1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overnight Oatmeal

Discussion in 'La Cuisine' started by Dimi, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Feek

Don

^^^^ That's porridge, not overnight oats :confused:

2. Maccapacca

Don

Mine at the moment

50g GF oats
    Splash of water on the oats before
    200g Fage full fat greek yoghurt
    Frozen red berry mix

Nom nom nom

3. IndigoGorilla

Wise Guy

Some people just don't understand the difference unfortunately.

4. IndigoGorilla

Wise Guy

Yeah but then you've just made Porridge. ;)

I tried it with coconut yoghurt instead which added more flavour and going to play around with adding more milk and fruit too.

5. malolo

Hitman

I do 125g strawberry skyr, 75ml milk and a squirt of maple syrup mixed together, 50g oats on top of that and then 100g of frozen forest fruits from sainsbury's. Leave it in the fridge overnight and mix it up in the morning.

Admittedly I eat it more as a snack during the day than for breakfast but it reminds me of a mixed up yoghurty cranachan.

Almond milk and cherries make it like cherry bakewell.

6. Itchytrigg

Wise Guy

Yeah I know it's more porridge than oats when heated...does it help they only got about luke warm rather than hot? Just not into them being stone cold straight out of the fridge.

Maybe if I add some granola to the top......hmmm, shall be experimenting again tonight I feel

7. malolo

Hitman

You could just not put it in the fridge so it's room temp :p

8. Itchytrigg

Wise Guy

That's crazy talk!

Ok, today's batch is much better. Increased most volumes but down on milk and have now split into 2 portions. This morning added some honey and crush country granola style clusters and it's much better.

9. D.P.

Caporegime

Of course overnight oatmeal is just cold porridge. It's simply a question of whether you want your porridge hot or cold.

10. IndigoGorilla

Wise Guy

Porridge - Definition

A dish consisting of oatmeal or another meal or cereal boiled in water or milk.

Definition of Porridge

Overnight oats arn't boiled. ;)

11. D.P.

Caporegime

The effect is the same, you can cook pasta with cold water by letting it sit over night.
    Some recipes for porridge involve soaking the oats overnight first, and then simply heating them up. That is especially true if you use pinhead oats.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  12. IndigoGorilla

Wise Guy

Still not porridge. Can't argue with a dictionary. :p

And making Pasta go soft by leaving it in cold water isn't really cooking by definition either.

Definition of Cooking

Not usually one to nit pick over little things the whole point of this thread is recipes/ideas for cold oats, not hot ones.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  13. Maccapacca

Don

Can we get to the 7th stage of (acceptance) and realise no one cares and move on?

14. Dalandius

Gangster

Aye nice and warm :D

15. Scam

Capodecina

Bump! Now that we're having nice hot weather the girlfriend and I have swapped from hot porridge to muesli and yoghurt in the mornings. Went away at the weekend and the hotel had some lush bircher muesli on the buffet.

So I ask you, surely overnight oats and bircher muesli are essentially the same thing just with slightly different fruit added?

I still haven't tried overnight oats but think I should. Porridge oats are much cheaper than muesli.

For porridge, we normally do 1 ramekin of oats to 2 ramekins liquid (normally one water, one milk). I'm guessing a ramekin is about half a cup. I have natural yoghurt, milk and porridge oats so what ratio should I use for overnight oats? :)

16. jpaul

Mobster

still alternating porridge(touch of cream, maple syrup sometimes) and muesli, best of both worlds, and, like benfits of a hot(not alternating) mug of tea on a hot day, does that not follow for porridge.

Isn't the grated/macerated apple/fruit part of the Bircher recipe a distinguishing feature ?, but agree soak looks the same.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  17. Scam

Capodecina

Yeah it seems the bircher is usually soaked in fruit juice -- or with fruit in it I guess :confused:

18. jpaul

Mobster

from the Bircher recipe, pre-soak(infusion?) is just water nothing acidic, the apple is only added the following day -
    grating the apple, however, may give a degree of mixing/incorporation of ingrediants that most other mueseli, over-night recipes do not share
    so maybe a different texture, mouth-feel ( I need to try it. )

The origin appears to be that many people in the Bircher sanotoriums did not have teeth

19. Psycho Sonny

Capodecina

you can put anything in these as you would a smoothie or shake.

peanut butter
    goji berries
    cacao nibs
    banana
    blueberries
    honey
    maple syrup

the list is endless

i make mine using oat milk, coconut milk, almond milk, etc instead of cows milk.

usually 20% of jar is milk, 2-3 large scoops of oats, then toppings. give it a shake then put in the fridge overnight.

no need for fancy jars. i just re-used a mayonnaise one. they come with plastic (not paper glued on) branding over the top. cleaned it out and it's now my overnight oats jar.

20. CircleFaust

Mobster

tried my first overnight oats this morning. just very plain one but it wasnt bad. the yogurt i bought was a bit sweet
    going to try adding banana and a few other things next time
    i need to get some small jars to store it in then i can maybe bring to work with me for an addition to my lunch