Opinions on Samsung's 2021 Neo QLED's or other QLED's

Soldato
Yeah, I am doing, just been to Curry's to check out QLED V OLED - yep there's no doubt it is better, more than I expected, watched a football game and Dr Strange die by side, spoke to LG rep at length about burn in (yes bound to be biased), but assuming I'm convinced...ideally looking at 50" could do either 48" or 55" at a push (it's not going to be wall hung but in a corner) - so many options...would prefer HDMI 2.1 ideally.
If your considering OLED, get the 55G1 with some legs as LG Cover burn in on there EVO panel TVs, otherwise the C1 is a good set, if you go LCD Sonys X95J is a good choice

Associate
I've been eyeing up the Samsung 94A after spending a long time looking for something very similar to yourself. I too also would like OLED, but the reality is i watch content with static images, this includes PC use and gaming. Having to worry, or mess about with potential warranty claims with extended burn-in cover isn't favourable.

All the higher end TVs around ~£1k at 50" will get you HDMI 2.1 it seems, but take into account that you might not need more than 1x 2.1 port during your TV's life. This is why i ruled out the flagship Samsung 95A because that's the one that comes with 4x, and the others only come with 1x. The VRR for gaming may be a concern for you, which is where the Sony's may not be favourable, they don't have it still, and people have been waiting a long time it seems with previous models still not getting the support. In regards to reflections, the LG C1 OLED is supposed to be great with reflections, but then it suffers by being darker in a lighter room than the QLEDs, they score near the same on rtings. Rtings also give a favourable results with out of the box colour for the higher end Samsungs.

This is a nice video, and shows very positives for the Samsung 94A. Whilst the 95A is actually the tested model, there isn't much between them so it's more of a guidance to how the flagships of differing technologies can compete.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCSAdW3Wejk

I had considered having 2x TVs, but that's not ideal for many reasons. Also buying cheaper now, then grabbing another equal model cheaply at a later date, but again it's not ideal.

Realistic alternatives are the Sony X90J, but it lacks VRR, but is cheaper. But there may be cashback deals about to save a few quid.
The Panasonic JX940B, again cheaper than the Samsung, however it's not a full array backlit screen, and it's an IPS panel. So, and this is a big may, may be better for gaming, sometimes. Reviews for this are non-existent.
The LG "miniLEDs" (nano) aren't worth looking at from what i can tell.

Hope that helps. However let's be realistic, which i can't get through my head still, whatever we buy at the £1k mark will be stunning after using old tech.

In regards to the above post, the X95J is literally the cost of a C1 and X90J combined. This is where my dual TV thoughts came into it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I've been eyeing up the Samsung 94A after spending a long time looking for something very similar to yourself. I too also would like OLED, but the reality is i watch content with static images, this includes PC use and gaming. Having to worry, or mess about with potential warranty claims with extended burn-in cover isn't favourable.

All the higher end TVs around ~£1k at 50" will get you HDMI 2.1 it seems, but take into account that you might not need more than 1x 2.1 port during your TV's life. This is why i ruled out the flagship Samsung 95A because that's the one that comes with 4x, and the others only come with 1x. The VRR for gaming may be a concern for you, which is where the Sony's may not be favourable, they don't have it still, and people have been waiting a long time it seems with previous models still not getting the support. In regards to reflections, the LG C1 OLED is supposed to be great with reflections, but then it suffers by being darker in a lighter room than the QLEDs, they score near the same on rtings. Rtings also give a favourable results with out of the box colour for the higher end Samsungs.

This is a nice video, and shows very positives for the Samsung 94A. Whilst the 95A is actually the tested model, there isn't much between them so it's more of a guidance to how the flagships of differing technologies can compete.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCSAdW3Wejk

I had considered having 2x TVs, but that's not ideal for many reasons. Also buying cheaper now, then grabbing another equal model cheaply at a later date, but again it's not ideal.

Realistic alternatives are the J, but it lacks VRR, but is cheaper. But there may be cashback deals about to save a few quid.
The Panasonic JX940B, again cheaper than the Samsung, however it's not a full array backlit screen, and it's an IPS panel. So, and this is a big may, may be better for gaming, sometimes. Reviews for this are non-existent.
The LG "miniLEDs" (nano) aren't worth looking at from what i can tell.

Hope that helps. However let's be realistic, which i can't get through my head still, whatever we buy at the £1k mark will be stunning after using old tech.

In regards to the above post, the X95J is literally the cost of a C1 and X90J combined. This is where my dual TV thoughts came into it.

Yeah Samsung 94A 50 ", it does tick every box, barring being OLED, 55" i've decided s too big for the corner space I have allocated for it, on a oak cabinet, so footprint is an issue depth is fine, but I have 100com to play with width, so it's 48 or 50, I'm going back and forth at the minute and as you say the reality is QLED/OLD is going to be massive step up.

