• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Overclockers/Gigabyte GPU Repair Woes

Soldato
Gigabyte RMA has always been up there as one of the worst in the industry. It was the same 15 years ago.

I only buy EVGA now, their RMA service is nothing short of spectacular, you are updated all the way, and they offer advance RMA services.

For advanced RMA , don't you have to fork out the same amount for the card and get it back when they've collected yours?...

Hopefully with Rep presence on here they'll get to the bottom of the issue and will have a card back in your rig

Sgarrista
Commissario
For advanced RMA , don't you have to fork out the same amount for the card and get it back when they've collected yours?...

Yes, you put a collateral payment down if you want to use the advanced RMA service.

But their non advanced RMA turnaround is usually the same day, or the day after they receive your faulty card from my experience.

Soldato
Remind me not to spend that much money on a Gigabyte product if this is their service
When I sent one of my previous cards off for RMA with MSI I had it back in my hands within 7 days.

Soldato
Hi Tom. Can you give us the SN for the card?
That way we can track what happened to it in the past.
Sure the card SN is 162941040481

Tom

just to post my story, i went through 3 wind-force cards (7970) in 2 years fan issues. i got my full refund from gigabyte. so i bought 2x gigabyte 980 FE at launch.
their customer service is generally good, however their they could do with improving their QA in their Software.

i helped them find issues with their GPU software & currently helping them with UEFI quirks, but overall i wouldn't worry the rep will do what he can to help you. :) his good!

Associate
I had 1 faulty card and after a couple of weeks of harassing them I got an upgrade to a higher card but had to pay the difference. Know your rights and don't take no for an answer!
Josh.

Soldato
Although Gigabyte has been pretty bad, I'd also say OCUK has been equally as bad too.

At this point I'd be saying you give me a whole brand new card or a refund immediately. Let OCUK and GBT sort it out amongst themselves.

Soldato
Although Gigabyte has been pretty bad, I'd also say OCUK has been equally as bad too.

At this point I'd be saying you give me a whole brand new card or a refund immediately. Let OCUK and GBT sort it out amongst themselves.

There seems to be a gap in seller/consumer protection, which this experience has highlighted:

If 28 working days is considered a reasonable time for (a) the retailer and/or manufacturer to repair/replace/refund a video card (I think it is, being fair, even though as a buyer it will suck to wait) and (b) a long enough time for the buyer to wait, then (c) what happens when you wait those 28 days PLUS more days as a result of a second or third RMA? That no longer seems reasonable given the total downtime, and so it would be a lot fairer if 28 days before refund was for the total downtime throughout a product's warranty. i.e. If a product's repair/replacement has exceeded 28 working days combined, then you'd be entitled to a refund instead.

Soldato
I think there are many retailers who need to start looking at the state of their customer service when it comes to returns. Yes, OCUK has the forums and are usually friendly and able to help. But when there is a massive retailer out there that will take returns no questions asked and just refund/replace within 1 or 2 days (even after the 30 days period stated here) and who will price match when you ask them to, it makes me wonder why I should spend £500, £1000+ etc anywhere else. I know they are huge so they can take the hit from the loss they'll make, sending the card back for repair then having to sell it as clearance but that wins customers so they make more in the long run. Harder for a smaller retailer to go to that extreme but there needs to be something done.

I know for a fact in the next 8 months I'll be upgrading everything apart from my graphics card. I will not buy from somewhere that will make me follow some long winded RMA process if anything goes wrong a few months down the line. I've been shopping with OCUK for over 13 years, but their returns process has to catch up if I'm going to continue with big purchase. I'm not sure how they can do it, maybe an arrangement with the main companies (Gigabyte, MSI, EVGA etc) so that any costs associated with having to sell a repaired product as B-Grade is covered by them and not OCUK. I don't know, was just a thought... Something needs to change because I like spending my money here :(

Associate
Thought I would add an update to the sorry saga of this graphics card, which I must add is the most expensive GPU I've ever bought and easily the worst, even though it ran well when it worked!

After the experience above I got the card back and it worked fine for a few months, then in May it suddenly stopped working again. Same as before completely dead, no warning, no artifacting just stopped working with zero signs of life. Would assume same problem but obviously can't tell so arranged another RMA with Overclockers. Again they sent it back to be repaired, again on day 27 had heard nothing so rang to check, they had heard nothing from Gigabyte so would chase and amazing next day they said it had been repaired and it got sent back to me. Sceptic in me finds it amazing that the card suddenly appears only after I chase but it may be coincidence and Gigabyte might have sent it back on day 28 both times. Anyway card was 8months old by this time and over 2 of these months it had been in for repair, 25% down time!

