Opinions on HP ProLiant ML115 G5

I do too, I never got around to buying an ML115, because of what I wanted it for I built my own in the end, I should have bought one anyway though, they were so cheap for a while.

That HP Microserver is nice, but I wouldn't call it a true replacement for the ML115, it's more like a beefed up version of the little home server box HP made/make that comes with WHS. It sure as hell isn't going to give you the same capability with VM's ...not with that little duel core Neo cpu.

Suggestions on RAID

I have one of these ML115 servers setup with Server 2008 R2. The O/S is installed on the drive it came with, and I have added a 2Tb drive which holds my film, music and tv shows. I back this drive up monthly to a USB external drive which is becoming a bit of a pain.

So I've decided to go for a RAID solution, probably using the NVidia embedded RAID or possibly software raid in Windows.

I've ordered a further 2 2Tb drives (Samsung F4s) so will have 4 x 2Tb drives in total.

What would be your suggestion on how to set these up (RAID 1, RAID 5 (3 in use and 1 spare)?

Is the NVidia reliable enough? I'm aware there seems to be issues with the HDDs not spinning down when they are setup in a RAID array, could this be sorted by using software RAID? I've also read that there may be a limit of 2Tb 'per array' using Nvidia.

Grateful for any advice.

Last edited:
Hi

The power supply in my ml115 g5 has failed and i cannot find a replacement anywhere that fits other than a original HP part which is around £160. I only paid 150 for the server.

The power supply currently fitted is 365w.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Interesting.... Mine failed a few weeks ago as well. I just got a fairly cheap antec supply from here, and used that. It doesn't quite fit (i keep the machine on its side on a shelf, so the psu can't fall out of position :o). It does work though, and a lot cheaper than a proper replacement supply, which would have cost way more than just replacing the machine.

Looking at getting some more drives for mine, will it work with 3TB HDD's? Also will WHS 2011 be compatible with them?

*EDIT* Sorry posted this in the wrong thread somehow.

Last edited:
Interesting.... Mine failed a few weeks ago as well. I just got a fairly cheap antec supply from here, and used that. It doesn't quite fit (i keep the machine on its side on a shelf, so the psu can't fall out of position :o). It does work though, and a lot cheaper than a proper replacement supply, which would have cost way more than just replacing the machine.

Hi, Do you have a link?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom