Associate
OP
Thank you all for you help, tbh I'm even more confused now. I basically want to build a PC that will last and I don't really have to do much to, as long as it streams well.

Associate
A Pc system that will last eh,

The only thing i will say is, is that amd will be supporting AM4 socket until 2020 so you can upgrade your processor at 2020 if you want, whereas intel only gives you dead motherboard sockets.

We can all agree that AMD is more future proof at the least thanks to their motherboard support.

So i recommend AMD/AM4 to you.

Those extra cores AMD give's you should work well with streaming In my opinion.

You should get a 2700 or 2700x processor.

If not then 2600x will suffice at the minimum.

As i have said intel is the performance/gaming king and amd is the value bang for buck king, well it is by a bit or quite a bit varying that is.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok, thanks. I unfortunately can't afford the 2700 at the moment so am going to have to stick to 2600x. The only thing I'm concerned about now is the RAM and Motherboard not being good enough!

Associate
I see yeah well we can all get you sorted on that for sure mate,

I am no motherboard expert but i went with this > https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ocket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-56x-gi.html this motherboard is decent but costs quite a bit but no VRM problems when you want to overclock.

As for the ram just buy this and don't look back > https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...ual-channel-kit-black-my-08l-tg.html#comments your ryzen system will love you for this ram, this ram is the best i can find, very nice timings and i think 8pack him self swears by his ram?

Either way this ram is the best i know that is all so you should consider this ram for sure, now the next thing is getting a decent motherboard then.

And yea 8 pack ram is the samsung b die as has been said before, just keep it simple is all i have to say and try not to be confused once you get the oil of understanding so to speak you will know it is straight forward and not rocket science exactly.

Ryzen loves fast ram and lower the timing the better as well as Mhz frequency speed so go with 3200mhz ram at least that is.

Ram should be sorted because if your passionate on getting the best then the samsung b die cl14/8 pack ram definitely should be on your shopping list.

Anyways @8 Pack he is one of the best overclocker's in the world so he knows his stuff.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thank you all for you help, tbh I'm even more confused now. I basically want to build a PC that will last and I don't really have to do much to, as long as it streams well.

Yeah, it is confusing and there are always priorities to balance.

When you say you want it to last, how long are you thinking of? And when you say you don't want to do much to it, does that mean not fiddling with settings, or not changing hardware? Would you be adverse to upgrading CPU in a year or two? Fitting an after market cooler later on?

Some considerations:
RAM - Ryzen does benefit from faster RAM, and the actual benefits vary from task to task, but have diminishing returns after 3000-3200MHz. Samsung b-die works the best on Ryzen and is the most likely to run at stated speeds selecting the standard profile with no problems. Some people have had trouble with Hynix RAM, but it seems perfectly reasonable to expect to run a Hynix kit at decent enough speeds as well, as others have pointed out.

I may have overstated the need for b-die, so I'm sorry if that was confusing. I wouldn't have have bought anything else, but of course that doesn't mean no one else would. :o

If you're shopping around this is something I'd look at when comparing RAM kits, but you'll need to balance it against budget as well. If you get a Hynix kit running at 2933/3000, there will be minimal difference to a kit running at 3200MHz. If you're definitely not interested in overclocking it's even less of a concern. I haven't overclocked my RAM yet, but I definitely want to see at some point if I can get it to 3400-3600MHz or thereabouts. That would be a nice boost, but it you're just leaving everything at stock, there will be less difference.

Case - yes, it is true that the case doesn't really affect performance. Again, though, you need to balance things. Do you think you might want to fit another cooler sometime and try to get better performance? If you're sure you won't and you're not bothered about aesthetics, then no worries. But if you think you might, then it's worth checking what can fit and thinking about airflow. Also consider how bothered you are about noise and check reviews of cases for noise levels.

Oh, double check what length graphics cards will fit as well before buying!

Motherboard - if you're sure you're only going to go with stock settings and you won't upgrade your CPU, then the one you originally linked will be okay.

You'll be more likely to get the most out of future CPUs with a better board, but if you're not into swapping out your CPU anyway and you're definitely not ever going to overclock then it's probably not worth the money.

So maybe I was protecting my own concerns when building a bit. :)

I always think about what I may want to do in the future with a build and spec accordingly.

Will a 2600x with the other cheaper kit last six or seven years for high end gaming and streaming? Maybe. Hard to say, but it's possible. Would a slightly more expensive system last that long if you were to upgrade the CPU, install better cooling at some point, perhaps decide to overclock in the future? Again, hard to say but more likely I'd imagine.

It seems your budget isn't that flexible, though, so I guess you cut your cloth accordingly.

Associate
OP
Sorry for the late reply... I ideally want it to last 5+ years without changing any settings. I am happy to change some hardware in a couple of years time if I have made a profit from streaming. I am not interested in overclocking.

RAM wise, I currently can't afford the Group Dark Pro RAM that was recommended. Out of these which on do you think will work best?
1) G.Skill Trident Z DDR4
2) ADATA AX4 U300038G16 DRZ Z1 DDR4 MHz
3) Team T-Force Vulcan 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000MHz DDR4
4) Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance

I am hoping that I will be able to save some extra money on Amazon Prime day. For the motherboard I'm thinking of sticking with this:MSI X470 GAMING PLUS AM4 AMD X470

I think I'm going to get the case that you recommended as well:
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Midi Tower Case

This may be a stupid question but does the PSU come with a UK power cord?

