edge launcher quite frequently which I never thought I would do.

Soldato
I seem to be late to the chat here, but I got the Oneplus 5T recently and I think it's amazing.
Unplug at 8am, use it probably what you'd call 'averagely' and then plug it back into the charger at midnight with more than 60% remaining :D

It's just ace!!!

Soldato
Well managed to offload the Pixel 2 XL so left with the U11+ and happy with that, really nice device to use. I've got the clear plastic case on mine which kind of hides the translucent back but the novelty of the see through case doesn't last long, so If you struggling with the price of the U11+ you can get a ceramic black one on fleabay for £550 odd delivered. ( via Ireland so 90% chance of no import tax )

Soldato
OP
I am having another go with Google and replacement on the 6P. It's a month out of Google purchased warranty but Huawei says it's Jan 2018 for my expiry date. I am hoping they will replace this but the guy on online chat is really not helping saying my battery drain is normal. No chance, it boots off randomly anywehre between 20 - 60% and shuts down. I have to charge it 3 times a day.

If I can't get this replaced then I will have to get the OP5T I think

Soldato
Since this thread originally started as a battery complaint, I thought I'd post my latest battery stats for my OP5T
I'd say this was average usage.

19% left after 35 hours unplugged with over 6hrs screen on time :D

We_Chat_Image_20171217204102.jpg
We_Chat_Image_20171217204052.jpg

Associate
I love the OnePlus 5T. This is my first Android phone since the Xperia S god knows how many years ago, and I've been primarily all-in on Apple for all my tech. So this is quite a change for me.

The specs are amazing for the price. £600 for 8GB RAM, 128GB storage, 2 year accidental damage cover, cases and the tempered glass screen protector is an amazing value really. I love that OnePlus doesn't bloat up their phones with a ton of crapware you can't remove. It's all very clean and the performance of OxygenOS truly is buttery smooth. I find the display is gorgeous even though it's specs are well below the latest from Samsung and Apple - it certainly compares very favourably to the iPhone 8 my wife uses.

I'm aware the camera falls quite a bit below the latest iPhones, Pixel 2 and Samsung phones in challenging conditions. But that isn't an issue for me because I don't take a lot of photos with my smartphones anyway. I accept I'm a bit of an oddity in this area though, and many other people put the camera at the top of their list of priorities.

The facial recognition stuff is insanely fast. I know it's nowhere close to as secure as what Apple is doing with the iPhone X, but it's so good on the OnePlus I've left it enabled despite the security concerns. (I figured I'd be happy with the fingerprint reader on the back, and I can now say I am not). It does suggest that Apple is on the right track dropping Touch ID in its latest flagships and pushing Face ID as the future, but I'm not paying iPhone X prices for it.

The thing that blows me away the most is how dated iOS looks side-by-side with a quality Android device today. I thought i was totally uninterested in widgets and the other Android niceties that the "fanboys" rave about. I'm not sure I could go back to iOS now unless Apple has a radical rethink about stacks of homescreen app icons and nothing else. iOS 11 really looks totally basic and boring to me now when I look at my iPhone 7 Plus beside the OnePlus 5T.

It was the price of iPhone X that finally pushed me over the edge. Tim Cook has been pushing Apple's prices higher across the line of laptops, iPads and now iPhones too. The iPhone X I wanted with AppleCare Plus would have cost £1350.00 - plus at least another £50 for an official case. And I finally said enough is enough, it's time to sample the competition. So thank you Timmy! ;)

Soldato
OP
^^^ pretty much what a guy at work said when he finally ditched iOS for Android. He got a Samsung S8 so he's still not seeing the pure android experiences but he also stated iOS was just so bland compared to what android can do.

Well I'm waiting on Huawei to see if they can repair the 6P and if no joy then it'll be a OnePlus 5T for me too.

Soldato
The facial recognition stuff is insanely fast. I know it's nowhere close to as secure as what Apple is doing with the iPhone X, but.....

Here's a question. How bothered are people REALLY about security?
I know as a species, we're impressed by big numbers, so when Apple say that only 1 in 1,000,000 attempts can fool their tech, people all go "whoooooooo".
But does Joe public really need that? As if our phones are all under constant attack from people trying to get in. All this marketing BS claiming we need NSA level security and encryption.

Although this number is NOT true, but if someone proved to me without a doubt that the face unlock on the OP5T was only secure enough to stop 499 in 500 attempts I personally wouldn't bat an eyelid, and I would continue to use it very happily.

Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom