Overclocking the i7 920

Soldato
OP
I was in the process of typing a reply, and I had a BSOD. Couldn't quite see what it said sadly. Anyways.

I think it may have had something to do with my SATA cables. The fact that it wasn't booting properly. I had two SATA hard drives, and one SATA DVD drive. Should my system drive be on 1, storage drive on 0, and DVD drive on 2? Something like that? Not sure how this all works with SATA drives etc. If I have my system drive on 0, it won't boot.

Soldato
OP
I got my i7 to boot at 3.6GHz, but after 2 results from IntelBurnTest, it said the system was unstable. Any ideas on what to do now? Would be a real shame if I have a really bad overclocker =( but just my luck =(

Soldato
OP
Timings on RAM are 8-8-8-24

Speed: In CPU-Z it says, on the memory tab

DRAM Frequency: 720 MHz
FSB: DRAM: 2:8

Just remembered. RAM is running at 1440 MHz if I am correct 8 x 180 BCLK

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I think C1E may be on. I will have to check. Hyper Threading is on, and I think Load Line is also.

Just completed 5 runs of IntelBurnTest on high stress level, and it passed. Will try upping a bit more, and see what I get.

Associate
Massive help needed !!

Just tried to lower the vcore a little more, it crashed in windows now i cant even get into the bios.

LED code shows 26. Tried clearing the cmos via the button and removing the battery but still cant get back into the bios. Any ideas what i can do here ?

Associate
shouldn't speedstep be left on so that chip isn't always running at high speed?

If you are surfing the net certainly no need for a 4g overclock

Thats right. once your OC is stable you can enable back speedstep, CIE, etc. It makes your system running cooler when not under full load or gaming.

Soldato
Diablo please can you add a pic of your advanced cpu features...pr list what you have enabled and disabled?

I think you have just solved all my problems...cheers mate!

All the advanced features i left at default. As said my CPU isn't a great clocker so need more voltage then a lot so with testing you could get away with less core and qpi voltage.

Soldato
OP
I am one GIANT tool.

I had my freaking Vcore set to 1.13V thinking it was actually at 1.3V.

How stupid can you get! Guess I was being over safe =p

Oh well. Time to test how far I can REALLY take this baby now =D Vcore set to 1.3V for now. Will decrease once I hit 4GHz stable, and see how low she can go ^^

Soldato
From an ignoramus who does not understand I7 O/C [yet], what does the above mean?
In your piccie you have set it to 36; what is "36"?

The QPI is the data connection between the north bridge and the CPU. Certain elements of the motherboard such as the Uncore and the speed of the QPI and the speed of the cpu itself are a multiple of the thing called bclk (base clock) on my machine the bclk is at 191Mhz

Uncore 191x16=3056Mhz
QPI 191x36= 6876Mhz
CPU 191x20= 3820Mhz

Soldato
I am one GIANT tool.

I had my freaking Vcore set to 1.13V thinking it was actually at 1.3V.

How stupid can you get! Guess I was being over safe =p

Oh well. Time to test how far I can REALLY take this baby now =D Vcore set to 1.3V for now. Will decrease once I hit 4GHz stable, and see how low she can go ^^

Yeah no wonder it was crapping out :p

Soldato
Massive help needed !!

Just tried to lower the vcore a little more, it crashed in windows now i cant even get into the bios.

LED code shows 26. Tried clearing the cmos via the button and removing the battery but still cant get back into the bios. Any ideas what i can do here ?

Try leaving the battery out a little longer and make sure you hav'nt knocked something loose when you were poking around inside.

Back
Top Bottom