Origin is awful

Associate
So I buy the humble bundle, get over to origin, enter the keys, and of course the downloads are unbelievably bad. They are either eternally 'resuming' or 'preparing' or they download for 10 minutes then stop completely.

None of the games have downloaded completely, and its not looking like they will.

I have tried a whole arsenal of fixes but nothing works whatsoever.

Not only that but upon spending 2+ hours looking online I have found numerous forums full of people like me now who have these problems - the thing is these people posted 2 years ago.

So EA have been aware of these problems for 2+ years and still nothing is done?
I am lost for words, I never realised Origin was this bad. Although I didnt spend a huge amount of money in this situation I know there must have been/are still people out there who have spent a lot of money buying some of these games through origin and experience the same problem.

Someone out there must have had a similar problem to this, surely?

Man of Honour
I've not had those sorts of problems but many others with Origin. I bought the humble bundle too but any of the Origin games will simply be unused. If I stop being lazy I'll just give away the codes.

Soldato
I'm in the same boat. Because my internet connection is stupidly slow I dont know if I will be able to download these things by the end of the month with the constant stopping and not restarting. On steam the two games i'm downloading would probably take a few days of leaving the computer to do its thing, but i cant do that because the origin downloads stop every two minutes and dont restart. All they need to do is add something to restart the download if it stops, but clearly that is far too much work for them :mad:

Soldato
Most of those humble bundle games also come with steam keys by the way :)
Some of us were cheapskates and got them from the PC game giveaway section :o

*edit*
if there is some way of downloading the game in steam once you redeem the origin code i would be very interested to hear it. I dont know what difference it will make, but currently i have mirrors edge mid download (at a pitiful 7% after an evening of downloading and not noticing the stopping) and crysis 2 maximum edition redeemed, but the download hasnt started

Last edited:
Caporegime
depending on times when origin most busy.

obviously last two days cause of indy deals have literally raped .

there is more than one way to activate the game.

i download two games in minutes. so origin just like steam tbh.

Yeah, same thing happened with DS3, I popped out the house expecting it would be done but it froze and only downloaded 20%

Ah well, can't really complain for the price, but they should fix it, considering this was their latest big push for users to use origin, besides BF3.

Soldato
That's the problem I have with Origin. Everything about it screams "that'll do".

Interface slow and clunky? Who cares... it'll do.
Downloads slow and a mess? Who cares... it'll do.
Pricing not competitive with Steam? Who cares...it'll do.

Then again, from a company whose attitude to gaming is exactly the same I can't say i'm shocked. It's a good thing that EA's Origin exclusives are all crud, so I don't have the dilemma of whether to put up with it or not.

Soldato
I've never actually had that much of an issue with it, it's never done anything particularly offensive that Steam hasn't done to me a million times before.

It is obviously being hit pretty hard by the Humble Bundle, however even so after giving it some time I managed to register and download all the games on the same night the bundle came out.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ive heard multiple EA horror stories now, worst being someone buying bf3 at launch through origin but being charged twice, then calling up asking for a refund in anger and ending up getting his account removed. => about 80 pounds out of pocket and for what? No Bf3, origin account removed.

EA is a mess. The worst thing is they wont even acknowledge it. And Tute thats spot on

Soldato
I had no problems download the games off yesterday, but today I seem to download up to 11GB and it goes back to 9GB. like 5 times now. wtf is going on?!? same with another download. in that case I will never be able to download it.

Soldato
Lot's of people buying humble bundle, and activating codes. Not really surprised it had slowed down. Get over it.

Origin is pretty crap though, I hate the adverts that have no relevance to my interests, or just it tries to sell me something all the bloody time lol.

Associate
OP
Slowed down is an understatement. Steam sale gets huge amounts of traffic - no doubt far more than origin is with the humble bundle, but steam has never let me down when it comes to downloads. If Origin seriously wanted to 'compete' with steam they would have sorted themselves out a long time ago

Soldato
Guys, i'm not complaining about the slowness. The slowness is at my end and the download is going as fast as it normally would on steam (~200KB/s). The problem I have is that it is dropping out and not restarting automatically every five minutes.

Associate
OP
Reaper Im getting that aswell, but Origin is known to be slow for downloads anyway so maybe youre lucky so to speak. That being said, after a day of nursing origin every 10 minutes, constantly restarting origin as admin hoping download would work, BF3 has just finished downloading and is installed.. there is hope

Soldato
Yep had a terrible experience with Origin laggy interface, battlefield 3 got to 95% downloaded then decided to crash hard losing all the download and the web interface for BF3 is convoluted and required me to install a browser plug-in. Not impressed and doesn't seem to have improved since it launched.

If they want to compete with Steam they really need to get their act together as this indie bundle was a really wasted opportunity for them to show off Origin as a service.

Caporegime
Because, you know, 500,000 people trying to download games through Origin won't cause a problem.....

Steam also had problems with capacity issues and slow downloads but, oh, wait, Steam is the shining beacon of download services that is always up, never has a problem and gives everyone full speed downloads 100% of the time, every time and it's hip to trash Origin, right?

Not had a problem with Origin that I also haven't had with Steam. TBH it's actually MORE stable than Steam with will lose connection on a whim withgout rhyme nor reason and come back up a while later. Origin, generally, is up and always up.

Last edited:
Soldato
Had no problems with Origin so far bar being unable to redeem codes which was understandable. None of those problems listed above are exclusive to Origin, and let's not forget Steam has about a decade on Origin, and that wasn't exactly the most well received service for a good few years.

Back
Top Bottom