Online coffee beans retailer

Soldato
Yea I believe so.

I have just ordered through the Hormozi website using GPay. Was going to purchase through the eBay shop but 1kg of Jamaica Blue Mountain is £150 on their eBay shop in comparison to £15.99 on the website!

Bought some of their Swiss Water Decaf too.

Caporegime
I have just ordered through the Hormozi website using GPay. Was going to purchase through the eBay shop but 1kg of Jamaica Blue Mountain is £150 on their eBay shop in comparison to £15.99 on the website!

Bought some of their Swiss Water Decaf too.

You can't get 1kg of Blue mountain for £15 anywhere...that has to be a typo.

Just checked, it's a blend. Not single origin. So it could be anything when it's a blend.

Soldato
You can't get 1kg of Blue mountain for £15 anywhere...that has to be a typo.

Just checked, it's a blend. Not single origin. So it could be anything when it's a blend.

Ah, fair enough. As you know from my other thread I'm new to all this. I don't know what is good and what isn't in the world of coffee beans.

Caporegime
Ah, fair enough. As you know from my other thread I'm new to all this. I don't know what is good and what isn't in the world of coffee beans.

When it is a blend, i mean it can still be tasty, but it can be anything. Single-origin, as the name implies means it comes from 1 farm in 1 harvest. It's a bit like wine or whisky really. Blends tend to be cheaper but it can still be very nice, and it can still be quite pricey too depending what they are using of course.

Soldato
When it is a blend, i mean it can still be tasty, but it can be anything. Single-origin, as the name implies means it comes from 1 farm in 1 harvest. It's a bit like wine or whisky really. Blends tend to be cheaper but it can still be very nice, and it can still be quite pricey too depending what they are using of course.

Ah OK I can understand that then. I do enjoy a good single malt!

I'll see what this stuff is like. I can't imagine I'll ever reach levels of enjoying coffee so much I'd pay 10x what I class as decent just to reach the next level.

Caporegime
Ah OK I can understand that then. I do enjoy a good single malt!

I'll see what this stuff is like. I can't imagine I'll ever reach levels of enjoying coffee so much I'd pay 10x what I class as decent just to reach the next level.

For what it's worth, Union Coffee (which is a blend) and sold in supermarket, which can be had for £15 for 700g bags. Which I like quite a lot and my go to beans off the shelve. They are often on sale at £11.50 too once in a while. So that scales up to about £20 for 1kg.

Last week I went to a local roaster and bought 1kg for £27.

That give you an idea what an average cost for 1kg beans cost. So when you are paying £15 for 1kg then the quality to begin with I expect to be lower. My guess is that it will be a darker, more oily roast as dark roast can mask the taste a bit. Almost used in a method to hide the beans.

Soldato
For what it's worth, Union Coffee (which is a blend) and sold in supermarket, which can be had for £15 for 700g bags. Which I like quite a lot and my go to beans off the shelve. They are often on sale at £11.50 too once in a while. So that scales up to about £20 for 1kg.

Last week I went to a local roaster and bought 1kg for £27.

That give you an idea what an average cost for 1kg beans cost. So when you are paying £15 for 1kg then the quality to begin with I expect to be lower. My guess is that it will be a darker, more oily roast as dark roast can mask the taste a bit. Almost used in a method to hide the beans.

Fair enough. After my first Rave order (with an introductory discount) I am not expecting the Hormozi beans to be any better, but I will be pleasantly surprised if so. I might try that coffee compass @Housey mentioned. I need to get it nailed down to a supplier and preferred bean though so I'm not always chopping and changing.

Ran out of Rave's Italian Job blend this morning (which was beautiful) so had to resort to my Costco Lavazza beans which I now find quite bitter and a steep drop from the Rave beans we have been enjoying. But that's with the machine settings the same, so would have to faff about with weights and grind coarseness to dial it in again. Another reason I'd like to nail down my preferred bean as it will get boring doing it over and over again.

Caporegime
Fair enough. After my first Rave order (with an introductory discount) I am not expecting the Hormozi beans to be any better, but I will be pleasantly surprised if so. I might try that coffee compass @Housey mentioned. I need to get it nailed down to a supplier and preferred bean though so I'm not always chopping and changing.

Ran out of Rave's Italian Job blend this morning (which was beautiful) so had to resort to my Costco Lavazza beans which I now find quite bitter and a steep drop from the Rave beans we have been enjoying. But that's with the machine settings the same, so would have to faff about with weights and grind coarseness to dial it in again. Another reason I'd like to nail down my preferred bean as it will get boring doing it over and over again.

Try Union Revelation sold at Sainsbury’s, £11.50 for 700g is very good value for money. I always grab a bag when it gets to £11.50. When it’s out I try something else and then go back to it.

Man of Honour
Get some cheap beans and dial the grinder in while your new beans rest.

Which grinder did you go for?
Fellow Ode as most of my coffee is filter and pour over during the day. I liked the aesthetic firstly and seems to get decent commentary. I have plenty of other beans, I just asked my friend to recommend and that is where the Coffee Compass came from.

Man of Honour
Try Union Revelation sold at Sainsbury’s, £11.50 for 700g is very good value for money. I always grab a bag when it gets to £11.50. When it’s out I try something else and then go back to it.
I find their coffee a little bland, but that might be due to my sense of taste/smell not being that special.

Back
Top Bottom