ouch! silly drivers!

Associate
after coming back from a short camping trip with the mates i decide to go and see my girlfriend on the bike. about 6 mins down the road from my house i reach a roundabout where i see a car indicating right so i wait just as i am about to set off a car comes flying down the slip road so i decided to wait instead of cutting him up. all of a sudden bang im pushed forward about 6 feet and thrown off the front of the bike luckily the car coming round the roundabout swerved narrowly avoiding running me over. i jump up off the ground to find an old women in her mid 70's step out the car saying "im soo sorry i wasn't paying attention properly and thought the roundabout was clear" i exchange details and then the police arrived on scene as i was blocking the round about they could clearly see the women was to blame and advised me to ask the women to sign for liability which she did (making insurance claim a hell of a lot easier) i later went to the hospital to get checked out because i had wrist and neck pain after xrays and a lot of time wasted it turned out i just had a sprained wrist and whiplash. my bike will more than likely get written off due to the frame and swing arm being badly bent :( and my leathers and helmet are ruined :(

img02181.jpg

img02171w.jpg

Associate
Oh my god! I'm just glad you are alright!! Stories like this scare the hell out of me. Imagine if you were just in jeans and an open face helmet....

She must have been doing some speed to wedge you surely? Otherwise it would have just fell over, or atleast thats what i would have thought?!

How are you feeling now? It looked a nice ride too.. :(

Soldato
Fuarkkk! Does your insurance cover your leathers etc?

By the pictures, you look quite lucky and I'm surprised it wedged the bike like it did!

At least she signed liability so it won't be too long before your back on two wheels!

Associate
OP
yeh she had an automatic i reckon she pressed the accelerator instead of the break because she hit me pretty hard. i think the police are going to do her for careless driving. and im good thanks mate just a bit sore and gutted about my bike :/

Associate
OP
Fuarkkk! Does your insurance cover your leathers etc?

By the pictures, you look quite lucky and I'm surprised it wedged the bike like it did!

At least she signed liability so it won't be too long before your back on two wheels!

no they dont :/ and yeh hope so :) going to go and pick it up from the compound and take it to the insurance depo today (as they wont be able to pick it up till next week and i want it sorted as quickly as possible) and see how bad the damage is.

Soldato
In that case then I would get a solicitor to write to the opposing insurers to claim for the cost of leathers etc. It won't affect the drivers finances, and won't even make her premium go up (more than it already is anyway), and they'll pay solicitor fees most likely too if they agree.

Or try writing to them yourself first and see how you do?

Out of curiosity which insurer are you with?

Soldato
no they dont :/ and yeh hope so :) going to go and pick it up from the compound and take it to the insurance depo today (as they wont be able to pick it up till next week and i want it sorted as quickly as possible) and see how bad the damage is.

It doesn't matter if your insurance covers your equipment it's her insurance you will be claiming for damages from.

The only time limitations for what's covered in a crash apply is if you bin it yourself.

Associate
It doesn't matter if your insurance covers your equipment it's her insurance you will be claiming for damages from.

The only time limitations for what's covered in a crash apply is if you bin it yourself.

Yup, this. Glad to hear youre OK.

Since its her insurance youre claiming off then youre bike, leathers, helmet, etc should all be replaced. Make sure you replace it all as kit is too important to leave to chance.

Soldato
Yup, this. Glad to hear youre OK.

Since its her insurance youre claiming off then youre bike, leathers, helmet, etc should all be replaced. Make sure you replace it all as kit is too important to leave to chance.

Especially the helmet.

If he's cracked his nut on the floor then chances are, even if it looks fine the material inside will of deformed in the impact.

Its probably a scare story, I for one dont see how it happens, but the reason being you replace a helmet even in the even of just dropping it is an air gap forms between the lining and the shell, and if you get an impact in that area its likely to just punch a hole through your scull, such is the force of impact in a crash.

I however think its just do to the fact that the material inside will of deformed from the first impact and simply wont be as good as absorbing a second knock.

VoG

VoG

Soldato
That sucks, & you've only had it 3 months as well, hope the plod checked her eye sight given her advanced years.

On the plus side, given tis a rear end shunt at a roundabout & she's signed to accept liability, hopefully, it "should" be a relativley trouble free claim.

Glad your ok bud. :)

Associate
OP
That sucks, & you've only had it 3 months as well, hope the plod checked her eye sight given her advanced years.

On the plus side, given tis a rear end shunt at a roundabout & she's signed to accept liability, hopefully, it "should" be a relativley trouble free claim.

Glad your ok bud. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, you're alright is the main thing... so good luck with the insurance and make sure everything that has marks gets replaced. Also, don't mess around with Lid, if it hit the floor, replace mate. I got told if a lid falls from anything above 2 feet, replace it... why take the risk. Hope bike is ok though, but if not, time for new bits lol... possibly?

When me and my mate got back yesterday, he had some bag news... and friend of a friend had been knocked off by a truck, some bust ribs and 2 broken vertabrae... he's ok though and will make full recovery... but does make you think... he'd gone out with a mate like myself for a nice sunday run and allegidly a safe rider and got hit... you kinda get home and count your lucky stars some days.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well, you're alright is the main thing... so good luck with the insurance and make sure everything that has marks gets replaced. Also, don't mess around with Lid, if it hit the floor, replace mate. I got told if a lid falls from anything above 2 feet, replace it... why take the risk. Hope bike is ok though, but if not, time for new bits lol... possibly?

When me and my mate got back yesterday, he had some bag news... and friend of a friend had been knocked off by a truck, some bust ribs and 2 broken vertabrae... he's ok though and will make full recovery... but does make you think... he'd gone out with a mate like myself for a nice sunday run and allegidly a safe rider and got hit... you kinda get home and count your lucky stars some days.

Ouch sounds painful I was really lucky if I had been hit by an older car with poor crumple zones I would have most definitely been thrown into the path of the at going round the roundabout and a side swipe at 40mph wouldn't be a very good thing

Associate
Bloomin' eck, that was a close one!

I wonder how much it would cost to buy back from the insurers. If it was my bike I'd be tempted to strip it and sell the parts for spares/repairs.

Back
Top Bottom