Opinions on HP ProLiant ML115 G5

Associate
Replacement for a comatose ML115 G5?

Anyone got any recommendations for a replacement ML115 G5 since HP have killed it off?

I think my fault is the motherboard: When powered on, the fans spin up to 4500 RPM, and that's it. CPU temp reports as 28C, but quite often the CPU Term-trip activates, unless the cooler screws are backed off a quarter turn (long story). It was doing this for a few months but normally after a couple of attempts it would boot up normallly.

Since the Windows server licence is tied to an HP BIOS, I'm looking at HP, and don't want to risk £90 for a new mobo, with the potential for another £160-ish for a maybe-compatible new CPU, when the ML110 is about £200 brand new.

Of course, it'll mean I'll have a surplus chassis, PSU and DVD...

Associate
Hi, Do you have a link?

Thanks.

Sorry for the slow reply; I've just checked, and realised it wasn't the antec supply I got from here that went in the ML115 - I used that to replace the PSU I took from another PC to get the ML115 working.

However any sufficiency rated ATX PSU should work - even if it doesn't actually fit properly (the HP PSU is slightly smaller than an ATX one).

Associate
Bought a ML110 G6 to replace the ML115 G5. Should arrive on Thursday so with any luck I'll be able to reinstall everything by the weekend. Then I'll have a few spare parts that'll be heading over to eBay later in the month.

Associate
We have a HP ProLiant ML115 G5 Server in work, I am trying to install Windows 7 but the machine is not recognizing any of the SATA drives in BIOS I have tried 3 brand new drives and none are listing in boot.

Anyone help me out here!

Soldato
Odd, I briefly had Windows 7 on it, and it worked just fine. All the drives were there.

If they aren't recognised in the BIOS, there is your problem right there obviously, as you said. What size are the drives ?

Soldato
OK, so not 3TB or anything. Well I have 3 drives in mine, all < 500GB, and they are all there in the BIOS. I'm not sure what to suggest.

Associate
OK, so not 3TB or anything. Well I have 3 drives in mine, all < 500GB, and they are all there in the BIOS. I'm not sure what to suggest.

Fixed the problem, thanks anyways. Turned out I used another smaller WD HDD, the Seagate which I wanted the OS on was not detecting at all. Oh well its working now anyways.

Soldato
Old thread resurrection :D

My ML115-G5 is dead. I haven't used it in a long while, but it was sitting plugged in with the orange/yellow light on to indicate it was getting power. Now it is totally dead, the light is off and it doesn't power up, no fans, drives etc. No life whatsoever. I actually hardly ever used this, I bought it as a bit of a toy to play around with for Linux etc, but never really did. So despite its age it is almost a new machine.

Anyway I think it can only be the power supply - maybe there was a surge when it was sitting there plugged in. Does anyone know if it uses a standard ATX form factor power supply ? It looks like it, part number is 457694-001.

Soldato
Fitted a new £30 Coolermaster 400w PSU and the ML115-G5 sprung back to life and is running just fine. As expected the HP PSU was a custom size, so the new one is jerry-rigged in there but at least it works.

First time I've ever had a PSU failure when the machine wasn't actually running, but hey. It was plugged in for several months without being used, and failed during that time.

Associate
The 365w part was common among a few machines, I got one from a workstation last time it died, cables a little short, and one less sata power but it's the right shape!

This time I've not bothered. I also get orange light, along with functional lights out card! Just can't power it on, must be dead 12v.

Soldato
I never even got an orange light, everything was completely dead. Seems to me that the HP PSU was a pretty low quality part. The number of powered-on hours on my machine was very low.

Back
Top Bottom