Overnight Oatmeal

Man of Honour
This thread is some sort of in-joke that I'm not fully appreciating yet..?

Surely...it has to be?

Again, you really seem to be struggling with how La Cuisine works. Try to keep up old chap.

You probably could reduce th r amount of liquid. I had yogurt, frozen berries and just a splash of milk.

I still don't get it though, even if you can resolve the texture issue it is way harder to achieve than varying cooking time and in the end you just get cold porridge.

I think people just don't understand that you can cool porridge to any consistency you want. To start with you can add some hot milk to porridge with no cooking at all.

For reference I add a handful of oats to my smoothies which have most mornings.

I would be much more like simply not to Make this in advance, just mix.oats with fruit and yogurt and eat fressh. That is basically what my smoothies are, just blended.

I prefer crunch to my oats so that's probably more my style too tbh. Yoghurt is one of those things that I just can't resist eating all of if I have in though so I don't tend to buy it very often.

Soldato
Again, you really seem to be struggling with how La Cuisine works. Try to keep up old chap.

'La Cusine'

'I prefer crunch to my oats so that's probably more my style too tbh.'

Unless La Cuisine is actually some sort of parody food forum then yes, I am definitely struggling to understand :D

Don't stop though. I retract my initial scorn because thread is delivering subtle yet brilliant comedy.

Man of Honour
'La Cusine'

'I prefer crunch to my oats so that's probably more my style too tbh.'

Unless La Cuisine is actually some sort of parody food forum then yes, I am definitely struggling to understand :D

Don't stop though. I retract my initial scorn because thread is delivering subtle yet brilliant comedy.

Yeah. Don't check out the now eating thread if you assume that everything in here has to be gourmet cuisine.

Rather than troll the thread just go read another. There are quite a few on OcUK.

Man of Honour
I do love this forum sometimes.

If you like your oats cooked, cook them, if you don't then don't cook them.
There's no in depth discussion needed :D

Personally I prefer my oats soaked overnight, but I'm not going to spit on you for enjoying them cooked.

Soldato
Been having these for ages, as take my breakfast to work and can do multiple days on the Sunday, ride to work shower and get eating. Usually have mine with some frozen fruit (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries etc) and some strawberry whey protein for my early morning fix.

But my favourite one was banana and peanut butter, deliciously thick which is how I love my Oats and the overnight taste from the banana and peanut butter is immense!

Associate
Just made my first ever overnight oats. I like it and I dont think it feels soggy at all, I put the ingredients in layers so there is some oats in the middle and top and the top is still nice and crunchy and the middle nice and soft. Pretty great, better than porridge and reminds me of crumble for some reason :D I wanted to use blueberries though but only found black forest mix...

Caporegime
I do love this forum sometimes.

If you like your oats cooked, cook them, if you don't then don't cook them.
There's no in depth discussion needed :D

Personally I prefer my oats soaked overnight, but I'm not going to spit on you for enjoying them cooked.

Soaking them is cooking them, it is just a slower process. Heating oats with a liquid merely increases the water absorption rate, don't alter the pRotrin ztucturr like cooking meat or eggs erc.

Man of Honour
Soaking them is cooking them, it is just a slower process. Heating oats with a liquid merely increases the water absorption rate, don't alter the pRotrin ztucturr like cooking meat or eggs erc.

Ok then if you like cooking them one way cook them that way if you don't don't.

Caporegime
Just made my first ever overnight oats. I like it and I dont think it feels soggy at all, I put the ingredients in layers so there is some oats in the middle and top and the top is still nice and crunchy and the middle nice and soft. Pretty great, better than porridge and reminds me of crumble for some reason :D I wanted to use blueberries though but only found black forest mix...

Having it in layers with oats on top that don't soak too much might help a lot. I mixed everything up and it just wasn't pleasant by the morning.

I have a feeling it would work better as a lunch time item, make it in the morning by and 4 hours later the texture is probable OK, 8-10 hours.is just too long.

Associate
I felt it worked really well. Not soggy at all, just soft but not porridge way, it felt like eating a nice pudding with cake or something in the middle. I wouldn't mix it all together though, layers were perfect.
I think I made it around 9pm and took it out and ate it at 6:45ish and it was great, again nothing like cold porridge so you must be doing it wrong...

Associate
Proats (protein oats) have been common place in the world of gym/sports people for many many years - a great way of getting calories and nutrition in :)

I can quite happily eat uncooked oats - find them rather pleasant.

You're right man, I normally just add a splash of boiling water, mix it all up and then add whey/creatine/honey.. dried fruit depending on how I feel. Delicious!

Associate
I tried this for the first time last night with a recipe that recommended 1 part oats, 1 part milk, 1 part natural yoghurt.

However, the end product seemed much too dry - does anyone have a better ratio to use?

Thanks

Commissario
I tried this for the first time last night with a recipe that recommended 1 part oats, 1 part milk, 1 part natural yoghurt.

However, the end product seemed much too dry - does anyone have a better ratio to use?

Thanks
100g frozen fruit on the bottom (I currently use 33g redcurrants, 33g blackcurrants and 33g blueberries and yes I know that's 99g).
50g oats
200g greek yogurt

Leave in fridge for eight hours minimum.

Stir in the morning if you want.

Enjoy.

Soldato
I've been doing this for nearly two weeks now in an effort to 1) have something in the morning and 2) have it not all be sweet fruit like apple etc.

Measure out oats, same of water (I started with milk but water is OK). Put that in the fridge overnight, then in the morning I put in a handfull of blueberries or whatever berry based fruits I have.

Pretty claggy so maybe I should try the yoghurt route but perfectly fine and surprisingly edible.

(I also don't have a microwave for making porridge)

Back
Top Bottom