These are the two options i've cancelled.ordered so far...

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/philips-48oled806-48-inch-oled-tv - not sure about the Amblight thing though...(cancelled earlier this week)

https://www.richersounds.com/samsung-qe50qn94a.html - ordered delivered Friday still still to cancel

and third option

https://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-oled48c14lb

Soldato
Yeah Samsung 94A 50 ", it does tick every box, barring being OLED, 55" i've decided s too big for the corner space I have allocated for it, on a oak cabinet, so footprint is an issue depth is fine, but I have 100com to play with width, so it's 48 or 50, I'm going back and forth at the minute and as you say the reality is QLED/OLD is going to be massive step up.

These are the two options i've cancelled.ordered so far...

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/philips-48oled806-48-inch-oled-tv - not sure about the Amblight thing though...(cancelled earlier this week)

https://www.richersounds.com/samsung-qe50qn94a.html - ordered delivered Friday still still to cancel

and third option

https://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-oled48c14lb
If your gaming the C1 is a no brainier if you go OLED, the sammy QN94 is also a very good shout

Soldato
Yeah, I am doing, just been to Curry's to check out QLED V OLED - yep there's no doubt it is better, more than I expected, watched a football game and Dr Strange die by side, spoke to LG rep at length about burn in (yes bound to be biased), but assuming I'm convinced...ideally looking at 50" could do either 48" or 55" at a push (it's not going to be wall hung but in a corner) - so many options...would prefer HDMI 2.1 ideally.

hahahaha this is class, What a turnaround!!

I meant to reply to your post yesterday. I was going to ask did you ever go anywhere and actually compare them side by side? Because you seemed to think that a person would have to be a picture quality purist to see the difference. OLED's are just nicer to watch and they are definitely better for Sport. I was also going to advice that you don't go compare them because you would probably want to get an OLED if you did. :)

As I was trying to tell you yesterday, the Burn-in issue is over blown. You don't have to baby sit TV. There are only two situations where you might have to be more careful and that's if you use it for gaming or as a PC monitor only. If you are using it for mix of things then the TV will be fine.

Check out the LG CX OLED thread in the Monitor section of this forum. That should help you with your fears about burn-in.

Looking at the various TV's you are deciding between. It's a no brainer. Get the LG C1. It's a fantastic TV. And if you are going to be doing some console gaming, then I would doubly recommend it. Gaming on an OLED TV is just amazing.

Soldato
OP
After much deliberation and by a whisker from the QN94A, I have ordered LG C1 55".

Good price too £1069.00 from Richer Sounds, it literally took £109 off as I checked out, I was kicking myself as I had actually just missed the "WINTER70" discount code offer, but eventually ended up with a better deal.

Arriving tommorow.

:)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
hahahaha this is class, What a turnaround!!

I meant to reply to your post yesterday. I was going to ask did you ever go anywhere and actually compare them side by side? Because you seemed to think that a person would have to be a picture quality purist to see the difference. OLED's are just nicer to watch and they are definitely better for Sport. I was also going to advice that you don't go compare them because you would probably want to get an OLED if you did. :)

As I was trying to tell you yesterday, the Burn-in issue is over blown. You don't have to baby sit TV. There are only two situations where you might have to be more careful and that's if you use it for gaming or as a PC monitor only. If you are using it for mix of things then the TV will be fine.

Check out the LG CX OLED thread in the Monitor section of this forum. That should help you with your fears about burn-in.

Looking at the various TV's you are deciding between. It's a no brainer. Get the LG C1. It's a fantastic TV. And if you are going to be doing some console gaming, then I would doubly recommend it. Gaming on an OLED TV is just amazing.

I did enter this with an open mind, I did do a lot of research, I did listen to different opinions, I do see the advantages of either TV/technology and in the end I decided with the content I watch,, plus I'm not buying a soundbar, where the C1 wins, plus the deal I got vs the Q94A at the time, the CI had the better overall feature set, and in the end OLED is the tech that will win out, it seems Samsung is moving towards OLED by stealth, so I bought the C1. I also know I wouldn't have regretted buying the QLED.

I also knew if went hard on burn-in I would trigger the OLED community, so I wouldn't end up with a QLED echo chamber...

;)

Soldato
I did enter this with an open mind, I did do a lot of research, I did listen to different opinions, I do see the advantages of either TV/technology and in the end I decided with the content I watch,, plus I'm not buying a soundbar, where the C1 wins, plus the deal I got vs the Q94A at the time, the CI had the better overall feature set, and in the end OLED is the tech that will win out, it seems Samsung is moving towards OLED by stealth, so I bought the C1. I also know I wouldn't have regretted buying the QLED.

