Online Forum People and Their Peculiarities

Soldato
Some people play board games, some rackets sports, but mine is picking a forum, finding a busy thread, trying hard to not look at the topic name and going straight to page two and then trying to guess how it started.

It's pretty much the same everywhere you go.

Soldato
I quite like branching comments such as on reddit.

It's not possible for attention whores to hostage screen space because a branch that sucks will get no replies if low grade or get downvoted if it's unfunny trolling. Branches with value or at least humour tend to float upwards.

Meanwhile on any traditional forum... threads hundreds of pages long that no one will ever EVER browse because there's better things to do with life than read 10,000 chronological posts with zero ability to filter by value.

Soldato
One of the most interesting "phenomena" that I always come across on many forums is internet people getting extremely ***** about threads going off on slight tangents for a bit/a couple of people discussing something kind of related but not truly "on topic".

I don't think this has ever once bothered me in the slightest, but for some people it really seems to rustle their jimmies. So much so they seem to be extremely upset by it and become desperate to bring the thread back "on topic". They won't add anything to the conversation or continue talking about anything that is within the naturally ill defined parameters of a thread on a public forum, but they will make it their absolute mission to moan about the tangent/"off topic" posts as soon as possible.

Maybe I'm the peculiar one for it not really bothering me that much, but it does seem to really incense some people.

On a scale of 1-1346, how much does it annoy you? Should the people who go a bit off topic be chastised and sent to the naughty step/never be allowed to even think about a thought that deviates from the thread title ever again, or do the moaners perhaps have some deeply seated phycological issue stemming from childhood trauma (i don't know what - probably something to do with control or something)?

*In before everyone starts talking about different things in this thread

It annoys me if people wander off topic. This is because a thread can die with the conclusion of the off topic wandering.

It's like if you ask people for a 1920x1080 monitor recommendation and the thread is derailed by a "why do you want that resolution?". The thread then spends the next ten pages discussing the ideal resolution.

In many respects, this is like a lot of political threads. They get taken over by people who write books. They constantly distract from the main topic, eventually trashing the entire thread. No, you didn't win the argument, you just bored everyone to death.

Soldato
guessing how it started Occams razor - it's adult literacy (so Rishi's fault) or maybe ADHD, not guessing -
coincidentally thread quality has deteriorated in proportion with screen space, too, maybe bigger mobiles will help.

Boris had it right that Greek education at least educates people on Ariadne's strategy

Permabanned
I think that's fair. In general, threads can go off-topic but still be part of the original conversation. But if a graphics card thread ends up with 6 pages of Brexit arguments then it just ruins it.

I hate the constant bickering between the two sides, between people who’ve decided to make the subject their entire personality. Oh, and Brexit debates are annoying too.

Caporegime
guessing how it started Occams razor - it's adult literacy (so Rishi's fault) or maybe ADHD, not guessing -
coincidentally thread quality has deteriorated in proportion with screen space, too, maybe bigger mobiles will help.

Boris had it right that Greek education at least educates people on Ariadne's strategy

What the actual **** goes on in your head :confused:

You taken your meds today?

Last edited:
Soldato
Some people play board games, some rackets sports, but mine is picking a forum, finding a busy thread, trying hard to not look at the topic name and going straight to page two and then trying to guess how it started.

It's pretty much the same everywhere you go.

You monster.

That's a bit like my old habit of recording Deal Or No Deal, skipping straight the end to find out what's in the sap's box and where the 250k is, then watching it from the start with the Power Of Knowledge.

But I digress. :D

Back
Top Bottom