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry for the late reply... I ideally want it to last 5+ years without changing any settings. I am happy to change some hardware in a couple of years time if I have made a profit from streaming. I am not interested in overclocking.

RAM wise, I currently can't afford the Group Dark Pro RAM that was recommended. Out of these which on do you think will work best?

This may be a stupid question but does the PSU come with a UK power cord?

Oh, you'll need to remove all of those competitor links asap!

You know, I think I may have been a bit swayed by a few horror stories with Hynix RAM. I have some in my lad's build, and when I tried the DOCP settings, it just worked at 3000C16 with no problems! So I'm a convert to the points some other people made that the need for Samsung b-die is an ideal aspiration but by no means necessary.

And yes, PSUs do come with a power cord.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks, I'll remove them now! Out of the RAM's that I have selected which one would you pick? Overall do you think this will be a decent build for streaming?

Soldato
It's this Team Group RAM my son has, but in the 2x4GB verision:
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £158.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

It's about the same price as the other stuff you've linked, and in my experience it's worked just fine so I'm very happy with it.

I don't really know the MSI board you linked, but I'd imagine it will be okay. A lot of the kinks that were in the platform seem to have been ironed out now, and so long as you're not wanting to push big overclocks and the board has all the features you want it should be okay.

I know the Asus Prime X470-Pro is £159 here and I think a few forum posters have had good experiences with it. I have the Strix version, which I think it basically the same board with better VRMs. Again in my experience it's been fine. I've never owned an MSI board so I can't comment on those, really.

The Ryzen system should work well for streaming. It has plenty of threads to throw at things, and you could always drop in a 2700X or a Ryzen 2 CPU in the future if you find you want better performance down the line.

In fact, I should add, it was @Journey's comment about most Hynix RAM running at 3000C16 without problems that inspired me to go up and try my lad's PC with DOCP settings. Been like that for days now without issue and with nicely improved performance.

I had been putting off trying after reading about people having to manually input timings, and having a faff to get to decent and stable speeds. It may just be platform maturity or a better IMC in the Ryzen+ chips, but I'm glad I tried this - so thanks! :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for all your help, I'll have a look at that motherboard. It says that the one linked is 16GB not 8?

Soldato
Thanks for all your help, I'll have a look at that motherboard. It says that the one linked is 16GB not 8?

Sorry, I should have been clearer - my son has that RAM, but he only has 8GB of it, not the 16GB kit that is linked there.

But, I've just seen that this kit is on offer at the moment:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £158.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

This one has higher rated speed. They may just be the same stuff, but this one should have its XMP set to 3200C16, which should mean you can just select DOCP in the BIOS and hopefully be all set at that speed, which is pretty good.

Soldato
Hi, somebody recommended this RAM and said it is Samsung b-die, is that correct? https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...black-red-tdprd416g32-my-075-tg.html#comments

I can't find confirmation either way. I wouldn't go on one review. Some searching suggests it might be s-die, but I can't match the kit numbers.

Anyway, if you're really not interested in overclocking, both this kit and the Team Group kit I linked above should work at 3200C16, so there shouldn't be any difference. B-die will definitely clock better, but if you're at stock DOCP there shouldn't be much difference.

Associate
OP
Ok thank you, I think I'm going to go for the one you linked. Is it only sold on overclockers, not Amazon?

Associate
OP
Ok, so here is what I have now:
************ part list: https://uk.************.com/list/nyzYLJ

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus - Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Team - T-Force Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: AOC - G2460FQ 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor
Total: £1329.55

I've gone for a Samsung SSD and down to 1TB as I'm not sure I'll need 2. I can get the 650W cheaper that 550, so thought it was worth it? Also, I've gone for a slightly more expensive video card and motherboard, do you think it will make much difference?

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, that should work well! All look solid choices. I like to err slightly on the side of caution with motherboards, and it's not a huge price difference.

But those links contain competitor links, so you'll want to remove them before a mod sees them! :)

(I can't follow the second link because the forum has auto-censored a competitor name. In any case - building your own PC is all part of the experience! ;))

EDIT: okay, I've tracked it down. Not bad, but you're no going to see any benefits over your probably. You could upgrade to a 2700X for less than the difference I think?

Associate
OP
I'm just not 100% confident in building it myself and if I could get a pre-build one for the same price I would rather go for that.

Soldato
I'm just not 100% confident in building it myself and if I could get a pre-build one for the same price I would rather go for that.

Well, I can understand it being daunting, but it's not that hard and there are loads of guides on Youtube - and people on here will help out if you get stuck. Also I find it helps you get more familiar with PC components when you get used to building your own. I was terrified the first time I built my own PC (I was quite skint at the time really and couldn't afford to replace any parts if I damaged them), but now I would never even think of getting a pre-built system! :)

If you're really nervous of course you could get a pre-built system. However, you generally find you can't make one with as good quality components as you could yourself.

Taking the one you showed as an example - it would be £80 or so more expensive even if you upgraded your parts list to include a 2700X - and it doesn't include a monitor so it's comfortably over £200 difference if you factor that in.

AND it has a lower-end motherboard that won't have as many features (you'd have to check what it has versus the Prime, but it is a bit cut-down from it's Prime X470 Pro cousin) and it has slow memory (2666MHz it seems, which will be noticeably slower than 3200MHz - not a massive amount to be sure, but noticeable I'd imagine).

(BTW - those Partpicker links will also be considered by mods as competitor links if any of them actually follow them because they link directly to prices from OcUK competitors. This is a big no-no on these forums, I'm afraid, so I'd advise removing those as well!)

Back
Top Bottom