Organ donor system "presumed consent"

Soldato
Yup, yet a lot of people in this thread want just that. They want to discriminate against those who choose to opt-out if there was an opt out system.

I find that whole line of though very immature.
Personally I think it's rather selfish and can see why people think that they should have the same standing as alcoholics/drug users, who get put on the bottom of the list since they're likely to ruin their 'new' organ, just as George Best did, as they are the boy-racers of the organ world.

It's more due to who will get the most from the limited organs available rather than who deserves them. Hopefully there would be enough organs to stop having to do that if the opt-out system goes ahead.

Soldato
I'm not sure how I feel about the state effectively claiming ownership of my body after I die.
I'm not against donation and I think it should be encouraged strongly but I don't like they way they are going about it. If it was practical I would be much happier if it was compulsory that you answered the question. Yes or no. I wouldn't be surprised if most people said yes, but I dislike the presumption.

I don't have a donor card but my parents and fiancée know what I would like if anything happened.

Ditto... I'll be opting out just out of principal. This labour government is slowly taking away our right to freedom and this is just another stage....

Soldato
Ditto... I'll be opting out just out of principal. This labour government is slowly taking away our right to freedom and this is just another stage....

Well that's a rational decision.

How is it taking away your right to freedom? You're free to opt-out. Somehow wanting to save the lives of people who need organ transplants is an erosion of freedoms? This ridiculous oversensitivity towards anything the government does actually seems to show some of the root causes of the problems in britain today.

You [the british] complain about the terrible sadness that 9000 people a year are stuck on waiting lists for organ transplant and many of them die... yet your overriding selfishness prevents you from doing anything which you view as a "concession." You want to be safe in the knowledge that when your kidney fails, there'll be an organ ready for you, but you won't accept a scheme that could help to ensure that because it you're making a concession on control.

You want the problem solved by any means necessary, except those where you actually have to do something other than complain about it.

Soldato
Well that's a rational decision.

How is it taking away your right to freedom? You're free to opt-out. Somehow wanting to save the lives of people who need organ transplants is an erosion of freedoms? This ridiculous oversensitivity towards anything the government does actually seems to show some of the root causes of the problems in britain today.

Sorry, but I was going to explain it all but if you canot see how such a system is an infringement on freedom then I don't think you'll 'get it' even with much explaining. If you don't appreciate freedom you wont have respect for it and maintaining it.

Please see my post #213 for more info.

You [the british] complain about the terrible sadness that 9000 people a year are stuck on waiting lists for organ transplant and many of them die... yet your overriding selfishness prevents you from doing anything which you view as a "concession." You want to be safe in the knowledge that when your kidney fails, there'll be an organ ready for you, but you won't accept a scheme that could help to ensure that because it you're making a concession on control.

You want the problem solved by any means necessary, except those where you actually have to do something other than complain about it.

No. We, [The British] don't complain. People who require organs and doctors complain. I've never sat down and had a meal with somone who complains about how hard it is to get organs in this day and age should they have liver failure. People complain in this thread because the specific subject has been brought up.

There are a lot of schemes that can be run other than an opt out blanket.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom