Associate
Hello there forum dwellers!

I am looking for opinions / ratings on my build that is currently in progress. Any recommendations / changes / improvements are welcome! :)

This build will be a combination of a high-spec gaming PC and a music production workstation.

CASE: Fractal Design Meshify 2 RGB*
MOTHERBOARD:
ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-E Gaming WiFi*
CPU:
Intel i9-14900K*
CPU COOLER:
Fractal Design Lumen S36 V2*
MEMORY:
G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64GB (2x32GB) 6400MT/s CL32*
GPU:
ASUS ROG STRIX GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4090 - This can be subject to change for another brand if necessary (I want to keep it as a 4090 though)
STORAGE: 1x Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 SSD (OS drive) 3x Samsung 990 Pro 4TB M.2 SSDs (General storage drives) - These M.2 drives can be subject to change for other brands if necessary. (I will also be looking to possibly install 2.5” SSDs in the future as well for further storage, so any brands or recommendations are welcome)
PSU: SeaSonic PRIME TX 1600W 80+ Titanium ATX 3.0 - I understand that this PSU is completely overkill but I want to future proof myself just in case. As like other items in this list, this can be subject to change and any recommendations are welcome.

- Denotes items that are already purchased so cannot be changed at this time (however recommendations can be suggested for possible future builds!)

Thank you for taking the time to read and I look forward to your opinions / ratings / suggestions / recommendations!

:)

Soldato
I'd have concerns with buying high end Intel at the moment given some of the problems, especially if my job was reliant on things working.

Chances are you'll be fine though, and while you've almost definitely overspent in some areas unnecessarily it's a powerful high end system.

It would help to know how much each part set you back in order for us to properly gauge, however.

Associate
OP
Are they still in the return window?
Unfortunately not, hence why the parts marked with an * cannot be changed now. However, I am curious as to what you believe should be returned/changed so I can make a note for a potential future build! :)

I'd have concerns with buying high end Intel at the moment given some of the problems, especially if my job was reliant on things working.

Chances are you'll be fine though, and while you've almost definitely overspent in some areas unnecessarily it's a powerful high end system.

It would help to know how much each part set you back in order for us to properly gauge, however.
Luckily my job isn’t reliant on my computer. This build is purely just to upgrade from the complete potato I have currently to allow me to do the things I want to do :p

Curious to know where has been overspent and what would be suitable replacements!

I’m a little bit apprehensive about sharing the prices of each of the parts as not all of them were sourced here from OcUK so I’m not sure if I would be allowed to share that information.

Man of Honour
However, I am curious as to what you believe should be returned/changed so I can make a note for a potential future build! :)
The CPU, either to 12th gen, or switch platforms to AMD Zen 4/Zen 5:

so I’m not sure if I would be allowed to share that information.
Prices you purchased them at for the purposes of doing a re-spec are fine, just not the names of the competitors.

Associate
not only the above but intel platform is dead and about to be replaced at the end of the year with new cpu/mobo's, so you'll never be in a position to upgrade your pc in a few years by dropping a better cpu in...you're already at the top of current gen intel cpu's.
AM5 platform has been out for 2 years nowq and the best gaming cpu is the 7800x3d, with just pips the intel14900k for gaming, while doing so using a lot less power and costs a lot less too...not only that but the new cpu's are launching in 2 weeks time, so the non x3d cpu's s/b close to the x3d for gaming while being much improved for non gaming applications, such as your music production...on top of that, AMD has said the platform will be supported into 2027+, and the next cpu launch zen 6, after the 9000 series zen 5 launching in 2 weeks, will also be launching on AM5...so really in a couple years you'll still be able to get the newest cpu and drop it into your current mobo and away you go

that being said, i can't believe every cpu intel is producing is failing otherwise they'd have so many 'class action' lawsuits against them, it'd bury the company...you have what you have now and it's a powerful cpu if working correctly. Nothing you can do to change it so just enjoy it. I'd only suggest maybe using one of the new bios setting that limits the power a bit on the cpu, just to be on the safer side.
I'm in the same boat at work. getting a new pc in the next couple weeks with a 14700k in it. Be intersting to see how it performs, but then i wont be doing any gaming on it, so homepully wont be pushed too much

Back
Top Bottom