Put card back in worked fine, one week later it goes again, same problem. So rang Overclockers stating as this is the 3rd time the GPU has broke with what seems to be the same issue the card is either a dud (it is a revision 1.0) or Gigabyte isn't fixing it properly and I would like a replacement. They said ok and please send it back, however our system is down so we'll send you an email later. Nothing arrived so next day chased, they sent the RMA email there and then and I sent it back via DPD drop-off. Got a note from DPD saying it had been delivered ok so was hoping to get a new card within a few days... nothing... chased Overclockers who then said they hadn't received it so can I check with DPD. I checked with DPD and got tracking info stating when it arrived at Overclockers and who signed for it. Rang Overclockers back who then said ok not your problem we will get you a new card out... nothing... rang back a few days later and they then said they need to investigate where it has gone and it will be a week...

Not impressed and wondering what my options are here. I'm hoping I get a new card by the end of the week but based on my experience so far am thinking that may not happen at least without me chasing which I shouldn't have to do.

Tom

Remind me not to buy from OCUK in the future. This is terrible service from both sides. OCUK you should be providing a full refund way before now for a start. Don't even get me started about Gigabyte.
Shocking to say the least, and to then chase and wow the GPU has arrived the next day, I'm calling BS on that part.

Oh and I wonder how long this thread will stick around for :p

Soldato
I think there are many retailers who need to start looking at the state of their customer service when it comes to returns. Yes, OCUK has the forums and are usually friendly and able to help. But when there is a massive retailer out there that will take returns no questions asked and just refund/replace within 1 or 2 days (even after the 30 days period stated here) and who will price match when you ask them to, it makes me wonder why I should spend £500, £1000+ etc anywhere else. I know they are huge so they can take the hit from the loss they'll make, sending the card back for repair then having to sell it as clearance but that wins customers so they make more in the long run. Harder for a smaller retailer to go to that extreme but there needs to be something done.

I know for a fact in the next 8 months I'll be upgrading everything apart from my graphics card. I will not buy from somewhere that will make me follow some long winded RMA process if anything goes wrong a few months down the line. I've been shopping with OCUK for over 13 years, but their returns process has to catch up if I'm going to continue with big purchase. I'm not sure how they can do it, maybe an arrangement with the main companies (Gigabyte, MSI, EVGA etc) so that any costs associated with having to sell a repaired product as B-Grade is covered by them and not OCUK. I don't know, was just a thought... Something needs to change because I like spending my money here :(

isn't that the shop which has been shipping out AM4 chips that are actually old intel chips because they just accept any return and will ship out any of "said boxed item" as in hardware new's sites a few days ago ...

Remind me not to buy from OCUK in the future. This is terrible service from both sides. OCUK you should be providing a full refund way before now for a start. Don't even get me started about Gigabyte.
Shocking to say the least, and to then chase and wow the GPU has arrived the next day, I'm calling BS on that part.

Oh and I wonder how long this thread will stick around for :p

properly shorter then Asus/MSI/Zotac/EVGA as at least Their Reps check on threads every other day and offer quick service when they are involved between a buyer and CS.
Haven't seen EVGA rep since they screwed up wanting owners of their Ti products...

Soldato
Glad the gigabyte rep is gonna help, I still have a gigabyte windforce nvidia 460gtx card for playing football manager, still works perfect :D

Associate
Never buy gigabyte if you plan on keeping it after the warranty period. I bought a gigabyte reference R9 290 and motherboard in 2013. So far. Motherboard has been repaired because of ram slots causing the whole thing to crash. Gfx card replaces with a windforce 290 after a crash which was replaced with a 'new in box' 390 after it artefacts to death and this after 10months developed a fan fault which rendered the thing unusable, now outside of warranty. The longest I've had a working gigabyte gfx card is 15months. Don't do it guys

Associate
3 repairs and if the fault happens again you're 100% within your right to get a full refund! It's rubbish how you only get 30 days for a refund or else it gets sent off for repair.

Associate
This is sad to hear ...By now OP i would demand and full refund or a new replacement .... However as its happened 3 times now and i know you will not like to hear this.. there could be an issue at your end causing this to the card psu MB maybe at the fault .. true test is a new replacement of the same card .. either way them RMA turnarounds are dreadful...

Sgarrista
Commissario
Your card was repaired november last year and again june this year.
Those are the two instances we could find in our system. We will check with OCUK now

Can I ask you honestly, do you think a month turnaround for a faulty card is acceptable? How come other manufactures can deal with a turnaround in 24 hours, but Gigabyte requires a month?

Soldato
Can I ask you honestly, do you think a month turnaround for a faulty card is acceptable? How come other manufactures can deal with a turnaround in 24 hours, but Gigabyte requires a month?
I guess it depends on availability. If Gigabyte or EVGA or MSI have cards in Europe ready to replace broken cards turnaround is quicker but if there waiting for inventory from Tiwan or China then their at the mercy of their logistics companies to ship them over. I guess the relatively recent mining crazy has exasperated supply issues as well.

Associate
Thats a horror story tbf, I had to advance rma my card with EVGA and had no issues at all 3-7 days had card in my system, few days more and collateral payment in my acc

Back
Top Bottom