Opinions on HP ProLiant ML115 G5

Associate
Hi everyone.

The server is a HP ProLiant ML115 G5 and the specs are as follows:

SNIPPED SPEC;)

Its going to be used for running Virtual Machines for me to have a play on. The RAM is being upgraded to 4GB of ECC RAM and seemed a bargain when I pressed the order button at a touch over £260.

I also have a spare 160GB Seagate HardDrive I plan on throwing in there to run the system in RAID1.

I was wondering if anyone had one of these servers and if so, how loud are they? What are they like for stability? Could this system last me say 2-3 years? Would it be possible to replace the powersupply to something more beefy or are they like the dells?

Its going to replace the current Dell which seems to go haywire when more 2 people VPN into it and the network card has a habit of randomly dropping the connection.

Finally no this is not for a business but my playbox :o

That server is on HP top value this month and can now be had for just over £110 inc VAT now :eek:. We have sold loads at work to people who work there for fiddling about on, brill spec for the money. So any one else wanting one i'd suggest getting one, the raid 5 onboard its fine for a small SOHO server

Phil

Associate
Im just looking at the ML110 G5 for £183 + VAT, does anyone know if the Xeon in there can be upgraded, also if this lot will work?

ML110 G5
HP Smart Array E200
HP BBWC Enabler - Memory - 128 MB - DDR
4x CAVIAR RE2 320GB SATA2
4x Kingston 2gb Ddr2 800mhz/pc2-6400 Ecc Memory

Also if I buy an Intel Nic, can anyone tell me if it will fit a full height card or will I need low profile?

Thanks

Soldato
Im just looking at the ML110 G5 for £183 + VAT, does anyone know if the Xeon in there can be upgraded, also if this lot will work?

ML110 G5
HP Smart Array E200
HP BBWC Enabler - Memory - 128 MB - DDR
4x CAVIAR RE2 320GB SATA2
4x Kingston 2gb Ddr2 800mhz/pc2-6400 Ecc Memory

Also if I buy an Intel Nic, can anyone tell me if it will fit a full height card or will I need low profile?

Thanks

Yes it can, given that you can buy a load of different specs for the server. Its also got a pretty heft cooler in there already. Memory is fine, its a full height card.

Are you looking to do something special with the raid?

Steve

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
You've miss understood what I mean, regardless of which of the 4 sticks I use and which slot it will not post with 4 slots populated. Eg slot 1-3 populated, posts, slots 1,2,4 posts, slot 1-4 populated won't. Stick 1,2,3 use posts, 1,2,4 posts, 2,3,4 posts etc etc

It looks like to use 8GB of none ECC is a none starter. So returning the memory and getting ECC stuff as it cost me about 15 more.

I've got 8gb of Non ECC OCZ(see sig) in mine running fine with ESX 3.5 installed

Last edited:
Soldato
Quote from SBS2008 FAQ (full release 12th November 2008)

A smooth migration to new software/hardware is what’s most important for small businesses. Our research shows small businesses purchase new hardware with software infrastructure upgrades. Therefore Microsoft has focused on providing guidance, wizards and automation for fast, easy migration to Windows Small Business Server 2008 on new hardware. More information will be provided in the future.

Back
Top Bottom