OnePlus X

Caporegime
Works a treat on the home screen but doesn't solve it when I have an app open. Hopefully an update will provide a way to change the behaviour.

Coming from a red Nexus 5 and having a luminous green tablet and bright blue work phone, I've decided the OPX is a bit boring, so I've ordered a bright orange skin for the back :).

Associate
Speaking of red.. got a package from oneplus :cool:

1_1.jpg

1_2.jpg

Anyone ordered these?

Associate
Got a One Plus X as a back up phone, use an iPhone 6 as a daily driver, and also because I wanted a relatively cheap android phone that could give me a pretty decent android experience.

Love the phone. Love the build quality and the customisation that you can do with it.

However, there have been a few issues that I've noticed.

1) It does not pick up any music that I've put on the SD card. I tried using the music manager guide, and whilst that has uploaded the music into the cloud and made it possible to stream, it can't see the music stored on the SD card.

All mp3 format, so nothing out of the ordinary.

Done some reading up on it, and it seems to be a common issue. Anyone figured out how to fix this, or recommend a decent music player that I can use that can see the music stored.

If I browse to the location using the file manager, it can see the mp3 files, it just can't see them in the music apps (VLC and Google Play) even though I can see that they are there. But if I click on the file when in the file browse, it plays it in vlc or the google play app.

2) Car radio doesn't seem to like it plugged in via USB or via bluetooth. It just won't pair.

I think this one is pretty subjective as my iPhone pairs with it no issues. I'm not sure if my radio supports both Android and Apple, or just Apple.

3) It's so slippery without a case on it. I put it on my desk, and it litterally slid off the desk. The desk is flat, but the XL mouse mat I have means there is no friction, so the very slight (mostly undetectable vibrations that the desk picks up) are enough to cause the phone to fall off the desk. (can upload video if proof is required)

Overall experience is that it's nice, but has a little way to go with even basic functionality like playing music from an SD card.

Made sure it was in the right folder, formatted the SD card in the phone.

Other than that, I'm sure that with software releases these things will be fixed. I will try to live with it for a week, but I have a feeling that just for the sake of less hassle, I will be going back to my iPhone at the end of the week until it's been resolved with updates.

I don't know why the music app can't pick up the mp3's given that it can stream them from the music manager software.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Soldato
1 and 2 are issues with Oxygen OS itself, which has been reported on the forums many times. There was an update that was suppose to fix 1 but doesn't seem to fix it completely. 2... has existed even with the OP2, and still does.

Marshmallow will be released in Q2 2016 for the OPX and allows the SD card to merge with the internal storage, which effectively solves any SD card issues. As for syncing with the car... no idea.

Caporegime
I had all sorts of issues with Bluetooth connection to my car, and tracked it down to there being issues reading the phone book that seems to send the headunit into a spin (on some Renault's some people saw the whole headunit crash, lol). Not unique to OP, but common with their phones. I fixed it by installing Bluetooth Phonebook which has cured the issue.

Associate
1 and 2 are issues with Oxygen OS itself, which has been reported on the forums many times. There was an update that was suppose to fix 1 but doesn't seem to fix it completely. 2... has existed even with the OP2, and still does.

Marshmallow will be released in Q2 2016 for the OPX and allows the SD card to merge with the internal storage, which effectively solves any SD card issues. As for syncing with the car... no idea.

Q2 2016?! Seems like an awful long wait to get something so basic right.

I did read that there was an issue with this on the official forums. Just a shame, as most of everything else works so well.

Just a case of having to wait I guess, unless the folks over at XDA find something before hand.

I will be patient, I am going to use it for a week, and then go back to my iPhone 6.

I'm not overly fussed about the blutooth side of things, and I will do some digging regarding my particular head unit in my car to see if I can get it working.

I like a lot of the things on this phone, but to me Android seems like such a mess, the user experience is so fragmented across devices, nothing is consistent, something always seems broken, not knocking it because it's android, or because I have an iPhone, the iPhone can be quite dull, but I know its rock solid in terms of how I expect it to behave, battery woes aside.

Just observations from my experience of various devices that are android based.

I think I made the right choice as having this as a back up device, I found it quite solid, but knowing the state of the software at the moment on this device I can see myself not using it until I know it's reliable enough to replace my iPhone if anything were to happen to it.

Thanks for your insight though :)

I know that development on this phone is only really getting started, but I'm looking forward to having a mess around with it.

Mobster
Soldato
The biggest issue I have with this phone is that despite being stock Android, I have little hope of it being updated frequently. OnePlus just don't seem interested.

I find it ridiculous that I could buy a Nexus 5, a two year old phone, that would be better supported than this phone. That just shouldn't be acceptable in 2015.

Soldato
Well OnePlus aren't exactly great software developers :p. Google Android, HTC Sense, Sony UI, LG Optimus UI and even Samsung's TouchWiz I guess remains relatively bug free but they have a lot more resources and experience to polish the software. I'm tempted to move to a custom ROM on my OP2 once the fingerprint drivers are avaliable for developers. The OPX I may keep it on Oxygen for now.

There are plenty of other music apps out there, I use Poweramp personally and it has an option to maually select what folders to scan for music, but it's only a 2 week trial and costs after that, but personally I feel it's an app worth paying for.

Caporegime
I find it ridiculous that I could buy a Nexus 5, a two year old phone, that would be better supported than this phone. That just shouldn't be acceptable in 2015.

Using Google own Nexus phones as a comparison is rather skewed. Of course they will be at the front of the curve.

Try comparing to any 3rd party manufacturer and seeing how up to date their phones are. Does anyone other than Google have Marshmallow on their phones yet?

V_R

V_R

Soldato
I think Marshmallow is rolling out to the new line of Moto X's as we speak. Other than that, no not yet.

Soldato
Fantastic hardware, terrible software

Like I said a few pages back, spent the extra money and bought the N5x. Loving it.

and touch wood......I haven't even seen the dreaded play store error....or for that matter, any error :eek:

Caporegime
Fixed your wonky screen yet? :p

The 5X is not worth nearly double the money. But thats mainly because the 5X is over priced. The OPX is barely even a rival too it at that point, it should be compared to the OP2, which even as the "next model up" in the OP range, is still cheaper than the 5X!

Last edited:
Soldato
Fantastic hardware, terrible software

Like I said a few pages back, spent the extra money and bought the N5x. Loving it.

and touch wood......I haven't even seen the dreaded play store error....or for that matter, any error :eek:

Working perfectly here :cool:

I've not seen any errors at all on my OPX

Soldato
Fixed your wonky screen yet? :p

The 5X is not worth nearly double the money. But thats mainly because the 5X is over priced. The OPX is barely even a rival too it at that point, it should be compared to the OP2, which even as the "next model up" in the OP range, is still cheaper than the 5X!

I think I might need my eyes or head fixing first :D

Associate
Love to hear how the Icons sound?

I like them, they do sound quite nice. Definitely worth the price :cool:
In the box is a leather pouch and different sized ear tips:

icons_1.jpg

icons_3.jpg

icons_2.jpg

The only thing I dont like is the button for play/pause, I end up pressing all 3 buttons at once, not as good as Apple's in line control :p

Soldato
I like them, they do sound quite nice. Definitely worth the price :cool:
In the box is a leather pouch and different sized ear tips

The only thing I dont like is the button for play/pause, I end up pressing all 3 buttons at once, not as good as Apple's in line control :p
I've noticed the same issue with music playback on the OPX. Sometimes it takes a few presses and it ends up starting/stopping/starting.

Sometimes if I press my headset button it won't play, but if i wake the screen using the proximity sensor or by the power button the music starts up. Hopefully they'll spot this and fix in a future update.

Back
Top Bottom