I also knew if went hard on burn-in I would trigger the OLED community, so I wouldn't end up with a QLED echo chamber...

;)

LOL, you had no intention of buying an OLED, you had spent too much time listening to OLED Naysayers. However, You just didn't realise how much better an OLED was until you went and compared them side by side.

Don't give me any of that rubbish about a better deal either, I know you are just trying to save face ;) There was no way you were going to buy the Samsung after seeing them both side by side. Don't worry though you are not alone.

Will you be gaming on the TV at all? I will recommend you do not, as you will find it very hard to go back to any other screen at all for gaming. MY 6900XT failed about a week ago and I am in the long process of getting it RMA'ed. I bought a Xbox Series X to keep me going while waiting for RMA to come back. Hooked it up to my CX OLED and I was blown away by good everything looks. Games look far better than they ever did on my PC. Such much so, that I am starting to save up and whenever the next generation of OLEDs come out, I will buy one as my computer monitor.

The C1 is an awesome TV. Wait until you see some Disney +Imax stuff on it. Looks so good.

Soldato
LOL, you had no intention of buying an OLED, you had spent too much time listening to OLED Naysayers. However, You just didn't realise how much better an OLED was until you went and compared them side by side.

Don't give me any of that rubbish about a better deal either, I know you are just trying to save face ;) There was no way you were going to buy the Samsung after seeing them both side by side. Don't worry though you are not alone.

Will you be gaming on the TV at all? I will recommend you do not, as you will find it very hard to go back to any other screen at all for gaming. MY 6900XT failed about a week ago and I am in the long process of getting it RMA'ed. I bought a Xbox Series X to keep me going while waiting for RMA to come back. Hooked it up to my CX OLED and I was blown away by good everything looks. Games look far better than they ever did on my PC. Such much so, that I am starting to save up and whenever the next generation of OLEDs come out, I will buy one as my computer monitor.

The C1 is an awesome TV. Wait until you see some Disney +Imax stuff on it. Looks so good.
Mate leave the lad alone yes OLED is better and once side by side with a LCD everyone will see that, but burn in is still a possibility on OLED if you do nothing but game and don’t vary your content, so it’s understandable that he was worried and you wouldn’t want to spend a lot of money on something that could be ruined if you don’t treat it correctly, also nobody wants to have to babysit a TV . I have owned an OLED since 2015 and never had burn in I also have a 48C1 as my monitor for my PC, but don’t ridicule someone for being worried that they may break something that costs a lot of money.

Soldato
Mate leave the lad alone yes OLED is better and once side by side with a LCD everyone will see that, but burn in is still a possibility on OLED if you do nothing but game and don’t vary your content, so it’s understandable that he was worried and you wouldn’t want to spend a lot of money on something that could be ruined if you don’t treat it correctly, also nobody wants to have to babysit a TV . I have owned an OLED since 2015 and never had burn in I also have a 48C1 as my monitor for my PC, but don’t ridicule someone for being worried that they may break something that costs a lot of money.

You know what "Mate" you can go jump. Or better yet, go somewhere and learn how to have some fun. It just some banter between me and him.

He's been poking fun at me all this thread and I am poking fine right back at him. There is nothing serious in it.

Man of Honour

the issue is overblown

you don’t have to baby sit tv

you might have to be more careful

Amazing. Just amazing.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

LOL!!!

I had no intention of buying an OLED and yet I bought one?

:cry:

Update: I'm sending it back, it's just too big! I didn't like the stand either, weighed an absolute ton, and just barely fit on the unit.

:D

Soldato
Update: I'm sending it back, it's just too big! I didn't like the stand either, weighed an absolute ton, and just barely fit on the unit.

:D

Wait, you bought the 55 inch after saying that the max size that would fit is 50 inch?? Why on earth would you do that?

As for the size and weight. The Samsung and LG TV's that you are comparing are about the same size and weight. The LG stand is wider though.

Maybe it's time to invest in a new stand and watch some 55inch TV's :p

Associate
having seen both the q95a and C1, it really depends on what kind of picture you like. Some like the overly bright picture of the samsung (my mrs does) but Oleds in general tend to have a better contrast due to better blacks (which i prefer). Its a matter of opinion. I would say purists tend to go for oled.

Soldato
I have an LG B6 with burn in so bad that I am sending it back to LG for a new panel at a cost of £200. I'm thinking of a bigger 65" TV and can get a QN95A for £1300 (including cashback). The burn in issue has really put me off OLED for the time being but as I mostly game and watch 4K content I'm undecided on the C1 (and spending an extra £400, which can go towards a PS5 or XB1X) or QN95A.

Back
Top Bottom