Opinions on new watch...

Soldato
Waka said:
IMG_5288_800.jpg

W.
How did you fit that aeroplane engine into your watch?!

Soldato
Stunning watch mate. Really beautiful. My dad has a breitling about 3 years old that looks similar to yours, but with a black face and no chronograph.

I love his watch and would love one when im older, but my rents got my a gorgeous TAG automatic for my 21st this summer, so im a happy bunny :D

Soldato
OP
Im now in the market for another Breitling watch, and im totally gutted about it... ive only had the Hercules for 5 days and for the last 4 hours it has been acting up... I have been monitoring it all week to see how good timekeeper it is, based on the -4/+6 seconds per day guarentee... and in all fairness it hasnt lost or gained a single second all week. Until tonight, its been gaining 3 seconds every MINUTE for the last few hours... Ive spoken to the shop and they have told me to take it back and they will send it off to Breitling for repair/service, but, tbh, thats not good enough, ive not dropped, knocked or abused it in anyway and its let me down, so its going back for a full refund...

Is this a common thing with mechanical watches or have I just been extremely unlucky?

Caporegime
Don't really know why people pay 2 grand for something you'll look at maybe a handfull of times a day. :confused:

Looks heavy and sturdy enough to double as a knuckle duster as well. :p

Caporegime
Gerard said:
Don't really know why people pay 2 grand for something you'll look at maybe a handfull of times a day. :confused:

Looks heavy and sturdy enough to double as a knuckle duster as well. :p

do you understand why people wear different clothes to others?
do you understand why people drive different cars from others?
do you understand why people decorate their houses differently compared to other?

Don
Gerard said:

some folks just love the feel of a quality engineered watch, you also have to remember that, to some people, 2 grand is not a lot of money

Associate
DreederOcUK said:
Im now in the market for another Breitling watch, and im totally gutted about it... ive only had the Hercules for 5 days and for the last 4 hours it has been acting up... I have been monitoring it all week to see how good timekeeper it is, based on the -4/+6 seconds per day guarentee... and in all fairness it hasnt lost or gained a single second all week. Until tonight, its been gaining 3 seconds every MINUTE for the last few hours... Ive spoken to the shop and they have told me to take it back and they will send it off to Breitling for repair/service, but, tbh, thats not good enough, ive not dropped, knocked or abused it in anyway and its let me down, so its going back for a full refund...

Is this a common thing with mechanical watches or have I just been extremely unlucky?

I assume that you have tried winding it? It's possible for a watch to run fast when it's almost run down. Unlikely to keep going for 4 hours, though.
If it's ticking strongly (good balance amplitude), it's probably a sticking hairspring.

Like any mechanical item, a watch can break. It's pretty rare these days, as nearly all mechanical watches are built to very high standards. I've only had one watch break on me - a Poljot with an ETA movement. The barrel arbour sheared, so I fitted a new movement (£30).

Don
someone else on here bought a Breitling recently and his did the same, obviously he got it swapped but it sounds rather worrying :eek:

Associate
Very nice, big chunk of metal!

Watching this amerian show to pass 5mins and this guy won a "designer" watch, had god knows how many diamonds on it, but what got me was this 3 grand watch had a rubber strap! :confused:

Sweet, gonna look at some more Breitlings now.

Associate
divine_madness said:
Quick query, what are people comparing to when measuring to see whether a watch is keeping within -4/+6 seconds? I'm guessing it's not the kitchen wall clock :p

Radio-controlled alarm clock, or time signal via BBC FM radio.

Back
Top Bottom