Origin is awful

Associate
The main problem here seems to be peoples download speeds and faulty PC's, nowt wrong with Origin, i think it's quite good.

Just because you haven't had any issues doesn't mean everyone who does is at fault at there end. Ive had no trouble with steam/Capsule/Desura but origin is awful with slow downloads and crashes and losing download percentages. Nothing wrong with my internet or pc.

Man of Honour
The main problem here seems to be peoples download speeds and faulty PC's, nowt wrong with Origin, i think it's quite good.

Another highly useful post. :rolleyes:

If there is nothing wrong with it how come a changed .ini file fixes it? Absolutley nothing wrong with my pc or download speeds. Once the .ini was changed it downloaded quickly and without freezing. EA's forums are full of people having the same problems.

if thats the case someone is using an SSD as boot drive but didn't alter the windows temp file directories etc.

I changed mine which is easily done
ZB4oLAf.jpg

although I would agree that if there is a space issue etc then origin should be telling people and not just freezing.

unless origin has a separate option for setting the temporary file location I can't remember

always nice not to have your temp file directory on your SSD anyway as a lot of crap gets written to it

Had 64Gb spare on my SSD so it was'nt that causing the problem. I agree with you about moving the temp files though. In fact i have the temp files, my docs, pics, vids and music all on my 1TB D drive. As you say, it's easily done and takes very little time.

Soldato
Thank you for the most helpful answer in this whole thread. Did all that and it downloaded without freezing at all. No way we should have to mess around trying to fix things though i am glad it's finally downloaded.

Glad I could help! I didn't think such a simple thing would work, but I've now managed to download Sims 3 and some expansions, and now onto BF3. :)

Blazin

Associate
Hmmmm fir the past two days, on the website if i go to login. it opens the pop up window but then loads in a standard txt format and non of the links work.

and even with the application. It loads and does the same at the login window :(

Associate
Yeah thats what i mean by the application sorry.

I didnt have it installed a few days ago so i had to download it from a third party site, because again on the official site it wont let me download it, just times out.

Soldato
Yeah thats what i mean by the application sorry.

I didnt have it installed a few days ago so i had to download it from a third party site, because again on the official site it wont let me download it, just times out.

Ah yes no worries I misread that bit. I can log in fine to both the website and the application, so they are definitely both functioning.. for me anyway, although I am aware that is no guarantee that it will work for other people! This thread is proof of that.

If you click on this link, it should start downloading the application (without loading a webpage): http://www.dm.origin.com/download

Does that work for you?

What web browser are you using? Have you tried any others?

Blazin

Associate
Nope that link doesnt work for me still, thats the same one i tried before
Just times out :(

Heres what the page and the program look like for me.
origin_zps126e9039.jpg

i'm using Firefox.

Soldato
Nope that link doesnt work for me still, thats the same one i tried before
Just times out :(

Heres what the page and the program look like for me.
origin_zps126e9039.jpg

i'm using Firefox.

Just had a trawl through some forums and found quite a few people with the same problem, but I haven't seen a single working fix yet. Just the standard 'turn off your firewall etc' rubbish that EA reps spew out to everyone with a problem.

Sorry I can't be of anymore help. I found these two links that were suggested as possible fixes in another thread, although I'm dubious as to how helpful they will be:
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/8897332.page
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/8780652.page

What game(s) have you got on Origin?

Blazin

Soldato
I wonder what people would say if Valve raised 8 million for charity without taking a penny, no doubt they'd be heroes and not tax dodgers like EA apparently are. :p

Soldato
Yes many celebrities also donate to charity as a means of generating some positive publicity. I expect EA saw it as an 'easy' 8 million to generate some news articles about them, and ultimately tie in a load more consumers to using their Origin platform.

You make it out like people's negative bias of EA is unjustified. Where have you been for the past year?

Furthermore, for every game submitted to Steam's Greenlight program, the person submitting it must pay $100 which goes straight to charity.

Blazin

Soldato
Ah so Greenlight just needs to have 80,000 games pass through it to generate the same. I wouldn't say their negative bias is unjustified but it's getting a little copy and paste now don't you think? They aren't great but people take it over the top, like with them being voted above companies who commit murder and cause disasters around the globe for being the worst company, gamer angst is so drab.

Soldato
So guys how does the announcement about Origin accepting returns affect your view of Origin and EA? I'm actually quite surprised and impressed that they're giving it a go, and Valve should certainly take note...

If such a system were implemented well I could see myself being much more willing to give a game I'm not 100% sure about a go, and would more than likely end up buying more games at higher prices as a result. I've picked up plenty of games in the Steam sale before for sort of £2 or £3 and ended up thinking "Wow, this is really great, I wouldn't have been annoyed if I'd bought this a few months ago for £10"

Back
Top Bottom